"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I just recently passed the national registry test and I am now certified as an EMT-B, I am currently testing for the Phoenix fire department as well. I have two uncles and a cousin that are already on with the department. Growing up (im 24 now) I saw the type of people that my uncles were and aspired to be like them. Every day they go to work hoping for the opportunity to save someones life. I would call it the ultimate "customer service" position considering you sometimes have the opportunity to save the customers life. :)

Old 10-17-2006, 05:28 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Itk I think it's a very honorable thing your son is doing. He deserves all the respect he can get.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:12 PM   #13
Executive Chef

NEVER Disappointed

When I open up what is highest in my heart, it never ever fails that I get such support. It does humble me to hear the words you give to encourage him. I only hope he will take the time to read this. He is not one for receiving compliments or encouragement. He feels he has made his decision and it is his life. Evidently he wants to help others in this way. Giving to another person is what we are supposed to do.

I am thankful you all know what he will have to expect. I only know I try to protect him as much as any mother would. I appreciate your thoughts and I do thank you for helping me to accept his goal. As you have said, maybe his dreams are not impossible. We all have to hope tomorrow is a brighter day. I truly value your comments about all things in my life. Bless you all with the same respect and love you have given me. When it comes to one of your own you hope their choices are all right. Thanks
Old 10-17-2006, 07:29 PM   #14
Head Chef

The EMT's have been great for me when I would have a Panic Attack. I called and they came right over.

Your son sounds like a wonderful person and I think it is a great that he is continuing with his studies.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:49 PM   #15
Executive Chef

My husband is an EMT and firefighter for the city of Bellingham. I've heard him say several times that it's the best job in the world. My mom has been a nurse in the ER for over 25 years and my stepdad is a doctor in the ER and has been for over 35 years.

I think it takes a certain kind of person to have a job like that. You need to be able to make fast decisions and work under extreme pressure. I also think it takes a certain degree of detachment. My husband, mom and stepdad all leave their work at work. My husband has seen some pretty horrible, wierd and fantastic things but after all that he still says it's the best job. It's very rewarding and I am so proud of the work he does.

Best of luck to your son!
Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I think you should have faith in your son, not question his abilities, i would be proud, not thinking my son is going to screw up. You said "i don't even trust my doctor, thats why i put my life in a higher power" If you really feel that way, don't you think you sons life is in a higher power as well? and if something bad is not supposed to happen, it won't?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #17
Senior Cook

EMT's are a great bunch of people. They are the first responders and are the Dr's eyes and ears before they get to the hospital, and somehow manage to keep seriously injured people alive until they DO reach the hospital ER. It could also be a stepping stone for your son on his way to being a Dr. One of our ER Doctor's started out as an EMT, liked what he saw and went back to school and is now one of our ER Physicians. I have great respect for what they do. I'm an X-Ray Technologist who works the graveyard shift (11pm to 7:30am), so I see a lot when it comes to what our EMT's do. Watch 'The Critical Hour' on Discovery Health (if you get the channel) and you'll get an example of what all they do.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:06 AM   #18
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
EMT are a very distinguished group in my book. I have a few friends that are emt's and it never ceases to amaze me. Every call is different, and you NEVER know what to really expect. I give kudos to ANYONE that is a public servent, especially when a life is on the lines.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:02 AM   #19
Senior Cook

I have complete faith in EMTs, and I have so much admiration for them. They're brave people who go into dangerous situations and remain calm, thinking only about the patient and his well being. Your son must be a wonderful person to want to help others in need.