"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
I will be sure to let them know about my water intake. Any suggestions on what else to drink that will quench the thirst but not be bad?

No suggestions on edema except to get up sooner and not stay on feet so long until I'm excersising better.

Did not check kidneys or liver, will talk to regular about all that. Thanks for your concern though, will keep going on this one.
i am assuming you have been tested for diabetes. if not, why not. ask them for test. excessive thirst is one big symptom. will also affect kidneys and liver. be assertive , dear girl and demand both a short term and a long term solution.

babe

Old 06-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I will be sure to let them know about my water intake. Any suggestions on what else to drink that will quench the thirst but not be bad?

No suggestions on edema except to get up sooner and not stay on feet so long until I'm excersising better.

Did not check kidneys or liver, will talk to regular about all that. Thanks for your concern though, will keep going on this one.
Stacy,
continue with the water, when you are told your drinking to much it's the ones who are consuming massive amounts, they are talking about.....3-4 8 oz glasses will not hurt you..You reduce water when a doctor tells you to..I've had to watch now and then but mostly I'm fine..so many of us with kidney failure do have to measure and keep track, so far for me no. So drink your water Soda's and no sugar junk is just that junk..Your body will do better with water
cj

Old 06-21-2008, 09:36 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

i was thinking about you while cleaning up the kitchen. addressing your question about other things you can drink. everything you drink contributes to edema. not just water, but coke, coffee, any kind of drink and many kinds of food. if you are drinking tons of water on top of those sources, you could very well be getting to much. i believe they call it water intoxication.

try to really ascess your fluid intake and tell us how many oz you are getting.

not preaching to you, dear heart, but sometimes drs. don't take the time to really get to the core of the problem.

babe
Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Jeeze, what a story. I'm relieved to hear you're getting treatment. Take care of yourself and let us know how you're doing.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:54 AM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
OK, went to ER.
Edema: From my weight and sitting too long then being on feet too long. I have to start small begin excersising and get back down to normal weight, a big task ahead!!!
Will need to change my beta blocker back because heart palps have come back.
Now, on the rest of it. Seems I am depressed, not sleeping and it is all causing severe anxiety which is causing the chest pain and gasping on occasion. I am going to have to make an appointment with normal MD and go from there on getting weight down and anti depressed
Good for you for going to check this out. And I think it was very good news, although the task ahead seems daunting.

Since your circulation seems to be causing the edema, perhaps you could try yoga. It sort of centers around stretching and balance. Stretching is awesome for getting your circulation going. At first, it may look like it isn't strenuous enough to do any good but I promise it does. Also, there is little risk of injury. You can get a DVD anywhere and do it at home and you will be surprised at the results.

Also, maybe set a little timer or alarm on your computer at work that will remind you to stretch and get up for a few minutes every half hour or so. Massaging your feet and legs with long, firm strokes that start at your foot and go up toward your heart will help get that pooling fluid moving again, too.

I don't know how much weight you have to lose but don't think about the total amount. It can seem overwhelming. Just start today and take it one day at a time. Focus on increasing your activity level and keep lower calorie foods on hand. You can do this Stacy. Heck, you've tackled waaay harder things in your life and come out on top. My money is on you, girlfriend!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 04:04 AM   #56
Master Chef

Quote:

funny medical system you have over there
did you get the results of the blood tests? Are they all right?

Try pineapple, asparagus, apricots, stinging-nettle-tea, onions or rice, the should work against the edema..
You find compression hosiery over there in your shops? They do really help.
Make contrast baths (? = warma nd cold).

do you get Bach Flowers in the states? Or schuessler salts?
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #57
Master Chef

My fluid intake really isn't much. I drink 1-2 16oz bottles of water at work, depends on how much I work in the shop, when at home, I will drink 1 12oz can of mt dew or sunkist, then, IF I'm thirsty when I go to bed, I will pour a 6 oz glass of V-8 splash. That is it. I only drink when I'm thirsty, that is what I meant, not that I drink a lot. It may be a couple of hours before I'm thirsty after the last drink.

cara, no, I didn't get results, the only thing they looked at were the enzymes for any kind of heart failure.

I don't feel like I got adequately checked. I just don't understand the diagnosis he gave. The gasping every 5 minutes just doesn't fit. What I'm talking about on the gasping, it's not a "I can't breathe" gasp. You know after you've been crying, you have that gasp that kinda smooths your breathing again? That is what I am still doing. I don't have the pain, but, I still have pressure on left side, across should blades and down left arm to about my elbo. Left leg still feels tight. I don't understand, but, I guess I will wait and see what happens when I get my Verapamil back. Maybe that is all I need, I don't know. Seems It wouldn't have taken almost 6 weeks for side affects to show up on a new med, but, I'm not a Dr.

Just remembered a few things. The entry nurse checked the pitting, the Dr. did not. He never even touched or looked at my foot or leg. Just said "that could be from standing, my calves are tight right now cause I've been on my feet here since 2 am." ?? What?? Also, because I wake up a few times a night, I go right back to sleep, I also will take a nap on my days off, I must be exhausted and that is causing a lot of the stress??? WHAT??? And why did they need 3 sets of blood samples? First one was 6 tubes, one hour later was 3, one hour after that one was 2. why, they just said they have to check for certain enzymes. So, why does it take that much blood to check?? Also, why was 2 EKG's necessary? And a chest xray done to check for Pneumonia??? I'm not SICK!!!
I'm sorry. Now that I've been talking to DH and he's asking "why " on some things, I'm wondering why after the fact.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #58
Head Chef

Stacy, I think someone else might have asked but did they do a good blood work up? Electrolytes and all that included? Potassium - If you haven't had a good blood work up please get it done. Potassium can be a problem with these duritics - my doctor told me to start taking an over the counter potassium pill once a day - be careful - too much can be as dangerous as too little. I bought a bottle of 100 ea 595 Potassium Gluconate and after only a very few days I can tell a difference. Like I said, I'm no physician but I have learned to trust mine. He in no uncertain terms told me to get 25 pounds off and do it in steady but prompt order - this just the other day when he said potassium. I should really get off 35 pounds and we both know it but he said that 25 would make him happy. I'm 5'7" and should be no more than 160 and I'm at 195 - isn't good for diabetes, blood pressure, and anything else one can think of.

Good luck! D

Good luck
Old 06-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #59
Master Chef

as far as I know, he only checked for enzymes, that is what he said he was checking.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:19 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Can you call the ER and ask some of those questions? I'd give it a try.
You need answers.

Take care of yourself!