"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
English Test Score....100%!

For the very first time, I have scored a 100% on an English test today. I've finally learned all those contractions!

Thank you all for your help! Or shall I say "y'all," as Carl does?

With love,
~Cat

__________________

__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,167
Congratulations, Cat!!! Keep up the good work. Just think how scores like that will elevate your grade point average!!!!
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Thank you, Katie! Yes, this will certainly reflect upon my GPA. Mamma and Papa will be very happy, and DA is very proud of me. Many of you have helped me with this, and I owe you so very much.

I couldn't have done this without your help. Thank you!

With love and gratitude,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,134
Great job, Cat!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Great, Cat!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #6
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Thank you both! But please continue to correct me, all of you.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,418
Congratulations! Contractions are one of the most difficult things for non-native English speakers to master.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #8
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Congratulations! Contractions are one of the most difficult things for non-native English speakers to master.
Oh yes, they are! Thank you!

When I first came here, I went to a store and a clerk said, "Your English isn't very good. Maybe you need some lessons or something."

I wasn't surprised at this. I knew my English wasn't the best then. But I did say, "Yes, you are right. But I am sure my Romanian is very much better than yours."

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
Wine Guy
 
Steve Kroll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Posts: 5,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I wasn't surprised at this. I knew my English wasn't the best then. But I did say, "Yes, you are right. But I am sure my Romanian is very much better than yours."
That's quite funny! Your English is fine.

I'll tell you a story. I have three friends in Las Vegas who are brothers, and originally from Italy. I won't use their real names. Let's call them Lino, Nino, and Gino. When they moved to the US, Lino was 12, Nino was 18, and Gino was around 25. None of them spoke any English when they came here.

Gino never learned to speak English at all. If he wants something over the phone, he has to rely on one of his brothers to make the call for him. He reads enough English to just get by.

Nino, the middle brother, speaks and writes English well but has a very thick Italian accent. Sometimes he is a little hard to understand. Especially when he gets excited.

Lino, the youngest, speaks English with a perfect American accent. If you met him, you would never know he wasn't born here. He has become fully Americanized.

The reason I say this is because as we get older, we lose the ability to easily learn languages. You are lucky you are young. Because of that, and because you are willing to work hard, I'm certain you will be a very good English speaker someday.
__________________
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
That's quite funny! Your English is fine.

I'll tell you a story. I have three friends in Las Vegas who are brothers, and originally from Italy. I won't use their real names. Let's call them Lino, Nino, and Gino. When they moved to the US, Lino was 12, Nino was 18, and Gino was around 25. None of them spoke any English when they came here.

Gino never learned to speak English at all. If he wants something over the phone, he has to rely on one of his brothers to make the call for him. He reads enough English to just get by.

Nino, the middle brother, speaks and writes English well but has a very thick Italian accent. Sometimes he is a little hard to understand. Especially when he gets excited.

Lino, the youngest, speaks English with a perfect American accent. If you met him, you would never know he wasn't born here. He has become fully Americanized.

The reason I say this is because as we get older, we lose the ability to easily learn languages. You are lucky you are young. Because of that, and because you are willing to work hard, I'm certain you will be a very good English speaker someday.
I like that story! Thank you so very much for it.

I hope to conquer English, with one way or another. I do have an accent but I've been told it isn't too bad.

Thank you very much for your kind words of encouragement. I'll continue to work hard. You're very nice to me!

With love,
~Cat
__________________

__________________
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.