Eating Alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calya

Senior Cook
I often have to eat by myself even though I am married. I rarely get to enjoy a meal in the company of others even though it is one of the greatest joys in my life....to share food and good conversation. Is it me, or does food just taste better when you are in good company?

I often have to eat by myself even though I am married. I rarely get to enjoy a meal in the company of others even though it is one of the greatest joys in my life....to share food and good conversation. Is it me, or does food just taste better when you are in good company?
first of all Calya, you're invited to my house anytime you would like to enjoy a meal with me and mine. just to let you know.
now, yes I love eating with people,it's cozy and nurturing...

I have no problem eating alone. The food tastes just fine....
It seems to be more enjoyable than eating with my ex wife if I remember correctly :ohmy: (it's been a while)
:ROFLMAO:

I do enjoy cooking for people though. I suppose it would be nice to see them enjoy it (like when I took some baby backs over to my neighbor's last winter), but I had some too, so I know they came out even before they told me :)

What's the saying, life is what you make of it?

:) I don't mind eating alone it tastes the same plus I usually eat a lot less. What I do get tired of is my own cooking.

I am lucky in asmuch my sister lives next door to me so I cook at her house or she comes over to mine and I cook for the two of us but at least 3-4 nights a week I eat my dinner by my self. I like being by self after a life full of nice things a little time alone is nice

I can't handle eating out alone. I can eat alone at home, but I will not go out and eat alone. And I always feel bad for folks that I see eating alone, although I am aware that some choose to do that and are quite happy eating alone. If I go out somewhere and I don't have someone to eat with me, I will get it to go. I guess I'm weird or insecure about dining solo.

I can't handle eating out alone. I can eat alone at home, but I will not go out and eat alone. And I always feel bad for folks that I see eating alone, although I am aware that some choose to do that and are quite happy eating alone. If I go out somewhere and I don't have someone to eat with me, I will get it to go. I guess I'm weird or insecure about dining solo.
You're not weird at all. Some of us prefer the great company of others. I love eating with my husband and 3 kids. They make everything worthwhile, even the time consumed in cooking the meals.

When I used to travel a lot I didn't mind eating alone. If you stop at smallish diners or truckstops, you'll find a lot of over the road people eating alone.
Then you won't feel so alone. :)

I eat junk when I'm alone, I feel like its a waste of effort to cook.
Then again, when the kids are being jerks at the table and not eating or liking what I made, I always wish I were eating alone.... ok or with just DH.

I don't mind eating alone, but I do cook better meals when DH is here. For me something fast to take the hunger away. Enjoy cooking for the whole family better. I like my alone time too !

I often prefer to eat alone as I can be more self-indulgent, either with the dish or the quantity (you know, when you feel like a second helping but feel a pig for having it!!) or the sides of my choice. I also don't have a problem eating at a restaurant alone BUT it does depend on the restaurant and the day and the meal - like I wouldn't choose to eat dinner at a restaurant on a Friday night (takeaway is good that night). I do go to more effort with a meal when there is someone else to cook for and the event of eating is more enjoyable with company but the food itself doesn't change in perceived quality, only perhaps where there is more obvious effort displayed.

[I don't go to the movies on my own though. That always felt like a lonely event to me cos you want to discuss the movie with someone afterwards.]

There have been studies done about family dynamics. It was found that eating as a family does indeed strengthen bonds, and helps children cope with the world better. It also allows time to teach important life princinples, share good and bad times, etc. But the key to this process is that the meal has to be served at a table, without the distraction of television.

Myself, I love eating with others much more than eating alone. But in my house, my DW can't seem to pull herself away from the boob-tube and so we get now real interaction during the meal. I still try to make it as good a meal as I can, in the hopes that I will Wow her into breaking away from the TV. But it hasn't happened yet. When our children were at home, it wasn't as big a problem.

Maybe that's why I so enjoy inviting the kids, or freinds to eat over, or even to got to their homes and cook a meal. The focus becomes the interaction between people, whether we're talking about food, or reminiscing about a camping trip, or sharing laundry secrets about getting stains out, or designing the next airplain wing (I get into some pretty odd conversations with some pretty creative freinds, even though we never build the airplan wing:ROFLMAO:). It's teh conversations with family and good freinds that makes meal time a great time for me. And, I love showing off my cooking skills, especially when the food comes out soooo good, which is usually the case. Plus, I don't have many freinds that can't cook, at least to some degree.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I love eating, period :LOL:

I do prefer to eat with others. I find I eat much slower with others. When I eat by myself i tend to wolf my food down much quicker than I probably should. When I eat with others there is conversation to slow down the pace.

I also eat healthier when i eat with others. Two nights ago I had dinner with my family. I made pesto coated salmon, but edemame, corn and peppers and a wild grain mix. Last night I ate dinner alone. I have a package of frozen appetizers out of the freezer (lemongrass chicken mini egg roll type things).

no doubt about it! but when I eat by myself, which is often, I still set a nice table and turn on some favorite music. I also find that I eat more slowly when I pour myself a glass of wine with dinner. (Not a bottle, just one glass... ;))

People seem amazed that I cook just for myself, but I can't imagine why I would treat myself less than any of the loved ones I regularly cook for.

I suggest we all need to treat ourselves as well as we treat our families and friends.... :)

People seem amazed that I cook just for myself, but I can't imagine why I would treat myself less than any of the loved ones I regularly cook for.
I would guess that the amazement stems from it being so much more difficult to cook for just one unless you want a ton of leftovers.

I would guess that the amazement stems from it being so much more difficult to cook for just one unless you want a ton of leftovers.

One chicken breast or one fish fillet is pretty easy.... plus, if I have leftovers, I can take them for lunch the next day, or freeze them for another solo dinner on a night I don't feel like cooking. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom