"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #51
Senior Cook

My friends say white topaz sparkles just as much as diamond. I say do what you want and the heck with anyone else's opinion. It's how you personally demonstate your commitment. Be happy! And you know what, if you love each other completely, that's all that matters. Isn't that sparkle enough?

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #52
Master Chef

I don't know where you live, but there are also places that let you dig you prospect for jem stones and such for a small fee. You go out and either dig thru or sift thru looking for jem stones. Then you can have them cut it, polish it, and mount it for you. Not free but much cheaper than in the stores, and your quality is limited only by what you find.
There is one up north here, I wanna say UP Michigan area, that has a mine where you can prospect for some type of diamond. Apparently it isn't an actual diamond, but when cut and shined up sure looks and sparkles like one.
The lady that does this stuff is on the Travel Channel, interesting stuff.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Actually a few years back there was a show saying Walmart and Kmart actually carry really decent diamonds. I still think CZ is the way to go I have some earrings that sparkle like crazy. My former boss in Texas who is very wealthy likes to wear gigantic CZ earrings. She has a huge amount of expensive real gemstone jewelry including giant diamond rings but at the same time she enjoys the CZ. Many people that owned really expensive stones years ago used to wear reproductions of their pieces called paste in case they were robbed. Anyone remember that? CZ is way better then that they can actually create the heat and pressure that makes a diamond and other precious stones.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #54
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Actually a few years back there was a show saying Walmart and Kmart actually carry really decent diamonds. I still think CZ is the way to go I have some earrings that sparkle like crazy. My former boss in Texas who is very wealthy likes to wear gigantic CZ earrings. She has a huge amount of expensive real gemstone jewelry including giant diamond rings but at the same time she enjoys the CZ. Many people that own really expensive stones used to wear reproductions of their pieces called paste in case they were robbed.
i'd prefer a good quality CZ...you can't really tell and they are a lot less expensive.