"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #61
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
We use one of our bedrooms as an office and turned the closet into a pantry. We only buy things when they are on sale. Now when I need something, instead of going to the store, I just go to the office!
Wow! Now that is a well stocked pantry. Are you a Mormon? I think we all should take a lesson from them because they store one to two years in food and other supplies sounds like a good idea especially in these times. The news today said gas will most likely be $ 4.00 a gallon by the end of the year. Also on the news a lot of families already have had their power and gas shut off because they can't keep up with the bills. I thought I heard in Minneapolis 500 families a day are getting their power cut off
__________________

__________________
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #62
Sous Chef
 
B'sgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
We use one of our bedrooms as an office and turned the closet into a pantry. We only buy things when they are on sale. Now when I need something, instead of going to the store, I just go to the office!
I should really get something like that. My exchange student's closet is stacked full of canned food and a 72 hour kit for each of us. It's so hard to get to everything because it is just all stacked on top of each other. It is nice to have things I use a lot in bulk though--it prevents me from going to the store so often and wasting money on impulse buys.
__________________

__________________
Michelle
http://foodmakeshimsick.blogspot.com/

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 PM   #63
Head Chef
 
Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,810
No, I'm not a Mormon (I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night )
We decided a few years ago (after 9/11) that you just don't know when something is going to happen. We decided to just start stocking up when there was a sale. I got the racks at Sam's Club. It's actually two racks but we had to combine the center legs into one so that it would fit in the closet. When I go to the store and see the prices on some of the items that I got on sale, I'm so thankful that I stocked up. Whenever I start getting a little low, I start watching for sales again.
__________________
www.Mamas-Southern-Cooking.com
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #64
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
No, I'm not a Mormon (I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night )
We decided a few years ago (after 9/11) that you just don't know when something is going to happen. We decided to just start stocking up when there was a sale. I got the racks at Sam's Club. It's actually two racks but we had to combine the center legs into one so that it would fit in the closet. When I go to the store and see the prices on some of the items that I got on sale, I'm so thankful that I stocked up. Whenever I start getting a little low, I start watching for sales again.

You should have a plan to use the stuff in the office and replace it with newer stuff so nothing gets very old.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #65
Head Chef
 
Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,810
I rotate everything so that nothing goes out of date. I also have dried beans and rice that I keep in gallon jars.
__________________
www.Mamas-Southern-Cooking.com
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:24 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Wow! Now that is a well stocked pantry. Are you a Mormon?

they even stock up extra wives!!!!! i guess just in case one goes bad.
smart people, them mormons.


well, i finally am resolved to taking the bus every day. i promised myself if gas ever hit $2 a gallon, i'd stop driving to work and take the bus.
then it was $3. and now, at $3.50 a gallon, i'm keeping my promise.

it was costing me about 8 or 9 bucks a day in gas, 6 to 8 bucks a day in tolls, and playing the broken meter game, another 15 or 20 dollars per week in parking fees. so, even on the low end, i was spending $18 to $20 per weekday just to get to work!

now, it costs me $10 a day on the bus, and my legs and middle finger are getting a workout skating from the bus terminal to my building and back.

we haven't really begun to cut back on food expenses though. we just spent about $275 on groceries in the last week, and another hundred or more in take out lunches and dinners (mostly sushi ). i refuse to give up my raw fish.
__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #67
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
That was harsh BT the polygamist bunch is actually a break off from the original Mormons. The regular LDS church believes in being married forever to the same person. I was a Mormon as kid not by choice but it was OK. They did take on many wives in the early years as they were persecuted every place they went causing a lot of women to have their husbands killed in the process so a man would take on women as wives but not in the wifely duty way but to take care of them sans husband she could be as old as 80 years. At least that is what they taught when I was a kid. They don't do that anymore.
__________________
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,162
After the hoopla about Y2K and 9/11, we've kept a very well-stocked pantry of canned and dried goods. Water is stored, too. We rotate the stock to be sure everything gets used within a reasonable time frame. With the exception of produce, Buck and I probably could exist quite nicely for 6 months without having to go to the market.

Even when all 5 of the children were at home, we used an unfinished large bathroom as a food storage space. Built shelves between the studs from floor to ceiling. Practically had a grocery store in that room.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:00 PM   #69
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Raton,NM, USA
Posts: 4,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
After the hoopla about Y2K and 9/11, we've kept a very well-stocked pantry of canned and dried goods. Water is stored, too. We rotate the stock to be sure everything gets used within a reasonable time frame. With the exception of produce, Buck and I probably could exist quite nicely for 6 months without having to go to the market.

Even when all 5 of the children were at home, we used an unfinished large bathroom as a food storage space. Built shelves between the studs from floor to ceiling. Practically had a grocery store in that room.
I was never worried about Y2K but the way things are now I definitely have some concerns. Stocking up a few months worth of non perishable groceries is actually a good idea for many reasons. I still think it would be really nice if the ranch had a milk cow and some chickens. Real organic milk, butter and homemade cheese sounds really good to me.
__________________
"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it." - Julia Child
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #70
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cicero, IL
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
they even stock up extra wives!!!!! i guess just in case one goes bad.
smart people, them mormons.
JP is right, but still:
__________________

__________________
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.