Eggs and Doll Houses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice! I really like your "Rose Shop". Do you hand-make any of the interior items like the quilt or book, or do you buy that?

Thank you!I usually buy/bought them. I have miniatures saved from over 30 years ago, so I've been using those. Now, as I run out of a few things and have more time, I'm thinking I will start trying to make more furniture and accessories. For instance, I got this awful set of sofa, love seat, and a chair in brown leather for about a quarter of what they should have gone for. So now I'm ripping off the leather and replacing it with a pretty cloth I found at a miniature show. We'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
Oh wow. That is amazing. How small are the rooms/houses?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

The houses I do are 1" to 1'. That's 1/12 scale. There's a lot of half scale and quarter inch scale now, much more than there used to be and if you're short on room (and who isn't?), then that saves a lot of room. My preferences and big fingers make 1/12 scale almost a necessity. LOL

The big house I was working on ended up being almost 6ft long and 27" deep. It had a laundry room, kitchen, dining room, living room, sunroom, library, sleeping porch, 2 bedrooms (one with a walk-in closet) and 2 full baths, an attic, a hobby room, and 3 center halls. Even though that was such a huge house, I felt the rooms were still a little cramped. I was working on it at a friend's house and when it came home unfinished, I had to break it down until I can afford to move to a bigger place.

The house I am currently building is only about 3' long, but has only 2 rooms on the fist floor, making them much larger.

You can fit a lot into a small dollhouse room, even one that's only 9" x 8" and even allowing for not having a 4th wall. I just chose large rooms this time because I knew what I wanted to fit into them and I measured everything before the rooms were even built.

I personally am not trying to create masterpieces or wow people by having running faucets in my house or 10,000 shingles on the roof. What I want to make are rooms so comfortable they will make the viewer want to come in and not leave.

The rooms in the Glencroft are very small, maybe 11" x 8" for the kitchen. In the large house I'm building, the kitchen is 15" x 14". That makes a huge difference in terms of all the stuff I can put in there.

The houses themselves range from what in real life we'd call tiny homes to houses large enough to be McMansions in real life. It's all in what you want, how much you want to spend, how much room you have, how much work you want to do, and what you like.

You are an artist. Do you make real money from this or is it a passion and making money is a by-product from time to time?

I'm no artist. You should see what some of these people can create. I'm a bumbling amateur next to them.

It's a hobby. I have a dozen hobbies and this is the only one I can do at the time.

Very few people actually make money doing this. It's just too easy a hobby for anyone to do to pay someone to do it, and in terms of the time you put in, you'll never get your money back.

For instance, I once got a 64 book library kit. The kit was $16, as I recall. I spent - kid you not - 8 straight hours putting it together. Even at minimum wage (then), I would have had to charge over $50 if I wanted to sell that kit already done. Given how easy it was to put together, I wouldn't expect anyone to pay that amount of money.

The houses and room boxes are the same way. Once you invest in the actual house, the trim, the wallpaper, the primer, the brushes, the electrification kit, the siding and the shingles, and then charging for your time,you'd be selling that house for more than anyone would want to pay.

It's not a difficult hobby to do. It may be more expensive than I like (and that can be offset by looking on eBay for bargains and making things yourself), but it's incredibly simple to do.

Last edited:
My poor house probably feels like it is abandoned. It's sitting on the porch waiting for me to finish putting on the the roof shingles and add the gingerbread trim, put the bay window in place, final coat of paint and attach it to a board so I can landscape. I really need to finish it, though I'll have to put it somewhere without kitty access as one of the cats likes to crawl into it and she also likes to play with small things so if it's not protected she'll be in it and the furnishings/decorations/etc will be all over the house and in the pugs bellies.

Charlie, the most popular scale for dollhouse minis is 1:12, meaning 1 inch to 12 inches (1 foot), though there are a couple of other popular scales of 1:24 and 1:48.

Pictures! We want to see! Your house probably looks much nicer than mine!

I forgot to mention, 1:24 (or 1/24) is half scale and 1:48 is quarter scale.

Join the cat club. I don't have one but I understand you're in very good company!

Last edited:
Rodentraiser, beautiful work! Are you on the Greenleaf forum or CDHM?

Thank you, although I'd beg to differ on the work.

Yeah, I'm on Greenleaf as rodentraiser. You can't miss me - I'm the one who talks all the time.

I'm not on CDHM, although it's tempting. But I think at this point three or four forums at once are pretty much enough for me. And if I were pursuing my other hobbies, I could add a couple more. LOL

Kelly, I REALLY enjoyed looking at your pictures! Thank you so much for sharing them.

This should have it's own thread. :)

You know, it would be really nice to keep letting you all think I am a master craftsman, but honesty says I should really show you my lowly status.

Here's a couple of links to people who do spectacular work.

This is Kathleen Holmes' dollhouse. If you have 8 minutes to spare, scroll down and watch the video:

Ash Tree Cottage: Kathleen's Newer Bigger and Better Dollhouse

If you click on a dollhouse and then click on a room, you can see some of Mary Payne's beautiful dollhouses:

Mary's Dollhouses

And all you have to do here is click on a house and scroll - Pat just recently died this last May, so we won't have any more of her gorgeous cottages:

Pat's miniatures home page

Enjoy. And when you have explored all these links, I have dozens more. We haven't even touched upon the miniature food yet! And no, I didn't make any of these items - I'm not that talented!

img_1479668_0_7380895b99963600c2ced4f3e841b08d.jpg

img_1479668_1_b0b6c649878b755a7c9c8e585155b7ae.jpg

img_1479668_2_3525957aee5ea67aa1a09a668acccb0f.jpg

img_1479668_3_7ca1f80b30e2c5b270006c42c6aa2e9a.jpg

img_1479668_4_ae5a488f2ea9312853690674dd7ccaf6.jpg

and since this is an egg thread -sort of -

img_1479668_5_78c3a70629718dc419ddc64a792b0f12.jpg

Last edited:
Iapparently have never taken any pictures of just the house. Can't even find the pics of my Cluny tapesteries or my rugs I've done in petitpoint.

37240-albums1048-picture6672.jpg

RR, I know egg cartons are basically free, but have you ever seen Larry Bolduc's stone work using paperclay? It's gorgeous. He was a mason in real life. I REALLY wanted to take his class but circumstances didn't allow at the time and then he succumbed to illness/old age. I've got the mags with his tutorial if you ever want to give it a try. One of the reasons I made my big Cluny tapestry was so I could eventually hang it in a "great hall" sort of like his.

Tabitha Corsica: Better pictures of Great Hall project

RR, I can't think of any reason why not. Go ahead and put them in your bowl. I would.

Many countries store eggs unrefrigerated, as they don't wash the protective covering off. The US has different standards.
Ditto here, can't think why not.

(I assume you are not intending to keep them into the next millenium.)

Iapparently have never taken any pictures of just the house. Can't even find the pics of my Cluny tapesteries or my rugs I've done in petitpoint.

37240-albums1048-picture6672.jpg

I love the cat, just the same. And I can already tell I like your ceilings! And the beautiful cloth hanging behind the house - I take those are curtains?

And yes, I definitely want to see something you've done. I can't even conceive of doing something that delicate.

Last edited:
Hey, the title still says eggs!

This is no longer about eggs. :LOL:

As I always said though, I don't care if anyone hijacks my thread. Although in this case, I think I hijacked my own thread.

Maybe we can switch it to the best way to make scrambled eggs. Now THAT should get a lot of posts and controversy. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
I really want a miniature tea set.

Ok here is some crazy. My grandmom used to dip eggs in mineral oil. claimed it kept them fresh near forever, anyone ever hear of such nonsense? Or is this some weird Alabama/Vermont (family from VT, Grandmother met Grandfather when he was in flight training in Alabama WWII thing) fusion thing? Because I do have a number of those. Collard Greens with Maple syrup and all....

TBS

I really want a miniature tea set.

TBS

I actually have one somewhere in my stash of minis, 1:12 scale. It's porcelain, though they do make them in actual silver if you've got the $$ for it. I think I enjoyed the buying more than the making. Had to stop myself because I kept buying with nothing to put the things in, though I'll still look through the mini catalogs when they come and dream. You'd be amazed at how much money you can spend (and I mean as much or more than normal size furniture).

I love the cat, just the same. And I can already tell I like your ceilings! And the beautiful cloth hanging behind the house - I take those are curtains?

And yes, I definitely want to see something you've done. I can't even conceive of doing something that delicate.

Yes, but that's rose wallpaper in the second story bedroom you can see toward the back at the bottom of the second story. I used joint compound for the ceiling and swirled it so it would like like a plaster ceiling.

I think the petit point is in the closet of our extra bedroom behind the vanities and other stuff for the real-life bathroom renovation we're working on. So can't get to it right now to take more pics. I'll have to see if I have it posted on Greenleaf.

Sort of shows the house a little. Craig built me the cart to my specs. Such a sweetie. The little triangle area is a little nursery area with Noah's ark wallpaper.

37240-albums1048-picture6677.jpg

Pics of the 2 big (comparatively) petit point projects I've done. They are both finished now, just not easily available. All the white, white part of rug was filled in with the cream color. I'm working on a Heriz rug that is also 40 count but haven't got a tremendous amount done on it yet.

The rug is on 28 count/sq. inch if I remember correctly and I think was 5"x8", maybe 6"x9". The Cluny tapestry is on 40 count/sq. inch, and is 5"x6".

37240-albums1048-picture6679.jpg

37240-albums1048-picture6678.jpg

Back
Top Bottom