Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PiecesOfGlass

Assistant Cook
This is so off-topic, but anyway. We had an earthquake in Sweden this morning. Not a big one (4.7 they said) but still. I'm sure that's nothing for you, but we never have earthquakes here. Never. I can't recall there ever having been one.. They said it was the biggest since 1903 or something like that. I woke up in the morning and was all "What the..?" It wasn't very big where I live; most of my friends slept through it, but I was only half asleep. It was a bit scary actually.

That's one of the best things with Sweden. Catastrophes are rare. Sure we have storms, and even hurricanes, but they never get anywhere near as bad as in the US...

Oh well. I just had to tell someone that didn't already know :pig:

4.7 is significant but not large enough to cause damage. Glad to hear it wasn't a damaging quake. Anything larger, you might have found Pieces Of Glass all over your kitchen floor.

Erie, where I live by, had an earthquake years ago. In the shop where I worked, the hanging fluorescent lights started swinging a little. I didn't feel it, but some people did. Up until then I don't think anybody that lived here knew we were located on the Niagara Fault. I guess you never know until it happens.

I remember years ago, when I was in high school, I woke up ( at about 6am) to the pictures on my walls shaking, and a rumbling. I figured it was a truck riding by or maybe a low flying helicopter, only to find out it was a minor earthquake when I watched the news later on. Nothing serious at all, just surprising since we rarely , if ever get an earthquake here on LI New York. I actually wished I was awake at the time and knew what was going on so I could have consciously experienced it.

We have them once in awhile around here... NOT FUN!!! They say the BIG one is coming!! And I'm not looking forward to it. It's a very weird feeling to have the "Earth Move Under Your Feet"

Glad you are safe and sound now POG!!

It is very scary, these kinds of things.. I checked that link jpmcgrew posted and they happen all the time! And here I go by safely day after day under the impression that earthquakes and catastrophes are the rare exceptions. Boy was I wrong!
Guess I've been living too protected.

The horrible thing is that I don't even react on reports about any sort of terrible thing when I see it on the news. It happens too often. I feel like a villain.

roadfix, I liked that pun. I certainly wouldn't have been able to come up with it. :P

There was a small earthquake in South Carolina (down in Charleston) this morning as well. There was a major one there in the 1800s, but this one was something like 3.7. I'm originally from California and have felt a few.

:)Barbara

cara, it does make sense that people felt it in northern germany too. For example, I would imagine that Stralsund and Rostock are more close to the epicenter than my home town, or at least equally close, and if we felt it.. Well, you get the picture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom