Easy Christmas Gifts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove

DC Grandma
Subject: Scrubbies

> 1- N hook
> 1/2 yard of netting 72" wide.
> fold net and cut into 6 2" or 21/2 " strips
> They will be 72" long.
>
> 2-Tie strips together one at a time leaving a 21/2 " tail.
> on each strip.
> 1--------1--------1--------1-------1-------1
> Now you have one long strip.
>
> 3- Chain five and join to make a circle. (make each chain about a quarter
> inch long.)
> 2 single crochets in back loop of each chain until you reach the
> second knot.
>
> 4-Continue in back loops with one single crochet until you reach the last
> knot.
>
> 5-Now do one single in back loop of every other stitch to end of net.
>
> 6- Turn right side out using tails as stuffing. Finish off and use this
> tail as stuffing too.

:) They make a pot scrubber..or use than in the bathroom to clean the sink or soap dish etc. My friends insist I make them one for their birthdays and last Christmas I made them for the costco Demo workers. They wanted to place orders for some but now I wear a wrist and thumb brace on each hand so I don't crochet much any more.

ahhhh. I kept trying to see the finished product in my mind and I just couldn't do it.

Sounds neat.
Thanks!

not my idea - someone on another site posted it....
thought I'd try them this year though...

"bird feeders/waterers out of pretty, old teacups and saucers ? Use water-proof glue to attach the cup to the saucer then glue onto a base (wood porch rail, thick dowel or wooden pedestal in your choice of finishes) that can be shoved into the ground. The water of course goes into the cup and the birdseed around on the saucer. They look really pretty tucked into a flower bed.

also can make pin cushions out of old tea cups. Cover an appropriate size styrofoam ball with batting first, then a pretty fabric (velvet looks good). Gather and stitch it around the bottom. Glue that into the teacup and then use your imagination to embellish it. Lace or a gold braid around the edge and some "jewels" gleaned from old jewelry on the side will work. These make nice, inexpensive gifts."

Neat idea, Dove. I was an avid knitter (sweaters), but haven't picked up the needles in quite some time. The last sweater I made was from a Vogue book. It was black, covered with big black pailettes. It almost looked like fish scales. I had one sleeve to go and gave up. LOL. I tried crocheting, but once I turned, I didn't know where to go. :LOL: Needlepoint was another hobby, but don't see many stores around any more. The pillows (I wish I'd kept) were done in bargelo (sp), monochromatic -- from dark to gradually fading shades. You've inspired me to take my (very old) books down from the shelf. A male :rolleyes: friend, crocheted beautiful afghans. Wish I had the patience.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom