"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #21
Chief Eating Officer
Oh I do not disagree with you guys. I just think that those who are not as comfortable cooking find it more challenging.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:07 AM   #22
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Oh I do not disagree with you guys. I just think that those who are not as comfortable cooking find it more challenging.
no doubt about that!

Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I would guess that the amazement stems from it being so much more difficult to cook for just one unless you want a ton of leftovers.
I fall into the category.
Cooking just one serving seems to be such a waste of time for most things. I know I could cook just two porchops, but what's wrong with three or four? Then if I'm extra hungry or want to eat dinner again for lunch the following day, I'm all set.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:08 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Got an idea.
Anyone that doesn't want to cook for one, come on over here and I will get to cook my little heart out for people who appreciate it!!!!
Not that there's anything wrong with that.....
suziquzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:21 AM   #25
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
There have been studies done about family dynamics. It was found that eating as a family does indeed strengthen bonds, and helps children cope with the world better. It also allows time to teach important life princinples, share good and bad times, etc. But the key to this process is that the meal has to be served at a table, without the distraction of television.

My folks always insisted that our (large and blended) family sit down for dinner no matter what you were expected to be at the table at 6... not sure it helped we are still quite disfunctional.

Ovreall I do enjoy eating with and cooking for others but I also do sometimes enjoy cooking for myself and eating alone. I need some personal time and sometimes there are things I want to eat or cook that other people dont. When I am cooking for others it is always more about them. I try to make something I know someone else will enjoy but when its just for me its all about what I want.

I do not in particular like eating in restaurants alone though.
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #26
Master Chef
when i moved to my location, i used to often eat at restaurants by myself. jake was in florida, & i wasn't gonna miss out on a plethora of culinary opportunitites! i still prefer dinner together.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #27
Master Chef
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
When I used to travel a lot I didn't mind eating alone. If you stop at smallish diners or truckstops, you'll find a lot of over the road people eating alone.
Then you won't feel so alone.
I guess if I eat alone, I get this feeling that everyone around me will think I have cooties or something!!!

I have this friend at work that will go with me anywhere I want to go to eat, but he does not eat. He just sits, provides conversation, and tells me that my choice in food looks good! I'm quite happy with that because I get to try new things that my DH would not even give the time of day to.
sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #28
Executive Chef
I rarely get the chance to eat alone so when I do, I enjoy it. I generally choose a restaurant that the rest of my family wouldn't be enthusiastic about, but I would like to try. (I never actually thought about whether or not people would think it's strange to eat out alone.) I don't think I'd like to eat alone all the time, though.
Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #29
Executive Chef
My DW gets home late and also wants particular high veg stuff as she is trying to lose weight. We make this up a week at a time, so I don't cook for her. I will cokk something to share with the boys, but out tastes do not always mesh and I want to lose weight as well. So I will often have something very light and just cook for them - their kind of food.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef
I ate alone/cooked for one for almost ten years. I didn't find it that difficult at all. It's not difficult to buy and cook for one.

I would make a large batch of some items and freeze individual portions. Foods such as, chili, soups, tomato sauces, etc. That made it very easy to defrost one serving and dress it up with a few sides and have a meal.

I'd buy a package of meats - steaks, chops, chicken, etc. and freeze the pieces in meal sized portions. Then I could defrost a meat portion and add a starch and a veggie or salad and have a nice meal.

On occasion, I would buy a whole pork loin and cut it up into chops and one or two small roasts.

Add a couple of glasses of wine or beer to any of these meals and you were all set.

When eating alone, I often read or watched TV while eating and could take as much time as I wanted that evening. If necessary, I could be in and out of the kitchen in an hour or spend a couple of hours relaxing through my meal.

The rest is attitude. If you hate the thought of eating lone, you will hate eating alone. I looked at it as an opportunity to eat anything I wanted and to experiment with all kinds of new stuff.

That was the same period when I was learning to cook so it probably was a very good thing I was eating alone!

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote