Easter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
:bunny: I can't believe Easter is two weeks from this coming Sunday ! :bunny:
What are you special plans,? We always have ham, mashed potatoes, candied yams, corn casserole, hot rolls and pie or cheesecake. Easter Egg hunt for the grandsons, giving out each a special filled basket ! Nice day !

Barb L.

we will have roast lamb (possibly boned and stuffed with spinach and feta) lemmon garlic and rosemary basted. roasted potatoes carrots and parsnips along side, possibly salad or fish or both as a starter.

Growing up we always had pretty much the same meals when it came to Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas so we all tend to stick to that because it reminds us of those warm holidays with mom and dad. Personally, I add a few new dishes to the mix though.

I know for certain one of my brothers is coming down from MI...his children too if their mother has to work (its her weekend). I'm so hoping my other brothers will be able to make it too...I miss them so!

Cola Basted Ham
Whipped Sweet Potatoes and Bananas with Honey
Herb Dressing
Chicken Noodles with Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Scalloped Corn
Buttered Corn
Green Beans with Bacon & Onions
Deviled Eggs
Relish Tray
Rolls
Apple Pie
Chocolate Pie

Not sure yet what my extra dish to add to the mix will be yet. Last Thanksgiving I made the Sweet Potato dish and it was a huge success that I repeated it at Christmas and then some.

We are completely undecided! Everything is likely to be closed up here, otherwise we would go away for the weekend. Chances are we'll have a lamb chop meal as an acknowledgment, but we'll be eating pretty lightly otherwise I think, not least as my birthday is the week before so we'll push the boat out then I guess!

We pretty much ignore "American" Easter and wait for Greekster.
This year we're even celebrating that a few weeks later than normal.
We will do the lamb and all the side dishes, eating outside picnick style.
25-30 happy people.

I'm torn... it's a traditional family meal day (not Christian, but raised that way... so I do like to keep the family day thing going)... but my bday happens to fall on Easter this year... and I HATE to cook on my birthday! *sigh*

Like Uncle Bob, complete meal is incomplete at this point. Ham, for sure, and possibly green bean casserole. I had it for the first time on Thanksgiving and really liked it. It'll just be Buck and me, so it'll most likely be pretty casual and sparse by some people's standards.

What I'm really hoping for is some nice mild weather so we can open some doors and shoo out the stale winter air. Tomorrow may be the first day of spring, but our area weather hasn't gotten the message. The daffodils have, though.

I usually have Ham, Lamb chops, (some of my people will not eat lamb for anything) asparagus, spinach salad with strawberries, sugar snap peas and potato salad. Oh yeah, deviled eggs cause it's Easter. My mom makes the best pies so she usually brings one. We don't have any little kids this year so the egg hunt will be missing. (Sad)

I still have the ham that we were suppose to eat Christmas, since dh wasn't able to eat. Maybe, he can eat it now, we'll see.
I walked into Walmart this morning and was really missing that euphoria of getting coloring and baskets and the plastic eggs to hide things in. I can't wait to have grandkids!!

We go to my grandmother's house every year, and make our usual favorites.
Nannie makes: ham, candided yams, potatoes and green beans, deviled eggs.
Mom makes: potato salad, cream cheese corn, 4 layer delight.
My aunt makes: fruit salad, pretzel salad, pecan pie, and her DH smokes a brisket.
I make: Easter cheesecake and rolls.

We dont have a family Easter gathering, but my hubby and I usually have a ham, potato salad, green beans, homemade yeast rolls, strawberry stuffed angelfood cake and maybe deviled eggs.

All your Dinners sound so good and special -- Thank God for grandchildren to do the baskets and hunts all over again !! Happy Easter all! :bunny: Or just have a happy April 8th !

Easter lunch/dinner

:LOL:Hi everyone, for easter lunch this year, my older son is coming over ( he's 23 ), we will have BBQ fish ( not sure what sort yet ), hopefully prawns if I can afford them, a potato and asparagus bake (yummy), a tossed salad, coleslaw, and my younger son (13 ), will always want pineapple with anything, he loves the stuff, he cant get enough of it, its great to have kids that eat well and healthy, and for dessert, either a pavlova ( we love our pavs ) but may forgo the pav for a choc. dessert of some kind, I dont know what yet though. Oh and lots to drink. My kids are getting a bit to old for easter eggs but being a mom I will be getting them something choclatey for sure, cant have easter without choc. can we?.
Ok everyone have a good easter everywhere around the world, talk to y'all soon. Spiritwolf.:)

It is spring and am starting to come out of my winter hibernation, OK, call it torpor. At the end of the winter I just don't want to do anything.

But the slug is about to metamorphose into a butterfly (yeah I know slugs don't change into anything, and they sure as heck don't become butterflies, but I don't have time to quibble, it is SPRING).

Gosh, right now I can think of so many meals for Easter. Have not had a fresh ham in awhile. But we will be going on vacation ~ yay ~ a few days later and that may be too much a cut of meat for the two of us.

Have some frozen lamb tenderloins, teeny little things, in the freezer that we picked up from a local farmer a few weeks ago.

With some asparagus and maybe some scalloped potatoes, that sounds good.

But tasty new taters seem like they cannot be denied.

We now have a source of good scallops, and lobsters, they would be tasty.

We'll figure something out. To me Easter, Spring, renews these old bones. And I now crave the fresh foods that have eluded us for months.

Enough of those winter veggies I loved so much, no time for them anymore.

It is time to think about the garden, and the fresh herbs and veggies.

To all DCers a very happy Easter, no matter what your beliefs. It is a season for renewal and joy that all can rejoice in.

And for some reason this year I need that rejuvenation more than I have most years.

Maybe duck, yeah, that sounds good. Have not had quail in a long time.

With a salad with fresh greens topped with fried quail eggs. But gotta find the quail eggs.

Will try to calm down and get a menu.

Take care and God bless.

John has cooked the Holiday dinners for 10 years I guess...with him still in the hospital we won't have one this year. But that is perfectly OK with me..just to have him here is enough for me.

We do this every year here, but this year Im doing nothing! I believe Im gonna be all alone......tis ok though, I just might catch up on sleep

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom