English Test Score....100%!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatPat

Washing Up
For the very first time, I have scored a 100% on an English test today. I've finally learned all those contractions!

Thank you all for your help! Or shall I say "y'all," as Carl does? :LOL:

With love,
~Cat

Thank you, Katie! Yes, this will certainly reflect upon my GPA. Mamma and Papa will be very happy, and DA is very proud of me. Many of you have helped me with this, and I owe you so very much.

I couldn't have done this without your help. Thank you!

With love and gratitude,
~Cat

Thank you both! But please continue to correct me, all of you.

With love,
~Cat

Congratulations! Contractions are one of the most difficult things for non-native English speakers to master.

Oh yes, they are! Thank you!

When I first came here, I went to a store and a clerk said, "Your English isn't very good. Maybe you need some lessons or something."

I wasn't surprised at this. I knew my English wasn't the best then. But I did say, "Yes, you are right. But I am sure my Romanian is very much better than yours."

With love,
~Cat

I wasn't surprised at this. I knew my English wasn't the best then. But I did say, "Yes, you are right. But I am sure my Romanian is very much better than yours."
That's quite funny! :LOL: Your English is fine.

I'll tell you a story. I have three friends in Las Vegas who are brothers, and originally from Italy. I won't use their real names. Let's call them Lino, Nino, and Gino. When they moved to the US, Lino was 12, Nino was 18, and Gino was around 25. None of them spoke any English when they came here.

Gino never learned to speak English at all. If he wants something over the phone, he has to rely on one of his brothers to make the call for him. He reads enough English to just get by.

Nino, the middle brother, speaks and writes English well but has a very thick Italian accent. Sometimes he is a little hard to understand. Especially when he gets excited.

Lino, the youngest, speaks English with a perfect American accent. If you met him, you would never know he wasn't born here. He has become fully Americanized.

The reason I say this is because as we get older, we lose the ability to easily learn languages. You are lucky you are young. Because of that, and because you are willing to work hard, I'm certain you will be a very good English speaker someday. :)

Last edited:
That's quite funny! :LOL: Your English is fine.

I'll tell you a story. I have three friends in Las Vegas who are brothers, and originally from Italy. I won't use their real names. Let's call them Lino, Nino, and Gino. When they moved to the US, Lino was 12, Nino was 18, and Gino was around 25. None of them spoke any English when they came here.

Gino never learned to speak English at all. If he wants something over the phone, he has to rely on one of his brothers to make the call for him. He reads enough English to just get by.

Nino, the middle brother, speaks and writes English well but has a very thick Italian accent. Sometimes he is a little hard to understand. Especially when he gets excited.

Lino, the youngest, speaks English with a perfect American accent. If you met him, you would never know he wasn't born here. He has become fully Americanized.

The reason I say this is because as we get older, we lose the ability to easily learn languages. You are lucky you are young. Because of that, and because you are willing to work hard, I'm certain you will be a very good English speaker someday. :)

I like that story! Thank you so very much for it.

I hope to conquer English, with one way or another. I do have an accent but I've been told it isn't too bad.

Thank you very much for your kind words of encouragement. I'll continue to work hard. You're very nice to me!

With love,
~Cat

Although I don't 'know' you---- congratulations!

A question for you----- sort of. Although contractions are surely hard to master in a different language I remember reading a while back how hard it was for people trying to speak English to master the (spoken) words tough and bough and cough and dough.

Do you find them difficult?

Back
Top Bottom