"Earworm"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's the whole verse

Attachments

• zj8K5s2.jpg
    zj8K5s2.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 221
I have had that old sea shanty "Blow the Man Down" going through my head for the last couple of weeks. Over and over and over. Heaven knows where I picked it up, but it doesn't want to go away. I would gladly trade you for almost any of the other earworms mentioned on this thread. Well, except for the baby bumblebee song. :LOL:

...Way, hey, blow the man down... :whistling:

Grrrrrr.....

I enjoy torturing DH with singing Pearl Jam's "Seasons don't fear the Beagle"....and then it sticks in my head. And then it sticks in my head.

Welcome!

"Like the wind and the sun and the rain. Come on Beagle..."

Last edited:
Had one for a week!

When I was little (and grown up, too!) and my Dad caught me in the house in my bare feet he'd sing a little ditty which went "Put your shoes on Lucy, don't you know you're in the city. Put your shoes on Lucy you're a big girl now". I've never heard it anywhere else then or since I always assumed he'd made it up but last week on BBC Radio4 Extra, which re-plays a lot of old radio programmes fro way back when, broadcast an episode of "Take It From Here" and the musical interlude was a group singing the Lucy song....

.......and I've been stuck with the damned thing ever since! But I only ever knew the line quoted above which makes it worse. I've looked up the rest of the words but the earworm is only letting me have the one line.

There are better songs to remind me of my Dad. He had a very good bass-baritone voice and sang a lot of the then popular songs around the house, such as "You Belong To Me" - which has the line "See the pyramids along the Nile, Watch the sunrise from a tropic isle" and which as a small girl I thought was "See the pyramids along the Nile, Watch the sunrise on a crocodile". Took dad ages to work out what Imeant when I kept saying "Sing the crocodile song, Daddy".

The Lucy song was known on this side of the pond also. A WWII ditty. And the crocodile song was sung by Jo Stafford with the Bob Crosby band. Popular during the 50's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yELDtY53984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjfhOPuAOM

Last edited:
The Lucy song was known on this side of the pond also. A WWII ditty. And the crocodile song was sung by Jo Stafford with the Bob Crosby band. Popular during the 50's.

Hank Fort - Put Your Shoes On Lucy - YouTube

You Belong To Me-lyrics-Jo Stafford - YouTube

Thanks for mentioning Jo Stafford - I'm now stuck with Jonathon and Darlene Edwards truly excruciating version of "The Last Time I Saw Paris"!!!!

In case you are younger than Addie and I, Jonathon and Darlene were "comedy" alter egos of Jo Stafford and her husband, Paul Weston. Their version of "Cocktails for Two" runs a close second to the Spike Jones version.

Incidentally, Jo Stafford's 1952 version of "You Belong To Me" was the first song by a female singer to top the UK charts

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom