East Coast Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Complete non-event.

Now, Irene is the real deal.

Being Bermuda born and raised, I can lol and say that Irene is a complete non event. I have weathered FAR more destructive storms.

Being from Bermuda, if I had never experienced an earthquake before, it would be pretty frighting.

Like said, I think locality has a lot to do with it. Just because you have had your share of quakes, or hurricanes, and it's a "non-event" to you/me, doesn't translate into a non-event for everyone.

Being Bermuda born and raised, I can lol and say that Irene is a complete non event. I have weathered FAR more destructive storms.

Being from Bermuda, if I had never experienced an earthquake before, it would be pretty frighting.

Like said, I think locality has a lot to do with it. Just because you have had your share of quakes, or hurricanes, and it's a "non-event" to you/me, doesn't translate into a non-event for everyone.

True enough. there's a familiarity notion with it.

But in an industrialized country, i.e. with reasonable building codes, a 5.9 is good fun, unless you are unfortunate enough to be standing under the one or two bricks that might fall. Deaths are rare.

There are already a number of deaths associated with Irene.

But, yeah, I get that when you live in the path of these storms, you learn to deal with them.

Last edited:
True enough. there's a familiarity notion with it.

But in an industrialized country, i.e. with reasonable building codes, a 5.9 is good fun, unless you are unfortunate enough to be standing under the one or two bricks that might fall. Deaths are rare.

There are already a number of deaths associated with Irene.

But, yeah, I get that when you live in the path of these storms, you learn to deal with them.

your idea of good fun (a 5.9 earthquake) is incomprehensible to me. i'll bet you have several dentists on your speed dial right now.:shock:

I heard on the Noon news that there was another rumbly in the tumbly of mother earth southeast of Mineral, VA this morning. Only an aftershock, apparently, but isn't that just piling on at this point?

Hello, Katia. :ohmy:

I heard on the Noon news that there was another rumbly in the tumbly of mother earth southeast of Mineral, VA this morning. Only an aftershock, apparently, but isn't that just piling on at this point?

Hello, Katia. :ohmy:

i heard on the news yesterday there have been 19 aftershocks since the original quake. of those there have been seven distinct ones that i have felt--another half dozen i wasn't sure of. i don't know how people ever get "used" to them. however long i live, i never shall....

Back
Top Bottom