Engagement ring alternatives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When our youngest son and his girlfriend became engaged they didn't have two pennies to rub together. Amy didn't particularly want an engagement ring and was lukewarm on a wedding ring. What they ended up doing was saving their pennies and going to a pawn shop and buying a beautiful antique "ring." It was neither an engagement ring nor a wedding ring. Just a pretty ring they both liked.

As someone already mentioned, go out to eat fewer times and put that money in a separate account, add to it the money you might spend on new "toys," etc. In no time, you'll have enough money to buy a nice ring or rings, if Jake wants a ring.

Buck and I know someone who couldn't afford a diamond ring and, instead, the lovely engagement ring has a CZ in it. Now, more than 20 years later, the CZ is still in the ring.

James used to work at a store that sold new and used jewelry (as well as coins, antiques, etc.). You can get some really good deals on good jewelry at some of those stores. We could never have afforded my wedding set at one of the name brand jewelry stores (btw, he was always repairing jewelry that people bought at a particular name brand store in the town where he worked).

My friend threw her ring (when it didn't work out with her husband--they have since remarried) into a river. Don't try that with a tattooed ring! :LOL:

:)Barbara

oohhhlll! an antique ring! NOW you;re talkin!

barb, glad your buddy didn't jump with her ring!!!!!:ohmy:

Does it really have to be a regular ring???

Last edited by a moderator:
well, davehutchins, a tatoo is more of a commitment- you can't throw a tattoo away or pawn that tattoo.

I knew a girl who had a tattoo'ed wedding band. I loved it. Me... I wanted the diamond! lol!! He wanted to get me a big one, I insisted that I only wanted a small one. SILLY SILLY ME!!!

well, davehutchins, a tatoo is more of a commitment- you can't throw a tattoo away or pawn that tattoo.

Maybe not but you're stuck with it for life. Btw the laser removal is much more painful than the tat itself. Keep that in mind.

A ring does not a marriage make.
Even K-Mart has good sales..it could be sterling silver.
Stay away from a tatoo.
Marge

i'm not really a fan of engagement rings.
whatta you say...

That's exactly what I told him a year ago. The last thing I needed or wanted was anything thing, or diamonds. I have great ones, didn't need any more, And, you're right, an engagement ring doesn't make the marriage, or the relationship for that matter.

Once she had it on her finger though that all changed.

Oh, how right you are. He surprised me with one at Easter. To this day, I don't know why he did it, but I also can't describe how it made me feel. I look at it every day and smile. It's not big, it's not flashy, but I know where his heart was, and I will treasure it always.

Would I have rathered he save the money for the wedding? Maybe. But, I don't think so. :)

:) Forget the tattoo personally I think they are tacky and your relationship deserves better. A CZ is actually becoming very popular they look like the real thing and you can get as big of one as you want and if by chance you lose it you wont curl up and die you will just get another. I would check out pawn shops as well, it could be a nice sapphire or emerald. I also love the antique ring idea. An engagement ring can be just about anything you want even a really nice Turquoise ring. You might look up on Internet on the different meanings of different stones and go from there. It isn't the price of the ring but what it means.

Last edited:
I insisted on getting DW an engagement ring before asking her to marry me, got a really nice one with a decent stone. While she loved the romance of it all (special night, bended knee, etc), she could have cared less about the ring. In fact, she barely ever wore it (really hurt my feelings at the time). Turns out she just doesn't care for diamonds, it sits in one of her jewelry boxes around here somewhere.
Originally I got us both cheap gold wedding bands, both lost long ago. 7 years ago I bought us a new platinum and gold set with the anniversary date and our special inscription inside. For the longest time she never wore hers, but now I think she is starting to realize it is not so much about the ring or what type it is or how much it cost, but the love it represents...
I don't see why a tattoo can't represent the same thing, or anything else you choose to get or go with. It is just a symbol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom