Eggs and Doll Houses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I actually have one somewhere in my stash of minis, 1:12 scale. It's porcelain, though they do make them in actual silver if you've got the $$ for it. I think I enjoyed the buying more than the making. Had to stop myself because I kept buying with nothing to put the things in, though I'll still look through the mini catalogs when they come and dream. You'd be amazed at how much money you can spend (and I mean as much or more than normal size furniture).

I really adore your miniature houses, particularly the detail you gave to the tapestries. As I don't have a miniature house to put it in I suspect a miniature tea set would be some thing I would play with once or twice, and forget.

You have a really cool hobby.

TBS

I really want a miniature tea set.

Ok here is some crazy. My grandmom used to dip eggs in mineral oil. claimed it kept them fresh near forever, anyone ever hear of such nonsense? Or is this some weird Alabama/Vermont (family from VT, Grandmother met Grandfather when he was in flight training in Alabama WWII thing) fusion thing? Because I do have a number of those. Collard Greens with Maple syrup and all....

TBS

It might be true. Eggshells are porous and if you seal them so the air can't get through, it might make the eggs last a lot longer.

Sort of shows the house a little. Craig built me the cart to my specs. Such a sweetie. The little triangle area is a little nursery area with Noah's ark wallpaper.

37240-albums1048-picture6677.jpg

Pics of the 2 big (comparatively) petit point projects I've done. They are both finished now, just not easily available. All the white, white part of rug was filled in with the cream color. I'm working on a Heriz rug that is also 40 count but haven't got a tremendous amount done on it yet.

The rug is on 28 count/sq. inch if I remember correctly and I think was 5"x8", maybe 6"x9". The Cluny tapestry is on 40 count/sq. inch, and is 5"x6".

37240-albums1048-picture6679.jpg

37240-albums1048-picture6678.jpg

You have the Orchid dollhouse! Someone in our forum made a little library out of the Orchid and since then it's been on my wish list.

I love the tapestry and the rug! That is one skill I wish I had, but.....not with my clumsy fingers. You do such beautiful work! And I can tell your patience level is way higher than mine. Way, way higher!

The sterling silver used to not cost so much. I was going to make a trophy case for all the shows my miniature dog won, and when I started, I got a sugar dish with filigree handles - looked just like a loving cup trophy. That was only $10. I've bought a few other pieces over the years, but not recently. And just in case you still have your heart set on silver - it tarnishes and you get to clean it just like the real thing. Joy.

In fact, back in the 80s I bought a little miniature copper tea kettle. It tarnished as well. I gave it to a friend because I had enough to do keeping my real copper pots polished.

Last edited:
Today I went up to my friend Lisa's and we worked on our houses for a bit. This isn't my house (I don't do work this good), but this is what it should look like when it's done.

Unfortunately, you have to remember it's me putting it together. So what I'm going to do is put two tiny center halls in the house with a tiny staircase in the lower hall. That means the staircase on the side will come out. That will give me a little extra room in the living room.

The upstairs bathroom will be split in two and the front half will be the (now much smaller) bathroom and the back part will be the children's bedroom. I've decided to make this a little French country cottage. I brought the house home with me today so I should be getting the interior walls into it sometime this week.

Attachments

• glencroft.jpg
    glencroft.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 353
Last edited:
All that gingerbread on the Orchid is a major PITA to sand and seal. I put wood filler on the edges of all my pieces so they would be smooth after sanding. I just hope none of the finished gingerbread pieces got lost when we moved. It's a cute little house but a bit small. I bought plans to build The Kestrel and its basement Home some day, as well as want to build a partial castle/combo room box(es) for my tapestries. One day hopefully. I've already got stuff ready to go in both of them if they ever get done.

Don't put yourself down like that, you do beautiful work. That Rose Shop is just absolutely gorgeous. And your living room is beautiful as well.

There was a real silversmith that handcrafted their silver at one of the last DH/Mini shows I went to and their pieces were to die for. My heart nearly stopped when I picked up a piece and looked at the price. :ohmy: :ROFLMAO: The decor/detail on some of the sets was like the fanciest you can find in RL size, as were the prices.

It might be true. Eggshells are porous and if you seal them so the air can't get through, it might make the eggs last a lot longer.
And just in case you still have your heart set on silver - it tarnishes and you get to clean it just like the real thing. Joy.

In fact, back in the 80s I bought a little miniature copper tea kettle. It tarnished as well. I gave it to a friend because I had enough to do keeping my real copper pots polished.

I believe my mother told me 'way back when' eggs were also dipped in wax. There was another way as well but can't remember.

Miniature Silver, copper anything that tarnishes - (that you are not using! but just on display)- try spraying them with Hair Spray. :rolleyes:

Miniature Silver, copper anything that tarnishes - (that you are not using! but just on display)- try spraying them with Hair Spray. :rolleyes:

I dunno dragnlaw I would want to use a miniature tea set, how else would I serve a tiny bit of tea to my imaginary miniature friends?

TBS

Seal the spouts and cracks with plastic wrap. This way the spray won't get inside and will be perfectly fine for your friends.

Enjoy, add lots of sugar so that you won't notice how much your miniature straight jacket pinches so much!

Back
Top Bottom