"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Ethics of Hunting

are you a vegetarian, urmaniac?

an old girlfriend tried to freak me out by telling me to look into the eyes of the thing i was about to cook, or eat. "how can you kill such a beautiful animal". she knew i love animals, so it almost worked, until i got hungry.

after hunting and cleaning deer, turkey, and crow, and bludgeoning a pig to death (gruesome story of a pig roast that went bad), and countless fishing trips, i think i've gotten past the sympathy part.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I am not exactly a vegetarian, Bucky, I must confess one of those hypocritical eaters, I do like some chicken/turkey breast, pork tenderloin, mince, bacon, speck etc, also fish, but they must be perfectly filleted so I can consider them as "a form of food", if there is anything that reminds me of its former life graphically, I immediately lose my appetite.... so I really hope you can spare me from that episode of the pig bludgeoning...

Old 12-13-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
Master Chef

Bucky, I didn't know anyone ever actually ate crow. Isn't it kind of nasty tasting?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
after hunting and cleaning deer, turkey, and crow, and bludgeoning a pig to death (gruesome story of a pig roast that went bad), and countless fishing trips, i think i've gotten past the sympathy part.
I agree - I love animals too, but there comes a point where you have to just respectfully take your place at the top of the food chain. I "know" (more like know of) some hunters that go shoot a deer, and then want next to nothing to do with the processing and consumption of the meat - they just want trophy racks. Makes my blood boil.

If you are going to purposefully end the life of an animal - at least do it the service of ending it's life to provide for you and your family (Geez! I think I channeled Ted Nugent there for a minute!)

John
Old 12-13-2005, 11:46 AM   #5
Master Chef

That's OK, Ronjon...I agree completely. My husband hunts with several other guys, some of whom enjoy the hunt, but don't eat the dear. He makes sure it gets all cleaned and packaged, and we eat it.
Some hunters around here donate their deer to the food pantry. There are several processors who will butcher it for free.

As for subbing shark and skate for scallops...I don't mind eating shark or skate, but I want to know what I'm being served.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

same here, about the swap outs of ingredients. i would have no problem eating skate fra diavolo, or shark in butter,lemon and herbs, so long as that was what i was expecting, and paying (less) for.

constance, eating crows is kinda nasty, but we went hunting for them to protect a corn field, and for fun (hey, i was very young), and all of us were adamant about not wasting an animal for sport, so we bbq'd them to make them edible.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

It is believed by many, myself included, that all life has a purpose, and that when any life, be it plant or animal, is taken, it is taken with respect and only as much as is needful. And I am also of the mind that if a person takes on the responsibility of owning a pet, that the pet must be cared for with respect and love for the animal. After all, though the intellect may not be that of a grown himan, it is still an intellect, capable of feelings, and desires. And I know for a fact, that the only things my dog desires are some loving attention, food, and a chance to get outside to relieve herself. If a person mistreats any life, then in some way, at some time, he/she will answer for it.

That said, I am not a vegitarian, I have hunted, and will do so again. I have fished and will again. I have butchered a few chickens in my time. But I have and never will kill for sport, or for a trophy, only to feed myself and my family.

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:31 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Goodweed, my friend, I have to disagree with you on this one. If I had my way, it would be open season on deer all year long. They are a menace and they cause many fatal accidents year after year. Don't get me wrong, I'm an animal lover too and deer are beautiful creatures but they procreate at an amazing rate and there are WAY too many of them. The most common cause of automobile deaths involving deer around here is when a deer is struck and the body rolls over the hood, crashing through the windshield. Whether they are taken for food or not, they need to be shot on sight.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
Master Chef

That is true of deer in some areas. But the offending animal is the North American White Tailed Deer. It is highly adaptive and ranges from Forida to California, to Washington State, and back to Main. They are also found in most parts of Canada. The mule deer, on the other hand, is an endangered species in much of its native range. It is hurt by loss of habitat, and by inter-breeding with white-tailed deer. The inter-breeding deprives the fawns of instinctive protective behavior. The two species have drastically different ways of protecting themselves from predation. When the species interbreed, the mule deer fawn simply loses its natural instinct to run. It stays put, like the odorless and well camoflaged white tail fawn. But it isn't odorless, and doesn't know how to hide itself from predators. So it becomes easy prey.

But remember, any species that over populates an area becomes a nuiscance, even a menace. Some fool though rabbits would be a good transplant into Australia. We have a few Aussies in this group who could probably tell you what a problem they are (the bunnies, not the Aussies).

And I think that we, as animals on this planet, are too successful for our own good as well. In all of Earth's history, whether you are religeous or not, whenever a species has become dominant, and threatened the natural ballance, something catastrophic has occured to knock down that population, even destroy it. I worry about the human animal. We are truly an unballancing force upon this planet.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 01:09 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
And I know for a fact, that the only things my dog desires are some loving attention, food, and a chance to get outside to relieve herself.
you have obviously had your dog "fixed"...