"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2011, 03:19 PM   #41
Executive Chef

also, i thought that there was a way of predicting an earthquake in advance. why didn't we have any warning whatsoever of this seismic event before it happened. aren't there gauges that measure and monitor ongoing seismic activity?

Old 08-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #42
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
also, i thought that there was a way of predicting an earthquake in advance. why didn't we have any warning whatsoever of this seismic event before it happened. aren't there gauges that measure and monitor ongoing seismic activity?

I found this:

Earthquake prediction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #43
Executive Chef

i guess toads are our best bet for predicting when an earthquake will occur. toads know up to five days before an earthquake is ready to happen (possibly from radon emissions occurring) and they get the heck out of dodge. so we just need to follow those toads.... :)
Old 08-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

LOL! I was looking for this! Too funny!

I feel for the folks who were affected. If you're not used to it, it would be terrifying. Many of my husband's kin live out East, and judging by their FB posts, were scared spitless.

We had a small earthquake a number of years ago, in Iowa! Turns out we are on some sort of fault line too.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #45
Executive Chef

thank you sherry--funniest thing i've seen about the unfunniest thing i've lived through in a very long time. laughter is uplifting, and almost never out of place. i had to pass along this gem to a few others....
Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #46
Master Chef

Having lived in Japan for close to 20 years before moving to So California I thought California quakes were not a big deal.......until the big Northridge quake in '94. That quake made me pee in my pants. I honestly thought my house was going to go tumbling down the hillside...
Old 08-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
If you're not used to it, it would be terrifying.
While living in San Fransisco, I was in one pretty strong one that freaked me out. I went out on the street like everyone else and one tremor knocked everyone down from their feet. It was like the ground literally fell out from under me, sideways. No way could I stay standing up. I was thinking; "Hope a big trench doesn't open up and swallow me!" Went back up to my old apartment and found a new crack running from the ceiling to the floor about 2 inches wide.

I moved.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
While living in San Fransisco, I was in one pretty strong one that freaked me out. I went out on the street like everyone else and one tremor knocked everyone down from their feet. It was like the ground literally fell out from under me, sideways. No way could I stay standing up. I was thinking; "Hope a big trench doesn't open up and swallow me!" Went back up to my old apartment and found a new crack running from the ceiling to the floor about 2 inches wide.

I moved.
and right now you have irene to contend with, huh? hang in there timothy, it will be alright, we all gonna make it....
Old 08-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
and right now you have irene to contend with, huh? hang in there timothy, it will be alright, we all gonna make it....
I hear ya vitauta! It looks like Irene may go past my house without much else but rain and winds slightly above normal. I hope so anyway!

If it starts getting too close, I'll run northwest. I'm a big chicken when it comes to hurricanes.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #50
Head Chef

In the early 90's, DH and I moved from St. Louis, MO (home of the New Madrid Fault) to Los Angeles -- sort of from the frying pan into the fire. He was in a downtown meeting, where those around the table brushed off his earthquake qualms - said it's no big deal. Shortly after that the building began to shake and everyone immediately dived under the table. I remember a day when I was sitting in traffic, blocked in on all sides underneath a concrete overpass, wondering what I would do if the ground began to shake; I was irrationally relieved when we moved back to St. Louis.

These days I'm keeping an eye on hurricanes -- at least you can see them coming.