"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-16-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
Sous Chef

We have a new freeway going in and this is happening to quit a number of homes here.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
Sous Chef

A couple years ago there was a huge E. D. push going on in a local community. Not for a highway. A developer came in and wanted to buy up a big neighborhood though E.D. They wanted the property for retail and office use with some condo's as well. The communitiy drooled at the tax possibilities as they were mismanaging their funds and spiraling towards bankruptcy. So they approved the developers plans and declared the neighborhood blighted. A few owners resisted, they were evicted anyway, so they took their case to the Supreme Court. They won their case. Meanwhile the developers tore down the whole neighborhood, only leaving the three houses that were part of the lawsuit. The remaining three houses had been stripped of anything of value (by the developers), were vandalized and uninhabitable at that point.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:08 PM   #13
Head Chef

Most eminent domain issues are entirely legit in that they are for a realistic public necessity.

My in-laws were having a portion of their yard taken away for the widening of a roadway that sorely needed it. No argument there.

However the question then becamw what was just compensation. We recommended to my fil that he contact a very good lawyer in handling eminent domain cases (fortunately we were able to get him a referral although we have nothing to do with lawyers). While most folks in the neighborhood just took what the county was offering, he got what really was a realistic settlement.

In many instances the question becomes whether the proferred amount for the property conforms to what the fifth amendment terms 'just compensation'.

Sometimes you cannot stop the taking of the property, but you can fight for a fair compensation for the taking.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:55 PM   #14
Master Chef

I'm surprised that there are some who haven't heard of this. Yes, there are ugly downsides of it, absolutely. HOWEVER, we would not have coast-to-coast railways (which to you young'uns seem uneccesary, haha) or the interstate system (which you wouldn't dream of living without) without it. It is sad sometimes when it is abused. It has been abused since it started, and that is sad.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
This happens all the time. When highways or bridges, etc. are being built, the houses in the way are bought from the owners so the work can be done.

The arguement is that it is for the greater good of all.
True, and usually the owners are offered a fair amount for the property in advance of work, and can choose to accept or decline. Usually it is not as much as one would expect to gain, but if your in the area of new construction, be it a bridge or highway, accept the offer and take your loss I guess. Sad but true.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:02 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Not only do I learn how to cook on this site, but also receive education. Thank you all for your time and your knowledge.

Eminent domain is so prevelent right now due to the simple but obvious fact that Busch, who owns Grant's Farm, wants to sell some of the property. I live so close to the Farm. He wants to sell to devloper for condos or some kind of housing project. Well, many people right next to the undeveloped portion of the property are really up in arms. They have hired very good attorney but when it comes to Busch my personal thoughts are person doesn't have a chance. It certainly will make difference during summer as their are so many people who visit their tourist attraction. Busch really does make effort to make the visit comfortable as possible. Recently bought new vehicles that are air conditioned. Never could understand that as when person thinks of visiting farm not many comforts can be available. Maybe only my relatives who still work in the heat. So we will just have to wait and see how this all turns out. I am sure what the surrouding neighborhoods want affect the Busch's feelings.

Makes one wonder when we will be next!
Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Does Title Insurance cover you for eminent domain? I know we don't have Title Insurance here as it is implicit in the Torrens Title system, and I'm pretty sure Canada has it, but I can't recall whether the US has it.
We do have title insurance, but I don't believe it covers eminent domain. It's intended to protect your right to your property in the event that there's a challenge regarding who owns the title.

With the appropriate skepticism regarding the veracity of Wikipedia, here's an interesting description of title insurance and why it exists in the U.S.: Title insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #18
Master Chef

When the Interstate came through here forty some-odd years ago, half of one guys house was on the land needed for the highway, so he just let them cut off that part of the house, and he bricked up the rest and stayed put.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:21 PM   #19
Executive Chef

5{ce;509131]When the Interstate came through here forty some-odd years ago, half of one guys house was on the land needed for the highway, so he just let them cut off that part of the house, and he bricked up the rest and stayed put.[/QUOTE]

You talk about determination! He wasn't going to give them everything. Great! Is he still living there? Isn't the house noisy? This really made me laugh but i bet he was mad.

Won't forget this one.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
When the Interstate came through here forty some-odd years ago, half of one guys house was on the land needed for the highway, so he just let them cut off that part of the house, and he bricked up the rest and stayed put.
that's just amazing!