"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-01-2011, 11:59 AM   #1
Everymom

Empty nest!

Holy crap! How did this happen? My oldest (Bugs) is in Paris right now, probably trying to get some sleep as she is likely pretty jetlagged, and my youngest is over at a friend's place. Ken is off to work and I'm on my own here with the furries.

Now while being alone in the house is not an unusual thing for me, I'm feeling a bit lost today. I'm realizing that my angels are growing up way too fast and my nest is feeling very empty. My heart hurts. I miss everyone today.

I'm trying to be busy and to distract myself, but I'm struggling with that a bit. I just can't believe its come so quickly. It seems like just yesterday I was venting about my little ones and now they're not so little anymore. I had myself a little pity party and now I'm going to try to pick myself up and get going. I may need to indulge in some retail therapy!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I know the feeling. It hit me hardest when I was taking senior prom pictures of my younger daughter. I saw her all grown up and looking so beautiful and realized I was losing my baby.

You get over it because if you've done your job, they never leave you. Your relationship changes and you have to be ready to accept the change.

Old 07-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Everymom

Thanks Andy. It just sort of sneaked up on me and blindsided me. I'm so proud of my girls and the ladies they are becoming. I hope I've done my job with them and they'll be with me a while longer.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I may need to indulge in some retail therapy!
ALWAYS a good thing!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I have no doubt they will.

It was particularly difficult for me to stop treating them like children and start treating them like the adults they are. I'm one of those dads who tells you the history of time if you ask what the time is. Now I wait to be asked for advice before I speak (briefly).

As recently as Father's Day, we were all at the dinner table and a question came up (I forget what it was) and my daughter prefaced her request for an answer with, "..without an in depth analysis,..."

...but I got even. I was talking about using a cake pan band when making your lemon cake to make a flat topped cake and she asked why that worked. So, being a , I prefaced my reply with, "That requires an in depth analysis..."
Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #6
Master Chef

Alix, I know how you feel! Mine were leaving home at the same time my mom was dying of cancer. That was really tough. I still have days when I wonder how they grew up so fast! I'm sure knowing your Bugs is an ocean away and not just down the street and the holiday combined to make today especially lonely. Let me assure you, you will enjoy your kids as adults and they will always need you!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I'm sure knowing your Bugs is an ocean away and not just down the street and the holiday combined to make today especially lonely.
Or down the basement! The house was so quiet when I got up this morning. No rustlings or anything. Weird! What crazy person lets their 17 year old go off to Paris for a month! Oh right...me. *sigh* Thanks jabbur, I am glad to know they will always be around somehow.

Andy, I LOL'ed at the "in depth analysis". Oh so funny! Thanks for that!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Sous Chef

>>What crazy person lets their 17 year old go off to . . .

that would be my parents. at 17 I went overseas for a full year - yeah, they made me go to school....