"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2008, 02:39 AM   #1
Head Chef

Ethnic grocery stores are the best bargain out there.

I have a sizable Latino market nearby and an even larger Asian supermarket nearby.

The prices are amazing. I made a Chinese braised pork recipe this last weekend, bought most of the ingredients from the Asian market and paid less than 1/2 the price for the comparable items had I bought them at the local supermarket (some itmes I wouldn't be able to find at the local)

The Asian place has the most amazing fresh (even live) and frozen seafood products.

The Latino market is the same bargain.

My shopping now begins at these places and ends at the Safeway.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Senior Cook

You are so lucky........I would love to have an Asian market to shop at.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I agree. I am cooking Chinese for about 20 people on New Years Day. The market is across town, but I went there yesterday to stock up on what I need for the next few months. Even there, I go by these principles, if I can read more than half the label in English, I do not buy it. I did walk around the store for about 20 minutes looking for fresh bean sprouts. One of those things you know they have, but feel too stupid to ask for. They were out, and getting a shipment today. I walked out with a box full of veggies, sauces, and other seasonings for about $30.00, and it was a large box full. There is a Latino market closer to my office, and I stop there all the time. The Asian market is one of those places I have to go alone. My wife cannot stand the smell of the dried fish. There is also a restaurant right next door that has the best Spring Rolls in soft rice paper. I do not know what they put in their Peanut Sauce, but it is delicious.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Lucky is right, I only have a farmers market and their prices are 25% more than the supermarket. I miss living in NYC for that reason.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
Head Chef

Usually about once a month I make my way to the asian market, spanish market and indian/pakistan market. All within 5 miles of my house. I love seeing the things ive never tried or even heard of before. Trying new things has always been a hobby of mine. And as mentioned, the prices are usually better too. Perfect example are the indian breads I get at the indian store. Much cheaper than at trader joe's (which really isnt that expensive anyway) and also much more variety too
Old 12-30-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I love Trader Joe's. The have great prices on wine, and their chocolate is outstanding. Once you go to an ethnic market, you will never buy that stuff in a regular grocery store. Pita Bread is ridiculus in a regular grocery store. I make homemade humus, and from a store, the bread comes out to between .50 and .75 cents a piece. It is about of that at the Indian market down the street, and is a much better quality. I guess we have the natives to thank for that, because if it was too expensive, they would just make it themselves. I also stock up on Rose Water, I am a tea junkie.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
I agree. I am cooking Chinese for about 20 people on New Years Day. The market is across town, but I went there yesterday to stock up on what I need for the next few months. Even there, I go by these principles, if I can read more than half the label in English, I do no buy it.
I love our ethnic markets as well. The problem for me is if I can't read it I often don't know how to prepare it. That doesn't stop me from trying though
Old 12-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #8
Senior Cook

What I meant by that is Soy Sauce, Hoisin Sauce, etc. The staples. I am not going all that way to buy Kikomann.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I concur. We have a very sizable Latino community in Omaha, and over the years an entire section of our town has slowly tranformed to reflect it.

The grocery stores are truly amazing-the variety of peppers alone, not to mention other authentic ingredients, is mind boggling!
Old 12-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Sous Chef

When I lived in Queens-NYC the ethnic markets were great and everywhere.. small ones big ones it was like foodie paradise. My neighborhood was big on eastern-European, Mid-Eastern and Asian foods. Nearby was Jackson Heights with the fabulous Patel Brothers and Astoria with all its Greco-Italian splendor.

Philly not so great but there is a great Asian supermarket nearby. They have an interesting selection and good prices. I am going to have to hunt for a Latino one. I live right on the edge of a large Latin area but don't know of any good markets there.