E-Readers, Suggestions and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got a cover for my Kindle ($24) and am quite pleased. The trade off is that my Kindle is no longer as light and portable as it was. It feels more like a hardcover than a paperback (weight wise) now. Hurts more when you fall asleep reading too! LOL!

I love the cover on mine, no accidentally hitting buttons and I can toss it into whatever bag I'm hauling that day.

it will be my grandson, or someone like him who brings us the first kindle with backlighting....

Sorry - don't think so - lol!! Adding backlighting to a Kindle has always been possible - no need for some protege to invent it. They're made without backlighting on purpose.

Not having backlighting is the whole point of being able to read a Kindle in extremely bright light - particularly outdoors in raw sunlight. Having backlighting would produce the glare that other readers that have it suffer from.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I love the cover on mine, no accidentally hitting buttons and I can toss it into whatever bag I'm hauling that day.

I have both the standard black leather cover and a waterproof one. Love 'em both.

Yep, thats the best part. Not worrying about smashing the crap out of it. After killing two other Kindles I'm being a bit careful with this one. I don't want to totally abuse the Amazon customer service.

Sorry - don't think so - lol!! Adding backlighting to a Kindle has always been possible - no need for some protege to invent it. They're made without backlighting on purpose.

Not having backlighting is the whole point of being able to read a Kindle in extremely bright light - particularly outdoors in raw sunlight. Having backlighting would produce the glare that other readers that have it suffer from.

Hey Breezy, you have a Kindle? And maybe vitauta means a backlight that can you can turn on at will.

BreezyCooking said:

You are so right, Breezy. I don't even bother taking my IPad outside.

the nook i have does show page numbers. with my font size set at xl though, the page number may remain the same for three or four pages in a row. what i miss are the easy flip-backs to reread or revisit a passage or page. i am enjoying doing my reading on an ereader more and more as time passes. i am somewhat surprised at my utter lack of nostalgia of the paper books, however.

I have a Nook color and their is a bookmark option on it so you can go back to certain pages. I haven't figured out yet how to flip around from bookmark to bookmark.

The Nook color has a touch screen, so I have to slide my finger to turn the page, which leaves finger prints on my screen. I wish it had the button page turner.

Both being avid readers, this past Xmas my husband & I coincidentally surprised each other with Kindles - lol!! And we unwrapped them at the exact same time as well - lol!

I gave him the cover with the little built-in reading light, & while not fabulously illuminating, he absolutely LOVED it when we lost power a couple of nights ago for several hours.

I just got a cover for my Kindle ($24) and am quite pleased. The trade off is that my Kindle is no longer as light and portable as it was. It feels more like a hardcover than a paperback (weight wise) now. Hurts more when you fall asleep reading too! LOL!

That could be a good thing for me. I've stuck it in my back pocket a few times and forgot it was there. In case anyone was wondering, they snap right back together :angel:

That could be a good thing for me. I've stuck it in my back pocket a few times and forgot it was there. In case anyone was wondering, they snap right back together :angel:

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! You can join my Kindle Killer Klub. Doesn't sound like you actually murdered yours though, just a little damage. ;)

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! You can join my Kindle Killer Klub. Doesn't sound like you actually murdered yours though, just a little damage. ;)

At first I thought that small gap by the power button was an air vent I hadn't noticed, then when it started getting bigger I noticed it was coming unsnapped. Apparently from me sitting down with it in my back pocket. oops.

Whoo-Hoo
I just changed a book I had on my pc from pdf to txt and sent it to my Kindle email. It then transferred to my Kindle in Kindle format. Just like it said it would. The only glitch being that it has my email addy listed next to the book's title where the author usually is. Pretty cool though.

Whoo-Hoo
I just changed a book I had on my pc from pdf to txt and sent it to my Kindle email. It then transferred to my Kindle in Kindle format. Just like it said it would. The only glitch being that it has my email addy listed next to the book's title where the author usually is. Pretty cool though.

Way cool...I have several e-books on my computer that I downloaded from Gutenberg Project.

hey, anyone else think we're getting ripped off on the ebooks, selling for 12.99 on average for recent/current publications? right now i am especially irate about the shameless lack of editing i'm encountering in ebooks for which i am paying good money. never in my history of reading books had i seen such rampant and outrageous misspellings and typos as now in the ebooks. and they are so severe as to obscure the intended meanings of entire sentences. reading a book such as wally lamb's she's come undone became a difficult and frustrating chore for me. repeatedly i had to stop and try to decipher a phrase here, a word there. from page 300 on, there had to have been at least two or three dozen misspellings. that sort of carelessness and sloppy editing practices interferes with reading comprehension and pleasure. book dealers point to the publishers, ducking responsibility for the content of the books they are selling to the public.

I get a lot of stuff either for free or 99. I think you should also check on your library's selection of eBooks.

Vit, I am surprised that the e-books aren't quite a bit less money. And yes, the couple I have downloaded have lots of typos and wrong words. I was wondering how the book could have been published with those kinds of mistakes. I didn't realize that they may have occurred during transfer. It's like they need proof read again.

Vit, I am surprised that the e-books aren't quite a bit less money. And yes, the couple I have downloaded have lots of typos and wrong words. I was wondering how the book could have been published with those kinds of mistakes. I didn't realize that they may have occurred during transfer. It's like they need proof read again.

and spell check will only take you so far - in matters of content and context spell check is useless....

Most of the books I buy are no more than $5. I did across one book that had horrible editing. I wrote to Amazon, where I bought the book. They offered to refund the price of the purchase. I declined because I was still able to read it, but I really just wanted to let them know there was an issue. They asked if I would send examples and they in turn sent those to the publisher.

most of the books i buy are under ten dollars and free. i'll put up with terrible or nonexistent editing when the books are free or inexpensive. i have much less tolerance for typos and wrong words however when i'm spending $10-$15 for an ebook. and i wonder what exactly we are paying these higher prices for, when the paperback version often sells for less than the ebook. convenience? instant gratification? what? just one more complaint and i'll be quiet. promise. recently i bought a betty white ebook for my mom. it cost $12.99 and consisted of only 76 pages. now i know that we don't buy books by the page or the pound either, but come on....

Last edited:
continual problems with downloading ebooks to my nook, and so far it only happens with the free ones. the problem is referred back to the book publisher who may or may not eventually rectify the problem....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom