"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 04-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #1
Head Chef
Electricity Outage

I was unable to gain access to our site on Friday April 13th. I live in Southern California in the San Fernando Valley. The winds were blowing so hard on Thursday that 64 thousand people were without electricity.

My electricity went out on Thursday April 12th around 1PM and did not get turned back on until Friday at about 11AM.

I kept my refrigerator closed and was very lucky that everything in the freezer did not defrost. I haven't done my weekly shopping so there were only Lean Cuisine frozen dinners in the freezer.

The refrigerator had a lot of Gatoride and Diet Coke so they were all okay.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
Good thinking to leave the fridge closed as much as possible. I'm glad you didn't lose anything.

"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:17 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Sounds like you and mish experienced the same outage. Glad you did not lose too much.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Head Chef
Glad things are back on for you. I've only had that happen after the Mega- Shopping spree. (i hate it when that happens). When you have to throw out king crab legs and Filet Mignon it hurts.
Life is short.So eat great food!
Renee Attili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
Head Chef
What sort of things did you do while the TV and Computer were gone? In our area businesses also close when there is no electricity and that also means that you cannot buy gasoline, groceries or fast food. Our traffic lights are computerized and sometimes we have experienced blackouts in parts of the city. They can sure put up temporary stop signs fast. Did anyone make a hoagie melt on the manifold of their car? Did you have enough blankets to keep warm? Did they close the schools and Courthouse? Did they set up any emergency shelters or go door to door to check on the elderly? How did you get information from the local government agencies? That was a long time to be without electricity and any information you can give will help us all. I am glad that you are okay.
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --- Thomas Edison
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote