"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2006, 09:33 PM   #11
Master Chef

& we dyed our eggs!

Old 04-17-2006, 05:14 AM   #12
Sous Chef

One of the things I always found as funny is that I was grown before I ever knew that the "easter bunny" was supposed to bring stuff. LOL! When I was a kid I just thought the easter bunny was a marketing icon.

Our big Easter tradition was to dye eggs. When we were kids we would hide them and hunt them... then eat them, but this year we didn't even boil any. I kinda miss the smell of Vinegar. :)

~ Raven ~

A great nation is not built in a lifetime, but in the lifetimes of many. - Support our troops.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:27 PM   #13
Master Chef

We always dyed eggs the night before. Went to mass Sunday morning and hand an egg hunt when we got home. The breakfast was bacon and boiled eggs, and there were devilled eggs and egg salad sandwiches all week. Dad would put glitter on one egg, and whoever found it got a dollar. We all got new clothes for the occaision (we were four girls) to inlcude pristine white mary janes and anklets and a new hat, so it was a big day for a family photo (honors done by a neighbor). We lived a lot of places, so the weather would be very erratic and sometimes the egg hunts were indoors. When we lived in apartment blocks in Germany, often the neighbors would come out and join the festivities. Dinner was always a big ham. When I lived near my family we continued with the traditions, but the egg hunt became a bit of a problem. One sister asked if we could put off the hunt until her in-laws could get there. It was Florida, it was already 90 degrees, and the eggs were already hidden. Needless to say it was have the hunt in the morning or have rotten eggs. I think now they probably gave in to the inevetible and instead of real eggs fill plastic ones with candy. And we wonder why we have a childhood obesity problem!

The day was usually topped off by Daddy pulling out the accordion for a song and dance fest.