"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Head Chef

You have some great tips in there Katie. The ones I think I might try are:

Getting more flyers and coupons. I search for coupons online but it is a little tedious. Any ideas for finding coupons?

I make a trip to the grocery store once a week. I think Im going to try and plan my meals around whats on sale at the grocery store, while keeping in mind of the total cost of the meal as someone pointed out.

As for laundry, we can't have our own machines in this apartment, so we have to spend 1.75 a load to wash, and another 1.75 to dry. I have actually been considering washing things in the tub. Does anyone have any tips for that?

Do you also buy for price rather than quality? Sometimes I am hesitant to go down a notch from a brand name to a lesser brand if I don't know the quality of the lesser brand. Also, I often compare nutritional tables and pick the best one, keeping price in mind but also willing to sacrifice a little bit.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Katie I also only go every 2 to three weeks I'm 45 miles from town and its slim pickens at best so I usually drive another 20 miles to the next bigger town to get fresher produce I also buy everything down to dog food. I hace a hard cap on the back of my truck and it gets packed with my shopping it can take up to eight hours to shop and drive to town and back so I can't forget a single thing and everything must have the longest of expiration dates. I keep a good amount of canned stuff like tomato sauce, crushed and diced mushrooms in case I might need them beans, pineapple, mandarin oranges, My grocery bill seems sky high but when it includes everything down to toilet paper it really adds up . When I buy it's normally 2 or 3 at a time so I stay well stocked up. Last Saturday I bought a a lot of flour, rice and beans more than usual. Chicken thighs on sale at 89 cent a pound I will buy 5-6 large packages and so forth. Fortunately we always have a lot of Bison Dhs hunters usually give him 1/2 of the ones they hunt and could get Elk as well. My pantry is full of canned tuna, pasta and just about anything else we need. I also have been doing this for many years because town is so far away. I have my tomatoes started so there will be lots of those.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I have actually been considering washing things in the tub. Does anyone have any tips for that?
Yes, I do.

I had a roommate in college who would get dressed in his dirty cloths and then get into the shower. He would take his soap and bath himself while wearing the cloths to "clean" them.

My tip is don't be like my old roommate
Old 05-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I have seen hand cranked washers they look like a cement mixer but not really big you just turn the crank on the side and it rolls around the clothes. It could be handy for smaller and lighter items and then you could wash at laundry the heavier things like jeans
Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I have actually been considering washing things in the tub. Does anyone have any tips for that?

Do you also buy for price rather than quality?
Washing is the easy part... its the drying that gets you

so far as price vs quality that depends on the product. Sometimes the cheaper product is quite worse and not worth saving a few cents. (like yoghurt... the generic brands tend to have more sugar and less cultures and taste like... well this is a family forum)... cheese too.

But for say canned beans I will generally go with storebrand or cheapest
Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Katie I also only go every 2 to three weeks I'm 45 miles from town and its slim pickens at best so I usually drive another 20 miles to the next bigger town to get fresher produce I also buy everything down to dog food. I have a hard cap on the back of my truck and it gets packed with my shopping it can take up to eight hours to shop and drive to town and back so I can't forget a single thing and everything must have the longest of expiration dates. I keep a good amount of canned stuff like tomato sauce, crushed and diced mushrooms in case I might need them beans, pineapple, mandarin oranges, My grocery bill seems sky high but when it includes everything down to toilet paper it really adds up . When I buy it's normally 2 or 3 at a time so I stay well stocked up. Last Saturday I bought a a lot of flour, rice and beans more than usual. Chicken thighs on sale at 89 cent a pound I will buy 5-6 large packages and so forth. Fortunately we always have a lot of Bison Dhs hunters usually give him 1/2 of the ones they hunt and could get Elk as well. My pantry is full of canned tuna, pasta and just about anything else we need. I also have been doing this for many years because town is so far away. I have my tomatoes started so there will be lots of those.
I know what you mean, jp. It's quite a juggling act. I have a station wagon and it's packed to the headliner when I get home after my shopping trips.

We also have a well-stocked pantry. Made sure to have one since the children were small.

And, yes, my shopping days are long and tiring. I usually leave the house at 9 a.m. and am home by 6 p.m. or so. Thank heavens Buck cooks dinner on my shopping days.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
Master Chef

I'm doing alot of the same things that have already been mentioned in this thread. Make good use of leftovers (which I'm eating now.... gonnochi and salad), try to walk places that are nearby and I can carry the load. (I walk down to our farmers market and drag along my cavass bags, I also walk to my exercise class.)

We still go out to eat once a week, but what we have changed is sharing an entree. Most places give you way to much food and we have found that we can split most items and still enjoy going out to eat.

GB... I have done like you have on the driving... driving slower, easy on the gas pedal, make hubby fill up tank in the wee morning hours.... all good advice.

You folks have great ideas, keep em comming! WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
make hubby fill up tank in the wee morning hours
That is one that has been shown not to make a real difference. You save a fraction of a penny (if anything) by filling early in the morning as opposed to later in the day. Let hubby sleep in
Old 05-06-2008, 02:57 PM   #19
Master Chef

Hubby is awake, so I have no qualms about letting him do it. He is a night owl. So if it saves us or not, we do it anyhow.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

That works