E-Readers, Suggestions and Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
*happy dance* I just figured out how to download library books onto my Kindle. I may never STOP reading now.

Alix said:
*happy dance* I just figured out how to download library books onto my Kindle. I may never STOP reading now.

How did you do that? I haven't looked into that aspect yet. 'Course I have tons of books on Kindle I have yet to read, and still can't pass up the free ones...

Quick Kindle question:

Can I purchase a book on my computer and then it will be automatically sent to my Kindle, or do all purchases need to be done using the actual Kindle?
Just wondering if I can do this while my Kindle is getting its first charge.

And... why don't they give this thing a virtual keyboard and make the screen close to the size of a real book? OK, maybe that's a question for the Kindle engineers, but it would be nice ;^)

pacanis said:
Quick Kindle question:

Can I purchase a book on my computer and then it will be automatically sent to my Kindle, or do all purchases need to be done using the actual Kindle?
Just wondering if I can do this while my Kindle is getting its first charge.

And... why don't they give this thing a virtual keyboard and make the screen close to the size of a real book? OK, maybe that's a question for the Kindle engineers, but it would be nice ;^)

Yes you can. Just use your Amazon account on anything, like smartphone, pc, etc. I like the "one click" option which means you don't need to enter all your info every time.

You will then find it in your Kindle's archives, and when you select it, it will download via Whispersync, and you have your book!

Last edited:
Thanks Dawgluver, Thanks GB.
And good point about the ink. It probably requires a special screen setup. Wishful thinking, as I didn't realize the screen would be so small. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Oh, and Dawgluver, me and Amazon's one-click are all too familiar, lol

Thanks Dawgluver, Thanks GB.
And good point about the ink. It probably requires a special screen setup. Wishful thinking, as I didn't realize the screen would be so small. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Oh, and Dawgluver, me and Amazon's one-click are all too familiar, lol

You can make the print bigger...:)

I've already bumped the font up one size, PF.
Right now I am reading the User Guide, lol. Like I'll be able to remember half that stuff...

This doesn't have a backlight, does it? I can't find anything about contrast or backlighting so I can read it in the dark... Who makes an electronic device without backlighting? Tell me this has some kind of backlight and I just can't find it.

There is no backlight. Believe it or not that is actually a good thing. That is the reason it is so easy and enjoyable to use in bright sunlight. That is also the reason the battery life is so ridiculously long. The only power it uses is turning the pages or downloading.

You can use a regular book light with it just as you do with dtb's. Sone Kindle cases even have built in lights that run off the power of the Kindle.

Thanks GB. The more I tried to find an answer, the more I realized it probably didn't have one. Like you said earlier about a virtual keyboard, it probably has something to do with the ink. It does read nice in normal lighting.

I have a waterproof case for my Kindle and take it to the pool with me. Have used a ziplock in a pinch. The Ipad and cell phone are unreadable in bright sunlight, Kindle works great outside.

Thanks GB. The more I tried to find an answer, the more I realized it probably didn't have one. Like you said earlier about a virtual keyboard, it probably has something to do with the ink. It does read nice in normal lighting.

We spent the extra and got the covers with lights, i feel much better about throwing it in a bag that way AND I can read in the dark...but I usually just turn a light on. It was handy reading in the car when it got dark.

We spent the extra and got the covers with lights, i feel much better about throwing it in a bag that way AND I can read in the dark...but I usually just turn a light on. It was handy reading in the car when it got dark.

Dang, this just showed up as a "new" post :huh:
Thanks. I'll probably end up doing just that.
I wondered why the covers were so expensive. I didn't realize they had a light in them that ran off the Kindle's battery. I never really looked at their description, just that they were fifty some bucks :(

pacanis said:
Dang, this just showed up as a "new" post :huh:
Thanks. I'll probably end up doing just that.
I wondered why the covers were so expensive. I didn't realize they had a light in them that ran off the Kindle's battery. I never really looked at their description, just that they were fifty some bucks :(

A cover is definitely a good idea. As my Kindle is older, the lighted cover wasn't out when I got it. I use a clip-on booklight.

I'd like a cover if only to hide those stupid wallpapers, lol.

Can anyone who is "plugged in" to the pulse of the ebook world look up a book for me and see if it's available for Kindle? Please. Google didn't turn up anything using the term ebook and it's not in the Kindle Store.
It's called, Joshua Son of None
I read it a loooong time ago, lent it out, never got it back. I'd love to see if it's as good now as it was when I was a kid.

pacanis said:
I'd like a cover if only to hide those stupid wallpapers, lol.

Can anyone who is "plugged in" to the pulse of the ebook world look up a book for me and see if it's available for Kindle? Please. Google didn't turn up anything using the term ebook and it's not in the Kindle Store.
I read it a loooong time ago, lent it out, never got it back. I'd love to see if it's as good now as it was when I was a kid.

Is it an older book? There are a number of free services, like the Gugenheim Project, where you can download older books for free. There is also a way to get free library books. Audiobooks has an almost free service. You can also contact the publisher thru Amazon to request they make their books available for Kindle. Another resource I highly recommend is the free Kindle Nation newsletter, from Steve Windwalker. It lists many freebies and discounts, as well as breaking Kindle news articles. He also has a couple of books which I found very helpful downloadable to Kindle. Kindle User's Guide is one.

Kindle has a bit of a learning curve. It is a rudimentary computer. But once you get beyond that, it is such a fun little machine!

Just found out it is not currently available on Kindle, but I went on Amazon and requested it to be. If enough folks do this, the publisher may be swayed. There is automatically a box to check to request it or any book be on Kindle when you look it up on Amazon.

Last edited:

I've searched everywhere I can think of to look and all I can find is paperback or hardcover. No ebook available.

And just to go back to your buying books on the computer rather than the kindle, I do that all the time. I prefer to do it that way as the search function is much simpler. My books go directly to the Kindle as well as the archive. You can set where the book goes on the right hand side. It should say "Deliver to:" and then you can specify the place.

Having fun yet? Did you find the freebies?

I'm currently reading Promises in Death by JD Robb on the Kindle. Its the library book I downloaded. I'm also reading Odd Thomas in DTB version. I am a bit afraid that something is going to happen to Stormy and I'm not happy about that.

Is it an older book?
Yes, I read it as a kid, something like 34 years ago.

There are a number of free services, like the Gugenheim Project, where you can download older books for free.
Gugenheim took me to Guggenheim took me to Project Gutenberg, which did not have it. I'm not sure I was on the correct site though... It was the only site I saw with ebooks.

There is also a way to get free library books.
Do you have a link to the library ebooks?

Audiobooks has an almost free service. You can also contact the publisher thru Amazon to request they make their books available for Kindle. Another resource I highly recommend is the free Kindle Nation newsletter, from Steve Windwalker. It lists many freebies and discounts, as well as breaking Kindle news articles. He also has a couple of books which I found very helpful downloadable to Kindle. Kindle User's Guide is one.
My Kindle came with the users guide.

Kindle has a bit of a learning curve. It is a rudimentary computer. But once you get beyond that, it is such a fun little machine!
Yes, it's a neat little unit. Too bad you can't mark a book as "read" though. I can't imagine purchasing a reference book and always getting taken to the last page I was on, when really I'd like it to open at the beginning, or table of contents. They say they are working on that, as there is a lot of requests for it. Maybe PF can weigh in on this. I remember her saying she has some medical reference books on hers.

Just found out it is not currently available on Kindle, but I went on Amazon and requested it to be. If enough folks do this, the publisher may be swayed. There is automatically a box to check to request it or any book be on Kindle when you look it up on Amazon.
Thanks! I requested it when I saw it wasn't available, too.

Thanks again :)

Yes, it's a neat little unit. Too bad you can't mark a book as "read" though. I can't imagine purchasing a reference book and always getting taken to the last page I was on, when really I'd like it to open at the beginning, or table of contents. They say they are working on that, as there is a lot of requests for it. Maybe PF can weigh in on this. I remember her saying she has some medical reference books on hers.

I use the Go to...function a lot. You need to bookmark pages for yourself (add bookmark), and then if its a spot you regularly use, hit the menu and Go To that bookmark. Especially handy for reference guides like the DSM manual.

Back
Top Bottom