"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We do have title insurance, but I don't believe it covers eminent domain. It's intended to protect your right to your property in the event that there's a challenge regarding who owns the title.

With the appropriate skepticism regarding the veracity of Wikipedia, here's an interesting description of title insurance and why it exists in the U.S.: Title insurance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I used to work for the Surveyor General of WA and I remember helping him with the research on Title Insurance but couldn't remember the details. (It was quite a few years ago!) The Titles Office is in the same umbrella dept as the Surveyor General's Office, although nothing is known by the same names anymore! The link you provided was a much simpler breakdown than anything I read way back then!! Where was Wikipedia when I needed it!! LOL

Old 11-18-2007, 03:19 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
They eminent domain'd a few houses around here for a drug company to take over the land.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:37 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
They're doing that big time here. Buying people out of their homes for... yet ANOTHER shopping plaza that we don't need !!!!!!!!!!!
My town is not that big yet we have 5 or 6 shopping plazas.
4 of them are 90% vacant.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Does Title Insurance cover you for eminent domain? .

No. It insures the clear title on your property.

Actually ED was a bigger story in the 1960's when "urban renewal" so-called was all the rage.

Boston's West End was leveled and thousands of people displaced in an effort to get rid of slums in the very early 1960's.

West End, Boston, Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #25
Master Chef

Wasn't there this huge big case where the goverment took somebody's proparty to build a store, was it like couple of years ago? It shows what money can do.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Wasn't there this huge big case where the goverment took somebody's proparty to build a store, was it like couple of years ago? It shows what money can do.
It happens all the time, but you might be referring to the case described in the link Got Garlic posted.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Before Emiment Domain can be enforced here, the property owner must be offered a fair price for their property. If the owner refuses that price, then the property can be taken, but only after the property is condemned and declared "uninhabitable". They get it to this point by cutting off the water and electricity to the property and after a few weeks without electricty, water for sanitation, or heat, the property really is condemned by the health department and the "authority" seizes it.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flourgirl View Post
Before Emiment Domain can be enforced here, the property owner must be offered a fair price for their property. If the owner refuses that price, then the property can be taken, but only after the property is condemned and declared "uninhabitable". They get it to this point by cutting off the water and electricity to the property and after a few weeks without electricty, water for sanitation, or heat, the property really is condemned by the health department and the "authority" seizes it.
Does this seem fair? I know the only way to make things different is to get involved someway in the political system. However, I feel you can't really trust anyone and the effort is futile. This is just terrible that they can make someone give up their property by cutting off the utilities. What kind of life is that? You are forced to do what the government wants. They call this being 'free'? Sorry but money is always the bottom line. With everything
Old 11-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I can't afford to buy my own house. However, if I could, it scares me that there could be a possibility that it's not quite mine because of this eminent domain thing. It's not fair!!! Considering how much houses go for, it seems so unfair that it can be taken away. Doesn't seem right that you can lose it because of someone else's whim. But how in the world can they force the utilities to be turned off. That's so illegal!!!! It scares me to the point where I don't want to even take a chance.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Seems like eminent domain started when the pilgrims first set foot at Plymouth Rock
I believe that falls under Manifest Destiny - unlike Eminent Domain that requires the government to insure "equitable" compensation for stealing your land and home.

I have very mixed emotions on this. Sometimes it is justified ... sometimes it is not. It depends totally on the situation, what the land will be used for, and who will benefit from it ... and in what way.