"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-12-2016, 02:35 PM   #21
Master Chef

Nice work! I thought you needed them for a sound studio or something....

You do all that intricate work and you can't fix that pot handle?!..

Old 09-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Nice! I really like your "Rose Shop". Do you hand-make any of the interior items like the quilt or book, or do you buy that?
Thank you!I usually buy/bought them. I have miniatures saved from over 30 years ago, so I've been using those. Now, as I run out of a few things and have more time, I'm thinking I will start trying to make more furniture and accessories. For instance, I got this awful set of sofa, love seat, and a chair in brown leather for about a quarter of what they should have gone for. So now I'm ripping off the leather and replacing it with a pretty cloth I found at a miniature show. We'll see how that goes.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:25 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Oh wow. That is amazing. How small are the rooms/houses?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
The houses I do are 1" to 1'. That's 1/12 scale. There's a lot of half scale and quarter inch scale now, much more than there used to be and if you're short on room (and who isn't?), then that saves a lot of room. My preferences and big fingers make 1/12 scale almost a necessity. LOL

The big house I was working on ended up being almost 6ft long and 27" deep. It had a laundry room, kitchen, dining room, living room, sunroom, library, sleeping porch, 2 bedrooms (one with a walk-in closet) and 2 full baths, an attic, a hobby room, and 3 center halls. Even though that was such a huge house, I felt the rooms were still a little cramped. I was working on it at a friend's house and when it came home unfinished, I had to break it down until I can afford to move to a bigger place.

The house I am currently building is only about 3' long, but has only 2 rooms on the fist floor, making them much larger.

You can fit a lot into a small dollhouse room, even one that's only 9" x 8" and even allowing for not having a 4th wall. I just chose large rooms this time because I knew what I wanted to fit into them and I measured everything before the rooms were even built.

I personally am not trying to create masterpieces or wow people by having running faucets in my house or 10,000 shingles on the roof. What I want to make are rooms so comfortable they will make the viewer want to come in and not leave.

The rooms in the Glencroft are very small, maybe 11" x 8" for the kitchen. In the large house I'm building, the kitchen is 15" x 14". That makes a huge difference in terms of all the stuff I can put in there.

The houses themselves range from what in real life we'd call tiny homes to houses large enough to be McMansions in real life. It's all in what you want, how much you want to spend, how much room you have, how much work you want to do, and what you like.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
You are an artist. Do you make real money from this or is it a passion and making money is a by-product from time to time?
I'm no artist. You should see what some of these people can create. I'm a bumbling amateur next to them.

It's a hobby. I have a dozen hobbies and this is the only one I can do at the time.

Very few people actually make money doing this. It's just too easy a hobby for anyone to do to pay someone to do it, and in terms of the time you put in, you'll never get your money back.

For instance, I once got a 64 book library kit. The kit was $16, as I recall. I spent - kid you not - 8 straight hours putting it together. Even at minimum wage (then), I would have had to charge over $50 if I wanted to sell that kit already done. Given how easy it was to put together, I wouldn't expect anyone to pay that amount of money.

The houses and room boxes are the same way. Once you invest in the actual house, the trim, the wallpaper, the primer, the brushes, the electrification kit, the siding and the shingles, and then charging for your time,you'd be selling that house for more than anyone would want to pay.

It's not a difficult hobby to do. It may be more expensive than I like (and that can be offset by looking on eBay for bargains and making things yourself), but it's incredibly simple to do.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
My poor house probably feels like it is abandoned. It's sitting on the porch waiting for me to finish putting on the the roof shingles and add the gingerbread trim, put the bay window in place, final coat of paint and attach it to a board so I can landscape. I really need to finish it, though I'll have to put it somewhere without kitty access as one of the cats likes to crawl into it and she also likes to play with small things so if it's not protected she'll be in it and the furnishings/decorations/etc will be all over the house and in the pugs bellies.

Charlie, the most popular scale for dollhouse minis is 1:12, meaning 1 inch to 12 inches (1 foot), though there are a couple of other popular scales of 1:24 and 1:48.
Pictures! We want to see! Your house probably looks much nicer than mine!

I forgot to mention, 1:24 (or 1/24) is half scale and 1:48 is quarter scale.

Join the cat club. I don't have one but I understand you're in very good company!
Old 09-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Rodentraiser, beautiful work! Are you on the Greenleaf forum or CDHM?
Thank you, although I'd beg to differ on the work.

Yeah, I'm on Greenleaf as rodentraiser. You can't miss me - I'm the one who talks all the time.

I'm not on CDHM, although it's tempting. But I think at this point three or four forums at once are pretty much enough for me. And if I were pursuing my other hobbies, I could add a couple more. LOL
Old 09-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #27
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Nice work! I thought you needed them for a sound studio or something....

You do all that intricate work and you can't fix that pot handle?!..
Yeah, thanks, rub it in....
Old 09-12-2016, 08:53 PM   #28
Master Chef

Kelly, I REALLY enjoyed looking at your pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them.

This should have it's own thread.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:55 PM   #29
Sous Chef

You know, it would be really nice to keep letting you all think I am a master craftsman, but honesty says I should really show you my lowly status.

Here's a couple of links to people who do spectacular work.

This is Kathleen Holmes' dollhouse. If you have 8 minutes to spare, scroll down and watch the video:

Ash Tree Cottage: Kathleen's Newer Bigger and Better Dollhouse

If you click on a dollhouse and then click on a room, you can see some of Mary Payne's beautiful dollhouses:

Mary's Dollhouses

And all you have to do here is click on a house and scroll - Pat just recently died this last May, so we won't have any more of her gorgeous cottages:

Pat's miniatures home page

Enjoy. And when you have explored all these links, I have dozens more. We haven't even touched upon the miniature food yet! And no, I didn't make any of these items - I'm not that talented!

and since this is an egg thread -sort of -

Old 09-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Kelly, I REALLY enjoyed looking at your pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them.

This should have it's own thread.
Thank you and you're welcome.

Nah, the egg thread is good enough. Maybe I'll post some more pictures if I ever get done with a house.

Tags
egg, eggs, other