"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-09-2007, 07:37 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Easter givings

This year for Easter instead of getting my kids( ages 23 and 20) their usual candy, video game or gift certificates,I bought a gold chain with a gold angel charm to give to our friends in memory of their daughter who they lost to premature birth. Brianna lived for a short time, passing in her parents arms. Knowing the anguish of losing a child I wanted to acknowledge no matter how long you have your child - that love is forever.Their son Brady is still battling to stay alive and getting stronger every day.I got him a stuffed ducky that was placed in the incubator with him.(it's kind of a tradition for new babies to get a duck from the Quackenbushes!!)
I told my kids that this is what I did instead of making their Easter baskets.They were both pleased with the idea.My daughter had a tear rolling down her cheek and my son asked me how I always know to do the right thing.I nearly fell off my chair -my son never gives me the impression I do anything that he can admire. I told him, sometimes you have to just listen to your heart and he told me he has a problem with is brain getting in the way and I told him- he just did listen with his heart- he was pleased that our friends got a remembrance for their daughter and it was ok that he didn't get anything for Easter. He said Mom I can't be like you but, I 'm sure glad you're like you.Kiersten said You've always been my inspiration Mom. Now my eyes were tearing ,so was my husband's and Dennis' fiancee's- Kiersten's boyfriend- he was just chowing down on his sushi!!Our Easter brunch seemed a little bit more meaningful this year. Thanks for letting me share this with you. Love and energy, Vicki

Old 04-09-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Vicki,
that was such a thoughtful thing for you to do..But, I'm not at all surprised..You , as your son said always come through.
We did just several small things, A special gift to the church. DH and I took an elderly lady who used to be a customer of ours to mass, then out to breakfast. I think it's something we need to do for her now and then. She just lit up. We wanted her to have dinner with us but, by the time mass and breakfast were over, you could see she was tired. So we took her a goodie basket later that eveing. For me though, was watching my four grandkids put together 6 Easter baskets for a needy family, I picked up all kinds of Easter goodies and a small toy for each child and set everything up along with baskets for my 4 already left by Mr. Bunny. Cade had mentioned to his mom that a child in his class was not having Easter, his mom had said she wasn't able to talk with the Easter Bunny, ( no money and dad, had just walked out) so my daughter got the address, she called the mom and we piled the kids in the car with the baskets they created and drove them so they could deliver them..They all carried two baskets each, even little Olivia up to the door. Cade rang the bell and when the kids answered he said, The Easter Bunny made a mistake and left these at my Ma's house, they are for you...See here's your name...You should have seen those little kids with their baskets, it was so sweet, they kissed each other were almost jumping up and down they were so happy..I am so proud of my babies, each also took some of their own goodies and put them into the baskets they were making, Cade said the other kids needed a little more so the basket would be full!!! and special.
Children, can just make your day sparkle and shine..
kadesma

Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Oh (((Kades))) I wish I could have witnessed this first hand- the whole day sounds like what we all should remember to do- be kind to others less fortunate and to each other.Bless you and the whole Kades crew!!!!!Love and energy, Vicki
Old 04-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Master Chef

You both just gave me goose bumps on top of goose bumps! It's so good to know the world has special people like you in it!
Old 04-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I agree with you wholeheartedly PA. People willing to share their love unselfishly make such a difference. DC is populated by such lovely persons.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Such a wonderful thing to do and it taught your children a great lesson in kindness.

Thank you!
Old 04-10-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Bless you both, I just heard two bells ring, you've must have gotten you wings !