East Coast Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
also, i thought that there was a way of predicting an earthquake in advance. why didn't we have any warning whatsoever of this seismic event before it happened. aren't there gauges that measure and monitor ongoing seismic activity?

Last edited:
i guess toads are our best bet for predicting when an earthquake will occur. toads know up to five days before an earthquake is ready to happen (possibly from radon emissions occurring) and they get the heck out of dodge. so we just need to follow those toads.... :)

Last edited:
Having lived in Japan for close to 20 years before moving to So California I thought California quakes were not a big deal.......until the big Northridge quake in '94. That quake made me pee in my pants. I honestly thought my house was going to go tumbling down the hillside...

Last edited:
If you're not used to it, it would be terrifying.

While living in San Fransisco, I was in one pretty strong one that freaked me out. I went out on the street like everyone else and one tremor knocked everyone down from their feet. It was like the ground literally fell out from under me, sideways. No way could I stay standing up. I was thinking; "Hope a big trench doesn't open up and swallow me!" Went back up to my old apartment and found a new crack running from the ceiling to the floor about 2 inches wide.

I moved. :LOL:

While living in San Fransisco, I was in one pretty strong one that freaked me out. I went out on the street like everyone else and one tremor knocked everyone down from their feet. It was like the ground literally fell out from under me, sideways. No way could I stay standing up. I was thinking; "Hope a big trench doesn't open up and swallow me!" Went back up to my old apartment and found a new crack running from the ceiling to the floor about 2 inches wide.

I moved. :LOL:

and right now you have irene to contend with, huh? hang in there timothy, it will be alright, we all gonna make it....:)

and right now you have irene to contend with, huh? hang in there timothy, it will be alright, we all gonna make it....:)

I hear ya vitauta! It looks like Irene may go past my house without much else but rain and winds slightly above normal. I hope so anyway! :wacko:

If it starts getting too close, I'll run northwest. I'm a big chicken :chicken: when it comes to hurricanes.

In the early 90's, DH and I moved from St. Louis, MO (home of the New Madrid Fault) to Los Angeles -- sort of from the frying pan into the fire. He was in a downtown meeting, where those around the table brushed off his earthquake qualms - said it's no big deal. Shortly after that the building began to shake and everyone immediately dived under the table. I remember a day when I was sitting in traffic, blocked in on all sides underneath a concrete overpass, wondering what I would do if the ground began to shake; I was irrationally relieved when we moved back to St. Louis. :rolleyes:

These days I'm keeping an eye on hurricanes -- at least you can see them coming.

Hurricanes, Earthquakes...I feel for you, if I could see just see through the smoke from the fires around town... It smells like a wet campfire outside.

there is something troubling and unsettling about resuming life in a post earthquake mode. the ground beneath your feet. that solid sense of permanence the earth had always represented has--slipped somewhat. my footfalls are no longer sure and solid meeting with the earth as day before yesterday--as they once were, without thought, without exception. is this a temporary lapse of trust to be restored in time, or something else altogether?

Earthquake, a tornado warning tonight and heavy rain, and Irene on the way......:neutral:

I swear, it sometimes feels like one shoe is dropped and one is hanging perpetually in the air, leaving us to wait for it to hit the floor...:wacko:

you think we're being played? at least it appears most people are taking the irene threat seriously and making preparations. hurricane irene is already being referred to as the storm of the century. i am so ready for some normal weather again, but that seems to be an increasingly rare commodity these days....:(

you think we're being played? at least it appears most people are taking the irene threat seriously and making preparations. hurricane irene is already being referred to as the storm of the century. i am so ready for some normal weather again, but that seems to be an increasingly rare commodity these days....:(

"Storm of the century" has been so over-used as a description that it has become meaningless.

TV folks *always* try to pump up anything that will make you watch their station. All news people do it. Make everything sound like the end of the world is coming.

Responsible newscasting doesn't exist. They will say anything to increase ratings.

Then, when what they've panicked everyone into thinking doesn't happen, they come out with all the excuses about how *they* really weren't wrong.

i agree aboutt the tv hype in newscasting (we have fox and rupert murdoch to thank for that - what a surprise that his career ends in shame) .
not that all are free from blame now. cbs tried to hold out, but it was a losing battle so even they gave in. and like an old guy trying to act young, they are terrible at it.
way back when, murdoch was the little guy trying to break into the big three networks trying to create a fourth. the most expedient way was to do it with sensational aka yellow journalism. sadly, it worked. fair and balanced? yeah, if you're an idiot. again, the rest followed the ratings so it's really a reflection upon us.

having said that, i happen towork on the weather systems and they are as accurate as current technology can perform. i mean, we're talking about calculating the mathematics of nearly infinite fluid dynamics.

if anyone has a better system of forecasting, you'll be very rich.

i can't speak for how the forecasts are broadcast, however.

thanks rupe.

Back
Top Bottom