"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #21
Head Chef

Only that approaching the world food shortage from the standpoint of cutting back on US consumption of food does not address the real problem. Since 1999, world populatiion has increased around 700 million to 6.7 billion, projected by many to reach 9 B by 2050. Food production cannot keep up. Unfortunately, for every Mother Teresa, who truly wants to help people, there are 10 others who are exploiting the situation for their own benefit, political, economic or power. A senate committee has just passed a Global Poverty Bill to the tune of 900 billion. Little of this money will end up in the hands of the starving, but will be used to further control poor populations. The most recent example is Miramar, where the corrupt government refuses aid.
My last political rant in this forum. Sorry.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:51 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Keeping politics out of the discussion, I was curious about your comment as it seemed to be sort of contradictory. 'either too many people or too little food... ' isn't that the same thing?

Also, check you statistics. I think there is an error in your world population growth numbers. The world population could not possibly have grown from less than a billion to 6.7 billion in 9 years.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #23
Head Chef

Sorry, the world population was slightly under 6 billion. I think I said that the population increased by 700 million. Population and food production (and consumption), to me, while related to the hunger problem, are not the same thing. One is supply, the other demand
Old 06-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

You're right, I misread your post.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:40 PM   #25
Head Chef

Back on topic. Is it just me, or have others noticed that while lower priced cuts of meat, most notably chicken, bacon, and sausage and hamburger have increased in price noticably, mid range beef, particularly steaks, have gone down, even during the summer barbecue season? I know that I have been favoring lower priced meats. Higher priced meats, like lamb, filet, and prime seafood, don't seem to have changed much.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:48 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Not here, Bigjim. We have been having regular sales on less expensive meats. I just bought whole chickens for $0.79/Lb. and boneless skinless breasts for $1.99/Lb. I don't know how those prices compare to other parts of the country but are sale prices for me. Those have been our sale pries for sometime. Also, boneless chuck roasts have a sale price of $1.99 /Lb.

At the other end of the scale, I bought a whole tenderloin for $8.69/Lb. This and the chuck roasts are choice grade.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #27
Head Chef

Here the going rate for whole chickens is around $1.29/pd, up from around .69. I bought chicken on sale a couple of weeks ago for .79. Bacon has gone from around $2.00 to 3.00 +. Sausage similar. I don' remember boneless ribeye prices from a year ago, but they are now around 6.50 to 7.50 for choice. Eggs here are now over $2.50 at the supermarket for jumbo's. I do a fair amount of shopping at COSTCO, and their prices don't seem to have changed much, except for steak, which has gone down.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #28
Sous Chef

I've been hearing of 'world hunger' since I was a kid, about 40 years now.

I figured in the last four decades, between attrition and birth control, world hunger would have been handled by now.

Alas, it seems that by feeding the starving masses they procreate thus creating more starving masses .... Not to say I'm unsympathetic but it's not rational to try and fix a problem which sets up more of the same problem .... what can be done to stop this circle?

A question I've always had, and this by no means applies to only third world countries, is why do you continue making babies if you can't take care of them.

Rationing has been mentioned, God help you if you even try getting between people and what they want. People work hard for their money and By God that gives them the right to whatever they want, no matter how socially irresponsible what they want may be.

Ethical consumerism, good luck with that. Long as there are those who insist on living ibn dwellings thousands of feet larger than they need, or vehicles thousands of pounds heavier than they can use, and those who must have the latest and greatest in anything, and who rate style greater than substance, society and ethics will be at a disadvantage.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:12 PM   #29
Head Chef

What he said. I am not sure that there is any way to fix the problem. I am pretty sure that my cutting back on what I eat, or the government spending a trillion dollars of yours and my money, is not going to prevent a single person from starving. I guess it does make us feel better.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:25 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

[quote=Wart;627198]...I figured in the last four decades, between attrition and birth control, world hunger would have been handled by now.

The vast majority of the world's population does not practice birth control. "Attrition" only works if people stop making babies. The world has been experiencing positive population growth since the start of the human race.

Alas, it seems that by feeding the starving masses they procreate thus creating more starving masses .... Not to say I'm unsympathetic but it's not rational to try and fix a problem which sets up more of the same problem .... what can be done to stop this circle?

Sounds like you are proposing that we let people starve so they can't procreate. A novel approach to population control. Though cheaper than feeding and educating people so they can improve their situations, that's probably not going to be the way civilized people approach the problem.

A question I've always had, and this by no means applies to only third world countries, is why do you continue making babies if you can't take care of them.

Some people actually enjoy the procreation process.