EEE GADS...HELP CHIGGERS, What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Great. Thanks for reminding me. The place we're moving to has about an acre of yard, and most of the back yard is 3' high and hasn't been mowed all summer. Once we get in, I've got to mow what I can, then start on the high stuff, with a walk-behind self-propelled mulcher-mower. This is going to be interesting. I guess I'll be buying a ZTR mower next year with my tax refund.

:)Check out this site I bought the Clean Green and the limestone powder.
A few weeks ago I thought I was geting bedbug bites I couldnt find any but Im sure thats what it was I had huge itchy welts I washed bedding and sprayed bed with the mix they recommended and the problem dissapeared overnight.They also have a recipe making a mix with water for your skin.Check the link for Mites actually the whole site is interesting.This is great stuff and all natural.
http://naturalginesis.com

There is a product called Chigger Rid, which you apply like nail polish. It works great. You can also use Benedryl or Cortisone cream to help with the itch.

If you spray with Deet before going out, it will help keep them off.

We have many, many chiggers here in MO. By the time they begin to itch, the chigger itself is long gone--the itch is a reaction to the chemicals in the the nasty little buggers saliva.

Prevention is key. Keep lawns mowed, stay out of high weeds and grass, especially if the temp is over 80 degrees. If you do decide to go blackberry picking, use DEET repellent before you go out, and take a shower the instant you come back home, with lots of soap.

If you can't get to a shower, you can try rubbing your skin and clothing quite firmly, as if you were drying off after a shower. Chiggers have soft bodies, and rubbing crushes them.

Benadryl tablets and cortisone creme work for the itching. Sometimes people get soooo many they get a weepy red rash, like poison ivy. Then it is time for the doc and some prescription "big guns".

If you think the above sounds like the voice of experience, you are right. :(

Oooooooooooookay then. I am now grateful indeed to be living in a northern climate where we don't have chiggers. EWWWW! I will say that my SIL lives in Africa and they routinely dig out the chiggers and then do something else (peroxide?) when they're out. Maybe they are a different variety though.

Hope you get this handled soon Lefse, nasty nasty!

well as most say, by the time you feel the itch the bugger is long gone. how long before they dislodge? because I've dislodged them myself. no itching. so do I not have chigger bites? what were those little buggers that were in/on my skin and my dolls?
I'm now on my way to Wal Mart [as per a very dear friend's suggestion on here] to get Deet for our vehicle that brought us home from the airport and for our luggage just in case they're living large in there too. Gad, SO NOT MOVING TO FRANKLIN TENNESSEE:ohmy:
Oh and fire ants, oh yea, I know those little creeps too. Never ever stay at the La Quinta in downtown MSY if ya know what I mean:huh:

Fireants have taken over Texas---no question. We just try and control them---there is no question of eradicating them---it ain't happening anytime soon. I'll never forget the time my 2 yr. old daughter was standing in an ant pile (unknown to us) and within seconds her white tights were black with the varmints--she started to scream in pain and I just threw her to the ground and ripped off her tights. I then rushed her to the tub and put the Aveeno Oatmeal bath in the water. Thank goodness I reacted in time. As a preventative I also gave her a teaspoon of benadryl. Then I took the tights and put them in a bowl of boiling water----I didn't care it the tights shrunk or not. Those critters were going to Hades on a one way ticket. I'll show them what fire is all about. Ok, I've got that out of my system.

Btw----the Aveeno Oatmeal bath is also great for any insect bites as it has a topical pain reliever in it. The oatmeal really helps to soothe the irritated skin which you will have with chigger bites. It's also great for chicken pox as well.

:)Expatgirl,you should also check the link I left in my last post it also gets rid of fire ants and tells you how to get the queen so she wont be around to lay more eggs.It also says that medicated body powder or talcum powder repels fire ants I dont know if that works or not.If you get a chance mayby you could put some down on the ground to see if it really works or not.We dont have chiggers,fire ants,roaches and seldom a flea or tick on this part of the ranch but in Texas they do Im curious about the fire ants as they are where I work in Texas.I love experimenting on bad insects with natural stuff to see what happens Food Grade Dimetaceuos(sp?)Earth works good as it slowly eats away their outer skeleton causing them to die it works on any hard shelled insects like roaches and scorpions it's not instant but in time they will die.

Last edited:
Oh Great. Thanks for reminding me. The place we're moving to has about an acre of yard, and most of the back yard is 3' high and hasn't been mowed all summer. Once we get in, I've got to mow what I can, then start on the high stuff, with a walk-behind self-propelled mulcher-mower. This is going to be interesting. I guess I'll be buying a ZTR mower next year with my tax refund.
Aside from the chiggers, you will need to mow for the snakes anyway. :LOL: They like tall grass. You might consider hiring someone to mow it before you get there. Someone in the neighborhood surely has a riding mower; otherwise your realtor can find someone.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
:)Expatgirl,you should also check the link I left in my last post it also gets rid of fire ants and tells you how to get the queen so she wont be around to lay more eggs.It also says that medicated body powder or talcum powder repels fire ants I dont know if that works or not.If you get a chance mayby you could put some down on the ground to see if it really works or not.We dont have chiggers,fire ants,roaches and seldom a flea or tick on this part of the ranch but in Texas they do Im curious about the fire ants as they are where I work in Texas.I love experimenting on bad insects with natural stuff to see what happens Food Grade Dimetaceuos(sp?)Earth works good as it slowly eats away their outer skeleton causing them to die it works on any hard shelled insects like roaches and scorpions it's not instant but in time they will die.

Thanks, jpmcgrew! ;) I'm ready to try anything with the little buggers. Hope that chiggers don't want to move in, too. LEFESElover---hope that you get rid of your problem, soon.

Aside from the chiggers, you will need to mow for the snakes anyway. :LOL: They like tall grass. You might consider hiring someone to mow it before you get there. Someone in the neighborhood surely has a riding mower; otherwise your realtor can find someone.

Exactly what I was thinking, Barbara---we had the same problem in Lafayette, LA---the backyard had a mile high of grass in the back and our realtor arranged for a team to come in and mow it. She didn't charge us either.

Breakthrough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Hi lady's and gents.
Guess what?
I took J...Crews advice and looked up the link to that web site. I read a ton a stuff on there. Anyway, I called and left a message for the owner/manager to get back to me and she did.
I have a new sweet woman in my life who is all knowing on these danged critters too.
After talking for a year on the phone, I ordered but moreover, she told me it's not chiggers. It's Seed Ticks. She said, believe it or not, much better than chiggers. We had a good laugh and husband's actually breathing again.
Thanks for all the help in here, I knew I could count on your fine folks and to J...crew, a huge old thank you:blush::in_love:

Those little bitty ticks can be dangerous if you don't get them out.
They love to get in my husband's britches, and you could take an "America's Funniest Home Video" of me with tweezers and a flashlight picking those little varmints off his tender parts as he "ooches" and "ouches" and tells me to "Watch out!"

Not just the snakes, but rats and mice as well. That's my first goal once we get things in, probably even before we really unpack. It's still on the warm side here, although the morning are cooling off. I'll probably have to mow in the morning, until it gets a little warm, then unpack in the afternoon (before work), and at night, after work. I might be able to talk my Dad into bringing his riding mower over, and get it done quick.

I'm gonna have to get some mice traps anyways, probably some snap-traps for the garage and out-building, and glue-boards for inside the house.

Back
Top Bottom