"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Pesky_Human
Electronic music & hip-hop?

I am new here and have no idea what the demographic is on this board, but given the size of it, I am guessing it's all over the place.

As much as I love cooking, my main passion is music - particularly electronic music. Anybody else on here into it too?

I am always looking for people to swap music suggestions with. If you are into electronic music and good hip-hop, you know that it's impossible to find everything on your own. I spend a good portion of my life looking for great music, new and old, and I always to hear what other enthusiasts are listening to.

Right now, I am loving the following:
MIA - Kala
Calvin Harris - I Created Disco
The Orb - UFOrb (almost 20 years old now, but NEVER gets old)
Daft Punk - Alive 2007
Jimmy Edgar - Bounce Make Model (and pretty much everything else he has released)

Big El, Blu & Exile, and Del the Funky Homosapien's latest are the repeaters in my hip-hop playlist right now. All superb albums.

----
www.peskyhumans.com
Pesky_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #2
Cook

Welcome, I am also a fan of most of these, especially The Orb and Daft Punk. I shall be chatting with you soon!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Not a fan of hip-hop I'm afraid! I listen to all types of house music, break beats and some crazy euro techno. Lately I'm listening to a bunch of mixes from the Winter Music Conference in Miami. Best music for workin out & cookin!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Head Chef

I like Goldfrap, especially crystalline Green.
Rob zombi remixes are cool.
Hip hop is not my forte however i do like underground electro type music. I just dont kow of that many.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPolito830 View Post
Welcome, I am also a fan of most of these, especially The Orb and Daft Punk. I shall be chatting with you soon!
Nice!

Have you seen Daft live? If not, beg, borrow, and steal, but see Daft Punk live. Most of my musical heroes in the electronic and hip-hop world suck live. It's a sad fact, but once you have seen Daft Punk, Slayer, and Prince live, a guy huddled behind a laptop just doesn't cut it. Saw the Orb 2 years at Disney hall. Perfect acoustics and all, I wanted them to be good SO bad because they're living legends, and I don't think they have ever put out anything that was even mediocre. It all kills. Of course, weak live. Boooo.

You down with the Warp stuff? Black Dog, Squarepusher, AFX, etc? If you are a big DP fan, you have got to be loving the Ed Banger movement (Justice, Sebastian, etc.). Kitsune is also dropping some French electro bombs right now as well. The Maison 4 sampler from Kitsune Records is pretty amazing.

----
www.peskyhumans.com
Old 04-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
I like Goldfrap, especially crystalline Green.
Rob zombi remixes are cool.
Hip hop is not my forte however i do like underground electro type music. I just dont kow of that many.

Never really got the Goldfrapp thing, but I love a lot of other stuff in that vein. I feel the same about Portishead. I am a real jerk about vocals. If I don't love a vocal, it can ruin the whole song for me. I love Everything But The Girl (Tracy Thorn has as much soul as any singer I have ever heard - Nina Simone-esque passion - AMAZING).

There is a ton of electro out there right now. It's almost all that people are making it seems these days, but I am not complaining. The music blog / mixtape scene is amazing for finding new stuff. If you are into electro, you will find missingtoof.com and discobelle.net to be an endless candystore of sick electro mixes.

----
www.peskyhumans.com
Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
Not a fan of hip-hop I'm afraid! I listen to all types of house music, break beats and some crazy euro techno. Lately I'm listening to a bunch of mixes from the Winter Music Conference in Miami. Best music for workin out & cookin!
You WENT?!! ****. Jealously. Rushing over me in an awesome wave. Even when I was working in the music business, I always ended up at crap like Sundance. I hear from everybody that WMC is, uhh, lots of fun. . .

----
www.peskyhumans.com
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Ha! No, I didn't actually go (several of my DJ friends went) I just download hours and hours of mixes! I would be jealous if I went too! It's pretty crazy in Miami, I would love to go...eventually!