Egging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
So finished blowing out the goose eggs. As my new chickens are still laying fairly small eggs I've been blowing out the ones I like. (lot of scrambled eggs lately)
I traded my neighbour for some small white eggs from her bantam. Was hoping they were smaller but...

Unfortunately I did not think to keep some of the really tiny first eggs that they laid.

argh... here we go sideways again, sorry 'bout dat. :ermm:

Attachments

• 20190622_155310.jpg
    20190622_155310.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 211
I did make one comparatively large investment, I already had the Dremel, but I got a clamp-on magnifying light. Love it and can see where I will be using it for many other things as well.

So started off just doodling around, slowly progressed up to more stuff. All along the same lines but just more for practice.

My camera (phone) enlarged these photos. This is a fairly small egg and in the pictures you can see the rough edges. I doubt I will ever be able to completely get rid of that roughness.

Without proper lesson/books and only from trolling the internet - it's gonna be a long learning curve. :LOL:

Attachments

• 20190628_163234.jpg
    20190628_163234.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 142
  • 20190628_163144.jpg
    20190628_163144.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 140
  • 20190628_163224.jpg
    20190628_163224.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 144
LOL Thanks taxy. I scribbled on a bunch of broken eggs first. Then dove into this one.

Several years ago I tried carving some goose eggs so it's not excatly my first time. I never got very far with it. Too frustrating as i was trying difficult designs and at the time didn't realize the dremel is not as high a speed as I would need.

That is a brown egg. FYI... brown eggs are really white eggs with a brown coating put on by the chicken just after the shell is formed and before laying the egg. Look inside a brown shell when you crack it open, the shell is white inside. The brown pigment will actually rub off a bit especially with a freshly laid egg.

I'm trying to collect as many of the darker smaller eggs as I can. As the chickens mature and lay larger eggs there is a good chance the pigment will be thinn/lighter. Hopefully not and I will always get dark colour.

A few year ago I had a breed called Black Copper Marans. I was hoping to get their dark rich chocolate looking eggs. Turns out my flock weren't show worthy dark. Still dark but not as much as I would have liked.

Looks great to me. I've been dabbling with a couple of Fabrege type eggs. Need to get back to working on them.

Would love to see them Medtran.

My 1st attempt has not been a terrible successful. Cutting the opening is no problem. Wanted the outside to look like enamel but sanding and Mod Podge didn't do it. Don't know whether to continue or not. Still trying to figure out which and what glue I need for the silk cord I want to put around the rhinestones. (Supposed to be rhinestones, silk cord, rhinestones.)

2nd egg to be hinged. Took me about an hour to cut out for the hinge and then bend the hinge in the right direction. But finally figured it out.

Salesgirl at 'Michaels' was really helpful opening pkgs of magnets. :LOL: I was trying to find one not so strong that you had to crush the shell to open it.

Now I need to be brave and actually glue them. Somehow I keep finding other things to do first. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20190629_065626.jpg
    20190629_065626.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 140
  • 20190629_065647.jpg
    20190629_065647.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 144
I bought enamel paint for model cars, trains, etc. that they have at Michael's.

There are diamond edged tiny wheels and bits that are supposed to be good for cuttings eggs. I haven't bought any yet as they are pricey and I wanted to see if egging was something I really wanted to do first.

The only picture I have so far is 1 I cut for a scarab. I cut the "wings" out as I'm going to put a faux canopic jar in it.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I was just down around Michaels' this morning. Oh well, next time. But what a great idea. Never even had model car enamel cross my mind. (Only my older brother, eons ago did that)

Have to admit everytime I go searching on the 'net I come up with different video's on egging. Most of them are the "What the heck?" kind but then there are the ones that make you say - "Great! Just what I was wondering." Of course you always see them after you've puddled thru a mess of stuff.

I was finally able to find the numbers for the corresponding drill bits I have - I have the two diamond edged ones. They came in a larger kit I was given. Yes, they certainly are pricey.

Last edited:
Had to look up canopic :ermm::LOL: sounds intricate! You really jump right in there don'cha!

Thanks again for the two heads up. Am going to try the diamond head tonight.

So I've discovered the 2 diamond heads are actually larger than my engraving bit. So now I've ordered and even smaller bit - think it is the smallest they make. A lot of the eggs one sees on the 'net are actually larger than mine. My geese are considered medium size geese and their eggs are correspondingly medium sized eggs!
Of course I have to pick designs not meant for smaller eggs :ermm:

I was worried about rough edges until I enlarged quite a few pictures and saw that they were rough as well.
The ones that don't have the roughness and more intrinsic tiny designs use thos power machines that I can't afford... :rolleyes:

So I'll just satisfy myself with what I've got.. :LOL:
and Thanks but No Kgirl. There are many out there more professional than I who sell - I don't think I could take the pressure and mine don't even come close to compare. I just make them 'cause I want to. :angel:

I sure would love to see what other hobbies everyone else has.
I've thought that folks who cook are creative and talented
in more than using food as a medium.

Well, I'm thinking there are:

dollhouse miniatures
fishing tackle artists
rock painting
miniature doll clothes

for starters..

I was worried about rough edges until I enlarged quite a few pictures and saw that they were rough as well.
:

Maybe a fine burr? There are some tiny ones in my kit. They wouldn't fit in tiny corners, but should otherwise. There's even a diamond one that is cone shaped that the point would fit in fairly small corners.

taxy - I just spent almost an hour reading that post and still haven't finished!

medtran - a lot of the pictures (most of them I'm guessing) have, of course, disappeared - thanks photobucke?

Your Cluny Tapestry, Sense of Hearing - I looked it up, got Wiki and saw a tapestry... are you kidding me????? Please post a picture again? please?

I will,, I need to retake though because I have no clue where they are stored. You have to realize though that it's only about 5x6 inches. However, at 42 stitches per linear inch, that's over 53,000 stitches!

Tired of blowing out eggs just to have to scramble them? Still want the shells?

Intense method for poaching eggs...

Attachments

• 20190704_112141.jpg
    20190704_112141.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20190704_112150.jpg
    20190704_112150.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20190704_112344.jpg
    20190704_112344.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 118
  • 20190704_112425.jpg