Earthquake...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Living in Fresno, CA, I was watching the start of the World Series when the1989 Loma Prieta earthquake happened..

I rushed to the back yard and witnessed 2 foot high waves in the pool.. Fresno is approx. 185 miles from SF.. It was fascinating to see that much action from that distance..

Ross

That San Francisco quake in 89 has another meaning to me. I was on the phone with my half sister who lived there and was telling her my Dad had passed away an hour before. She started screaming and the line went dead. I thought she was reacting to Dad's death, but she was in the middle of the earthquake. I always felt than when my Dad joined my Mom again, they made the earth move. ;)

Last edited:
That San Francisco quake in 89 has another meaning to me. I was on the phone with my half sister who lived there and was telling her my Dad had passed away an hour before. She started screaming and the line went dead. I thought she was reacting to Dad's death, but she was in the middle of the earthquake. I always felt than when my Dad joined my Mom again, they made the earth move. ;)

Sorry about your dad but, great story.. I'm sure both mom and dad are grinning..

Ross

Breaking news...

At 8.20 pm there was another even larger earthquake of 6.9 in Ridgecrest where Cheryl is!!
It was significantly stronger here than it was yesterday.

Cheryl, hang tight and we are all thinking (and praying) for you and yours.

At 8.20 pm there was another even larger earthquake of 6.9 in Ridgecrest where Cheryl is!!
It was significantly stronger here than it was yesterday.

Cheryl, hang tight and we are all thinking (and praying) for you and yours.
Absolutely! Hoping you come through this with no significant damage [emoji813]

I just read about the bigger one at Ridgecrest. I read that it was 7.1. Kay, did you feel that one?

I hope all is well with Cheryl and that we hear from her soon.

Edit from above...it was upgraded to a 7.1........YKIES

Yes Taxi, we absolutely felt it much stronger than yesterday..nothing broken here though.

Last edited:
Wow, Kayelle, 7.1? :shock: For sure we'll all be worrying about Cheryl until she checks back in with us.

Hey Cheryl, do we need to send the hounds out to get you? Hang in there! Hugs and love...

I read a news story yesterday where a leading seismologist predicted a 50-percent chance of another quake within days of yesterday's quake. The story didn't say why, so I didn't think that much about it.

The Richter scale doesn't give a good picture of earthquake strength. The amount of energy released increases 31.7 times between whole number values. So, this one was 20-plus times more powerful than yesterday's.

Like everyone else, I hope Cheryl is okay. It will sure be nice when she can post something here to let us know she is okay. It may take a while. I'm guessing internet service is sketchy right now.

CD

Considering Cheryl's description of the quake when she checked in on Wednesday, I bet all services are sketchy, cd. I just hope and pray her house is still OK. I bet that the seismologist you referenced was Dr. Lucy Jones. She explained that with each ".1" uptick in the richter scale number indicates that the strength of the quake is double that of the .1 measure below. Basically, a 6.1 is twice as strong as a 6.0, a 6.2 is twice as strong as a 6.1, etc.

I've had CBSN streaming in the background while I've been playing online. Dr. Jones was explaining the likelihood of more quakes. She mentioned that the likelihood of another 7.0 or greater quake in the next week is 11%, 6.0+ quake is 65%, 5.0+ is greater, etc. She is on explaining "stuff" right now, and just said "and I felt that one just now". :ohmy: She's been saying that these aftershocks (or more foreshocks, if an even bigger event is still up ahead) could continue for months to come.

I'm ok, thanks all for asking. On my phone in the dark so.its.hard to.tyle, that last one was a doozies and my daughter came to pick me up so I wouldn't be alone . No power, Victoria and Tylwr an I are camping out on sleeping bags in the bed of her truck. Helicopters and sirens all over, we are just chilling, talking and looking up at the stars.. sorry, 8m sure there are lots of typos. Thank you all, text you back tomorrow.,

Good to hear that you're as fine as you can be, Cheryl, under the circumstances. Enjoy the stars - and I hope you or or daughter remembered the bug spray. ;)

Considering Cheryl's description of the quake when she checked in on Wednesday, I bet all services are sketchy, cd. I just hope and pray her house is still OK. I bet that the seismologist you referenced was Dr. Lucy Jones. She explained that with each ".1" uptick in the richter scale number indicates that the strength of the quake is double that of the .1 measure below. Basically, a 6.1 is twice as strong as a 6.0, a 6.2 is twice as strong as a 6.1, etc.

I've had CBSN streaming in the background while I've been playing online. Dr. Jones was explaining the likelihood of more quakes. She mentioned that the likelihood of another 7.0 or greater quake in the next week is 11%, 6.0+ quake is 65%, 5.0+ is greater, etc. She is on explaining "stuff" right now, and just said "and I felt that one just now". :ohmy: She's been saying that these aftershocks (or more foreshocks, if an even bigger event is still up ahead) could continue for months to come.

Yes, it was Dr. Jones. I just didn't recall the name when I posted.

I think I'd be sleeping in tent, or if I didn't have a tent, my car -- away from anything that could fall down.

CD

I'm ok, thanks all for asking. On my phone in the dark so.its.hard to.tyle, that last one was a doozies and my daughter came to pick me up so I wouldn't be alone . No power, Victoria and Tylwr an I are camping out on sleeping bags in the bed of her truck. Helicopters and sirens all over, we are just chilling, talking and looking up at the stars.. sorry, 8m sure there are lots of typos. Thank you all, text you back tomorrow.,

Glad to hear you are okay. I hope you got some sleep, snuggled up with family in that truck bed.

CD

Glad you're OK, Cheryl!

Some earthquake safety tips here for everyone.

Check your bedroom to see how close the sliding closet doors are to your bed, if you have any. My friends had those kinds of doors on their closets on each side of their bed. Both sets of doors were knocked off their tracks and fell over on the bed. Bing bang. That might be something you want to change if you have those kinds of closet doors.

Look at what's around your kitchen or dining room table. These same friends had a hutch with glass doors against the wall with their dining room table in the middle of the room. The dining room table fell over first, then the hutch came down on top of the fallen table. If someone had been under that table and hadn't held on to it, they would have been sliced up with glass. Please make sure to bolt all heavy furniture to the wall. Please bolt your house to the foundation. I thought every house in California had already done that but from what I've read about this quake, apparently not. And bolt your hot water heater to the wall as well.

Even if you do that, books are going to slide out. Make sure never to be near bookshelves while there's an earthquake going on. I know at West Valley College after Loma Prieta, they were worried students had been buried by the library books.

Always keep a pair of shoes and a flashlight next to your bed.

Keep your bed away from windows (I have to admit, I have my own bed right under a window - I'm not too bright). Windows can shatter in an earthquake.

Under no circumstances get between cars or cars and any building or unmovable object during an earthquake. During Loma Prieta, I saw cars jumping and moving against the curbs. On the hood is safer. You want to keep your legs.

Always make sure to keep your pets chipped and the info updated. If you have animals in cages, you might want to keep a bread tie around the door so they can't escape if the cage falls over.

Have a copy of your important documents like a DL, passport, etc, within easy reach. That way if they close off neighborhoods to all but the residents, you can prove you're a resident. This happened in the Santa Cruz Mts when they closed off Hwy 17 that ran between San Jose and Santa Cruz. Unless you had proof that you lived up in the mountains, you weren't going to get on that highway, courtesy of the Highway Patrol.

Expect the damage to be severe. Water mains will break, trees may come down and bring down power lines, and cell phones towers will be jammed. Water, gas, and electric may be turned off for days. Gas stations, laundromats, banks, and stores will be closed. Make a plan ahead of time to let your relatives outside the area know you are safe if you get the chance to post online. Also make the same plan with members of your family in case a quake comes while you are separated during the day.

It doesn't hurt to have your upper kitchen cabinets latch shut if you can stand it. Again, my friend's kitchen drawers all opened, then the cabinet doors opened, and all the contents, including dishes, all slid out and broke. Her fridge doors also opened and most of the food slid out from there as well. Not sure what you can do about that.

If you keep water in plastic gallon jugs, make sure the caps are the screw on caps, not the ones that just flip off.

I can't tell anyone to stay inside during a quake. Yeah, I know all about how you're not supposed to run out of buildings during a quake, but I've seen the pictures of collapsed multi-floor buildings and I'll take my chances getting out if I'm in an older building. Never stand next to anything built of brick while there's a quake. Those are always the first things to come down.

The other thing I would suggest is everyone get a small solar panel to charge phones with and maybe keep it in their car.

Cheryl, you might be feeling aftershocks for weeks and weeks. Don't let them get to you. Believe it or not, you're going to eventually be able to just let them roll and not worry about them. And at this point, consider that you've come through the worst. I've been through both the Loma Prieta quake and the Nisqually quake in Seattle and as far as I'm concerned, a 5.0 is now a baby quake and nothing to even turn a hair over. You really do get that blase about them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom