"Earworm"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Had one for a week!

When I was little (and grown up, too!) and my Dad caught me in the house in my bare feet he'd sing a little ditty which went "Put your shoes on Lucy, don't you know you're in the city. Put your shoes on Lucy you're a big girl now". I've never heard it anywhere else then or since I always assumed he'd made it up but last week on BBC Radio4 Extra, which re-plays a lot of old radio programmes fro way back when, broadcast an episode of "Take It From Here" and the musical interlude was a group singing the Lucy song....

.......and I've been stuck with the damned thing ever since! But I only ever knew the line quoted above which makes it worse. I've looked up the rest of the words but the earworm is only letting me have the one line.

There are better songs to remind me of my Dad. He had a very good bass-baritone voice and sang a lot of the then popular songs around the house, such as "You Belong To Me" - which has the line "See the pyramids along the Nile, Watch the sunrise from a tropic isle" and which as a small girl I thought was "See the pyramids along the Nile, Watch the sunrise on a crocodile". Took dad ages to work out what Imeant when I kept saying "Sing the crocodile song, Daddy".

Oh I thought this posting was about bugs!

That is a cute song. I have never heard this.

With love,
~Cat

My mother also sang Put Your Shoes on Lucy to me. My mother sang all day. I learned so many songs from her. I remember when she sang "Angie the Christmas Tree Angel" every Christmas when we decorated the tree. I told my husband about it and he said she probably made up that song because he never heard of it. Finally, I found a cassette of old Christmas songs with that song on it, and when I listened to it I cried.

Oh I thought this posting was about bugs!

That is a cute song. I have never heard this.

With love,
~Cat

Cat, I am going to teach you a new word. Earworm. An Earworm is when you hear a song and then you can't get it out of you head for hours or even days.

Cat, I am going to teach you a new word. Earworm. An Earworm is when you hear a song and then you can't get it out of you head for hours or even days.

Thank you! I'll remember this!

I've had earworms before. It's only bad when it is a horrible song you do'nt like.

With love,
~Cat

I just go to read or write to my journal and listen to the comedy station on Iheart Radio, or go play piano or guitar to chase off the earworm.

With love,
~Cat

I've never heard of that song and I don't want to....it will probably become stuck in my head! LOL

I really hate when I am trying to fall asleep and I get an earworm.

The Oscar Mayer wiener or bologna songs work to kill earworms, too.

If I('m going to have an earworm, I want it to be one of my choosing. What's weird is when Shrek and I discover we are sharing the same earworm. That's when all the really silly songs come out.

The Oscar Mayer wiener or bologna songs work to kill earworms, too.

If I('m going to have an earworm, I want it to be one of my choosing. What's weird is when Shrek and I discover we are sharing the same earworm. That's when all the really silly songs come out.

Please don't sing us your earworm here. I'm having a bad time with the MASH show of the theme song and I certainly wish to refrain from using sharp objects at the moment.

With love,
~Cat

Great, now baby bumble bee is stuck in my head.

Hush. You have this easy. I'm listening to a channel on the radio which just played, "Run, Joey, Run."

If that isn't completely horrifying, I don't know what is. I am going to bed and pretend this did not happen.

With love,
~Cat

The other day I had the phrase "Pining for the fields!?" in a shrieking John Clese voice (curse you dead parrot sketch) running through my head over and over again. That was sooooo annoying.

The actual line was, "pining for the fjords". 'Cuz the bird was a Norwegian Blue...

running madly away

Back
Top Bottom