"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #51
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I would like to start doing this. We spend between 100-200 a week on groceries depending on whats on the menu. But again keep in mind that we are still building our pantry.. Well, we dont have much room in it, so we are limited. We have only 1 cupboard we can use for food with 3 shelves.

Gas is over $1.35 a litre here which works out to 6.14 a gallon canadian.. which works out to 6.11 american per gallon.. I'm not sure how much gas is in the states but this is absolute crapping robbery. GRRR!
Just out of curiosity, how much of that is taxes? Ours right now is at $3.89 a gallon of which $.088 are taxes. If you live in Chicago it is $4.09, of which $1.08 are taxes. At least this is what they are telling us, I am still looking for a web site to verify just how much is taxes.
A couple of years ago they took the taxes off for awhile to help the consumer out, it ended badly as (supposedly at the time) that should have amounted to a savings of $.066 a gallon but instead they only lowered the price by $.030. Sounds like they pocketed the difference.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #52
Head Chef

tax is almost half of the gas prices here :( Far as I know. I'll let you know next time I fill up. There is a chart on each and every gas pump with the breakdown.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #53
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Mav'sWife
It's so mobbed up around here - the politicians would never stand for it.

It's a great idea though.

Sad thing is, most Americans, will probably take their tax rebate checks and turn around a put most of it in the pockets of the oil companies and politicians to buy gas.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
tax is almost half of the gas prices here :( Far as I know. I'll let you know next time I fill up. There is a chart on each and every gas pump with the breakdown.
I was meaning to tell you that even though your pantry is not ready you probably have a bedroom closet etc where you could store the extra items even in boxes on the floor for the time being. It might be worth it in the long run since the higher the gas the higher the groceries.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:49 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani View Post
milk is milk and comes from cows and I don't see how it can be 'better' by paying an extra dollar for it.

I will say this about organic vs other brands.... I buy organic milk because the shelf life is longer than the other stuff. I don't drink milk (hubby does and it is disgusting!), mainly used for cooking. But where I save money is not having to buy milk everytime I go to the grocery store because the stuff I have at home is about to turn. I can buy a half gallon of organic milk and it is good for at least 3 or 4 weeks. And I usually end up using it all.

Hmmmmm.... now why does the milk last longer than regular milk?
Old 05-07-2008, 12:34 AM   #56
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I was meaning to tell you that even though your pantry is not ready you probably have a bedroom closet etc where you could store the extra items even in boxes on the floor for the time being. It might be worth it in the long run since the higher the gas the higher the groceries.
We use one of our bedrooms as an office and turned the closet into a pantry. We only buy things when they are on sale. Now when I need something, instead of going to the store, I just go to the office!
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2008, 12:43 AM   #57
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post

ultra-pasteurization google it and come to your own conclusions. Personally I am not a milk drinker it goes in coffee and recipies.I buy basic but others I know insist on organic and claim it tatest better. As a milk "hater" I cant comment.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #58
Head Chef

Wow, Mama! I wish I had that!! You have a convenience store (with all the things you need) in your own home!
Old 05-07-2008, 04:12 AM   #59
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I will say this about organic vs other brands.... I buy organic milk because the shelf life is longer than the other stuff. I don't drink milk (hubby does and it is disgusting!), mainly used for cooking. But where I save money is not having to buy milk everytime I go to the grocery store because the stuff I have at home is about to turn. I can buy a half gallon of organic milk and it is good for at least 3 or 4 weeks. And I usually end up using it all.

I don't know about all that, I can't remember even seeing organic milk, but then I haven't looked. I do know my family could not cope with an extra $10 a week on milk just to buy organic, I think it's too important to keep the grocery bill down rather than worry about milk keeping for a month. The milk I do buy lasts us until my next weekly shop, usually several days after if we don't use it up so nothing gets wasted. My family go through 9 litres of milk a week sometimes.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #60
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
ultra-pasteurization google it and come to your own conclusions. Personally I am not a milk drinker it goes in coffee and recipies.I buy basic but others I know insist on organic and claim it tatest better. As a milk "hater" I cant comment.
I buy the Horizon organic milk because it lasts so long, I don't drink it often so it's more economical the buying regular. I have noticed that even ultra pasteurized regular milk still spoils much faster than the organic. The organic fat free milk also tastes much richer than the regular fat free which has absolutely no flavor