"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2011, 02:30 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i agree aboutt the tv hype in newscasting (we have fox and rupert murdoch to thank for that - what a surprise that his career ends in shame) .
not that all are free from blame now. cbs tried to hold out, but it was a losing battle so even they gave in. and like an old guy trying to act young, they are terrible at it.
way back when, murdoch was the little guy trying to break into the big three networks trying to create a fourth. the most expedient way was to do it with sensational aka yellow journalism. sadly, it worked. fair and balanced? yeah, if you're an idiot. again, the rest followed the ratings so it's really a reflection upon us.

having said that, i happen towork on the weather systems and they are as accurate as current technology can perform. i mean, we're talking about calculating the mathematics of nearly infinite fluid dynamics.

if anyone has a better system of forecasting, you'll be very rich.

i can't speak for how the forecasts are broadcast, however.

thanks rupe.
I am very proud of the newspaper I have read for 45 yrs( no not the same edition Tom) the Guardian and a few MP's who brought Rapture Murdoch to book, I took great pleasure in seeing him humbled at the house of commons.It was a great day for democracy.
Ps Waitrose part of the fantastic John Lewis Partnership were one of the first retailers to withdraw their advertising from Sky because of the Glen Beck prog on the Faux News Channel.causing it to be removed.
PPs Beck is in Israel spewing out his vitriol.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #62
Master Chef

Every place outside of shangri-la has its disasters, and I've lived in both California and Virginia. Not to mention another bunch of states and a couple of countries. I am now in the midwest. But I really get tired of seeing Californians calling east coasters wimps because of their reactions to an earthquake, when they'd just die if they had to go through a hurricane or blizzard or tornado. Nothing is important if it isn't happening to you or your loved ones. SO let's all get together and help one another, even if it is "just" moral support.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #63
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmax View Post
Complete non-event.
easy for you to say. You're 3500 miles away!

This is a situation for which I would rather be over-prepared and have to say "ah, well, it missed us," than not to be prepared and suffer a direct hit.

As of right now (11 am Friday) Manhattan is expected to take a direct hit. And it could truly be disastrous, not only for us here, but for the economy of the whole country.

We all need to hope Irene veers out to sea before she gets here on Sunday.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #64
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'd rather live on top of a dormant volcano, than in the path of a hurricane...oh, wait...
Old 08-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #65
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Every place outside of shangri-la has its disasters, and I've lived in both California and Virginia. Not to mention another bunch of states and a couple of countries. I am now in the midwest. But I really get tired of seeing Californians calling east coasters wimps because of their reactions to an earthquake, when they'd just die if they had to go through a hurricane or blizzard or tornado. Nothing is important if it isn't happening to you or your loved ones. SO let's all get together and help one another, even if it is "just" moral support.
Claire, thanks for that. Speaking as someone who lived 15 years in CA I can say that a 5.9 there would have people reacting pretty much the same way as here in Goochland, which is 7 miles from the epicenter.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #66
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i guess toads are our best bet for predicting when an earthquake will occur. toads know up to five days before an earthquake is ready to happen (possibly from radon emissions occurring) and they get the heck out of dodge. so we just need to follow those toads.... :)
Black snakes and copperheads were running here too...lots of them squished on the road
Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #67
Executive Chef

when i'm not being scared out of my mind by the earthquake, its aftershocks and its unknowable endgame, i am absolutely fascinated by some of the earthquake news byproducts: they showed a zoo, where most of the zoo animals, sensing the impending earthquake, were exhibiting strange, unusual behaviors. some herded or flocked together with others of their kind. others looked to elevate themselves, to climb away from the troubled earth beneath their sensitive feet. they went off their food, they went "berserk" (much like their human counterparts), they made loud noises, they became aggressive. and most of them, from the lowliest snake or bird, to the large apes and elephants, knew hours before us intelligent humans, that an earthquake was going to intercept and disrupt their lives bigtime. what of the marine animals, such as the whale sharks, what are they able to detect from the earth's shiftings? would they, or any animals, be capable (or willing) to share their extrasensory knowledge with us? is it already taking place, and we'll see it on a future newscast? why weren't we smart enough to decipher the behavior of the zoo animals before this earthquake occurred? lots of questions.... :)
Old 08-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #68
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

Claire, I think you'll find most people in California would be the first to say that they'd "die if they had to go through a hurricane or blizzard or tornado". First of all, the anticipation itself would be terrifying. I think we simply found it curious that brave folks who face something as horrifying as "tornado and hurricane Seasons" every single year would find a quick and mostly harmless jolt of the earth so ummm, "earth shaking".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #69
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
easy for you to say. You're 3500 miles away!

This is a situation for which I would rather be over-prepared and have to say "ah, well, it missed us," than not to be prepared and suffer a direct hit.

As of right now (11 am Friday) Manhattan is expected to take a direct hit. And it could truly be disastrous, not only for us here, but for the economy of the whole country.

We all need to hope Irene veers out to sea before she gets here on Sunday.
I stand by what I said. On average there are 4 earthquakes EVERY DAY in this magnitude range. You don't hear about those.

The only reason it was a big deal is because the media made it one.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:14 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Clair, I think you'll find most people in California would be the first to say that they'd "die if they had to go through a hurricane or blizzard or tornado". First of all, the anticipation itself would be terrifying. I think we simply found it curious that brave folks who face something as horrifying as "tornado and hurricane Seasons" every single year would find a quick and mostly harmless jolt of the earth so ummm, "earth shaking".
nothing quick about it, clair. that 30 or 40 seconds of rumbling, shaking and disorientation feels like a dante eternity to anyone physically undergoing it. and the aftermath of an earthquake is much more than just quantifiable structural damage incurred. as a californian, i would hope that you already know and can appreciate that. (sorry, this post should be addressed to kayelle, not clair) :)