"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
dw went out to get her nails done, and the boy was misbehaving around about that time.

i kept trying to get him to come outside to help me work on the yard, so when I got angry, the earth shook!
it was freakin great timng!

he won't misbehave again for a while, lol.
That's fantastic!

I sure hope they weren't on the painting part of DW's nails when it hit.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Apparently I'm going to be useless in a real emergency. I only got as far as calling my daughter over to me by the time it was over. They're doing road work outside our apartment complex and I was in the front room facing the street and thought "Oh crap. Did they just hit something? Should I be expecting an explosion soon? Should we go hide in the pantry?" Because you know, our pantry is the most interior room in the apartment, so that's what I'd do in a tornado. Never mind the fact that if there was an explosion or earthquake that did any damage that'd probably be the best place for us to get buried... By the time it occurred to me that it could have been an earthquake it was over.

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
A 5.9 shaker on the west coast would hardly make the local news...

Now, all I hear on TV are a bunch of east coast whimps!
I was thinking the same thing, Selkie, glad you said it.

Now if we ever had a tornado or a hurricane coming at us I'd be shaking in my boots. Being raised here, damage free earthquakes once in a while are just part of life. No big deal. Little kids think they are fun. I remember my 3 yr old little boy (40 yrs ago) asking "who did that?" I said "God". He looked at the sky and said "Hey God, do that again".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #24
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
We felt it here...Never felt an earthquake before.....Not certain I want to again!
Earthquake and a wild fire where you are....is that still burning?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #25
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I was thinking the same thing, Selkie, glad you said it.

Now if we ever had a tornado or a hurricane coming at us I'd be shaking in my boots. Being raised here, damage free earthquakes once in a while are just part of life. No big deal. Little kids think they are fun. I remember my 3 yr old little boy (40 yrs ago) asking "who did that?" I said "God". He looked at the sky and said "Hey God, do that again".
When I moved to California, the first earthquake really shook me up - pun intended. Broken glass everywhere and my walls were bare. Afterwards, I assembled an "Earthquake emergency kit." Before moving from California, I had experienced several earthquakes, but they always left me wary. At work today, everyone felt the tremor throughout the building. Based on my California memories, I was surprised at my nonchalant attitude. "Nothing even dropped off of the walls. No worries." Regardless, we followed the emergency procedures and evacuated the building.

As for other natural potential emergencies, we currently have a hurricane traveling this way and it should be here by the weekend. Tornadoes and very high winds have always frightened me.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout
Apparently I'm going to be useless in a real emergency. I only got as far as calling my daughter over to me by the time it was over. They're doing road work outside our apartment complex and I was in the front room facing the street and thought "Oh crap. Did they just hit something? Should I be expecting an explosion soon? Should we go hide in the pantry?" Because you know, our pantry is the most interior room in the apartment, so that's what I'd do in a tornado. Never mind the fact that if there was an explosion or earthquake that did any damage that'd probably be the best place for us to get buried... By the time it occurred to me that it could have been an earthquake it was over.
Well, now you know that you need to sit down with the DH and discuss strategies for each type of emergency you can think of. If you know something in particular is a weekness you can always practice drills.

In your defense though, you are on the east coast. Not used to expecting an earthquake on the east coast.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Well, now you know that you need to sit down with the DH and discuss strategies for each type of emergency you can think of. If you know something in particular is a weekness you can always practice drills.

In your defense though, you are on the east coast. Not used to expecting an earthquake on the east coast.

THANK YOU!!!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #28
Master Chef

The bedrock on the east coast is A LOT denser. If we had a quake like hits on the west coast it would probably do A LOT more damage especially considering our buildings and emergency response are NO WHERE near as prepared for as that of the west coast.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #29
Head Chef

Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
Earthquake and a wild fire where you are....is that still burning?
Yes, it is still burning. If Irene brings enough rain it will be good. I ain't looking forward to the wind.