"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #11
Sous Chef

How strange to see this thread today. I almost wish I had eczema or some other obvious skin ailment. Instead, I have just one area on my arm that itches, even burns, intensely but with absolutely no visible mark or rash. The dermatologist said she's seen this before but didn't really have a diagnosis. She suspected shingles but said that that doesn't usually last as long as this has.

I have some topical stuff, which helps briefly, and also oral antihistamines, which make me feel as if my head is full of concrete. It comes and goes, but it was at its worst last night. The only good thing I can say about it is that it has helped me develop incredible will power -- not to scratch.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
Executive Chef

My son had eczema on his arms when he was a toddler and the pediatrician suggested that I use diaper rash cream. For the life of me I can't remember the name. Seems like it started with a D.

The active ingredient is zinc oxide and it sounds like that is the basis for the other creams, too.

Old 11-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
Everymom

Desitin Jan?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Yes, that's it!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:12 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
My son has a mild form of eczema - last winter I used Aquafor like PABaker. I have also hear eucerin cream is good. My daughter gets it on her scalp so bad she bleeds. Her doctor prescribed a special shampoo - you may want to look into that. I'm sorry you have this - I hope it doesn't get too bad this year.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:42 AM   #16
Master Chef

If you have the eczema dry skin condition of the scalp where your scalp is bleeding and itching one of the best products that I have ever used is Neutrogena's T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo Extra Strength. It advertises that it controls redness, intense itching, and flaking of severe scalp conditions and controls the symptoms of : seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis. YOu can find it at WM as well as most pharmacies. I have had a long romance with eczema and I find that this works great. Lather your hair, leave the shampoo in for a few minutes, shave your legs, etc., and then wash out. You won't believe the relief for your scalp. Hope that this works--for just regular skin conditions I like Eurcerin as well and Cortaid's Intensive Therapy Anti-Itch lotion (Maximum strenght over the counter hydorcortisone). Good luck!!!!!
Old 11-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #17
Master Chef

I've actually found that Head & Shoulders NEWEST line works just as well as the super T/gel, without the tar smell. I'm hoping not to have to go back to the doc for the rx shampoo, which I believe was steroid based. With any of them I shampoo, then wrap my hair up and putter around the house for at leat 5 minutes. Then I take my shower, and use another Head & Shoulders dandruff/scalp care conditioner while I'm showering. I used a cocoa butter based body wash last year, but this year am trying an oil of olay one. Another thing I learned was that I had to stop daily showers, they were doing the most damage. Believe me, it took a lot of un-training to stop showering every day.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
After reading your post, Claire, I remembered another suggestion from the doctor. Taking a shower every other day is a very good habit to get in to (hard to do in the summer though) - and she also said to use antibacterial body soap. Sometimes the perfumes and additives in the nice body soaps can irritate the skin.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:59 AM   #19
Master Chef

Dear Michelemarie,

My dermatologist said the same thing about showering and washing my hair very other day if I could get by with it----not possible all the time unfortunately. And have not heard about this new Head and Shoulders that's been posted. Will certainly look for it when I'm back in the states in December. Perfumes and additives really do aggravate this condition, that's for sure. Best of luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
After reading your post, Claire, I remembered another suggestion from the doctor. Taking a shower every other day is a very good habit to get in to (hard to do in the summer though) - and she also said to use antibacterial body soap. Sometimes the perfumes and additives in the nice body soaps can irritate the skin.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:34 AM   #20
Head Chef

I have psoriosis and in the winter I drink Slippery Elm tea and also take 500 mg Curcumin every day. These are two natural/herbal remedies that help ALOT with the itching and dry patches.