"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-14-2005, 07:23 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
you have obviously had your dog "fixed"...
Quote:
you have obviously had your dog "fixed"...
Yup. Though we love her, I wouldn't want any more like her. She can be such a pain. When she was just a bit younger, she would run accross the livingroom, leap into the air and use whoever was handy as a springboard to launch herself in the opposite direction. And let me tell you, a 35 to 40 lb. dog traveling at however fast she can run can transfer considerable energy to your belly when she hit you. And don't even get me started about how much noise she makes whenever someone comes to our door, or we go outside to work in the yard without taking her along.

She's sometimes made me wonder how she'd taste in a stew.

But seriously, there are many reasons to hunt, and many reasons not to hunt. It isn't a required survival skill in our current society. And yet, just as with gardening, it is a valuable skill. I can see how national and global circustances would make hunting for survival a required skill. Our way of life is often more fragile than we think. And I do know of families that were very poor, for one reason or another, who lived off of hunting and gathering skills. They ate foods that could be gathered from the wild, and hunted.

I just couldn't bring myself to trophy hunt. I'm kind of a non-vilolent type. It pains me just a bit to watch a life taken, even a Christmas Tree. And yet, I used to go out in the woods and cut them with my family, and will again if I ever have grandchildren. I just keep the sadness to myself. And I don't know if the tree really has any sentience. And I still want meat with my sweet potatoes thank you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 08:56 AM   #12
Master Chef

I don't know how to say this without sounding nuttier than I am, but I think of trees as living "beings". I have 200 foot oak trees surrounding my house, as well as an ancient dogwood and an old sassafras that you can't even reach around. They've been here so long, and seen so much, bending in the wind instead of breaking, standing guard on this little piece of land...I feel they have spirits of their own.

Old 12-14-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

That does not sound nutty at all Constance. They ARE alive after all. Sure they might not have a central nervous system, but none of us can claim to really know what it is like to be a tree

I have no problem with people who hunt for food. Humans are at the top of the food chain and are omnivours. Some people make a choice to be vegetarian (and I have no problem with that of course), but we are really omnivourus. As long as people hunt for food then I feel that is just part of the life cycle of animals. Personally I don't think I would ever be able to pick up a gun and shoot something, but that is just me. I have fished and have no problem doing that. I guess I could be considered a hypocrite because I have no problem killing insects.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I don't know how to say this without sounding nuttier than I am, but I think of trees as living "beings". I have 200 foot oak trees surrounding my house, as well as an ancient dogwood and an old sassafras that you can't even reach around. They've been here so long, and seen so much, bending in the wind instead of breaking, standing guard on this little piece of land...I feel they have spirits of their own.
constance, that's not nutty at all. did you know that the tradition of knocking on wood supposedly dates back to the druids? it was to call up the spirits of the wood for luck and protection.

knowing my luck, i would knock on the wood, and end up getting a whiny druish princess...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 11:55 AM   #15
Everymom

GROOOOAN! Buckytom that was BAAAD!
Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:

knowing my luck, i would knock on the wood, and end up getting a whiny druish princess...
"SPACE BALLS, the Flamethrower! <The kids LOVE this one!>"

And of course, my favorite line from that film..

"They've gone to plaid! They must have overshot us by a week!"

John
Old 12-14-2005, 12:37 PM   #17
Everymom

"I see your schwartz is as big as mine..." I'd better stop there, this could take us SERIOUSLY off topic. BTW, big favourite here too! Kids just discovered Spaceballs and loved it. And now, back to our topic of the Ethics of hunting...(sorry about the hijack!)
Old 12-14-2005, 12:47 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
And now, back to our topic of the Ethics of hunting...(sorry about the hijack!)
Hmm, would using a flamethrower for hunting be ethical? I mean, think of the time savings when it comes to grilling!

John
Old 12-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

all kidding aside, burning the hair off a beastie before you cook is a very efficient way of eliminating it. otherwise, you'd have to boil the animal to get rid of the hair. with a 100 lb pig, that ain't easy. where do you get a pot of boiling water big enough to fit the whole carcass?
we actually used a beard trimmer one year...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:56 PM   #20
Everymom

A beard trimmer...you did not. You're messing with me now. That would take FOREVER.