Ethnic grocery stores are the best bargain out there.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qmax

Sous Chef
I have a sizable Latino market nearby and an even larger Asian supermarket nearby.

The prices are amazing. I made a Chinese braised pork recipe this last weekend, bought most of the ingredients from the Asian market and paid less than 1/2 the price for the comparable items had I bought them at the local supermarket (some itmes I wouldn't be able to find at the local)

The Asian place has the most amazing fresh (even live) and frozen seafood products.

The Latino market is the same bargain.

My shopping now begins at these places and ends at the Safeway.

I agree. I am cooking Chinese for about 20 people on New Years Day. The market is across town, but I went there yesterday to stock up on what I need for the next few months. Even there, I go by these principles, if I can read more than half the label in English, I do not buy it. I did walk around the store for about 20 minutes looking for fresh bean sprouts. One of those things you know they have, but feel too stupid to ask for. They were out, and getting a shipment today. I walked out with a box full of veggies, sauces, and other seasonings for about $30.00, and it was a large box full. There is a Latino market closer to my office, and I stop there all the time. The Asian market is one of those places I have to go alone. My wife cannot stand the smell of the dried fish. There is also a restaurant right next door that has the best Spring Rolls in soft rice paper. I do not know what they put in their Peanut Sauce, but it is delicious.

Lucky is right, I only have a farmers market and their prices are 25% more than the supermarket. I miss living in NYC for that reason.

Usually about once a month I make my way to the asian market, spanish market and indian/pakistan market. All within 5 miles of my house. I love seeing the things ive never tried or even heard of before. Trying new things has always been a hobby of mine. And as mentioned, the prices are usually better too. Perfect example are the indian breads I get at the indian store. Much cheaper than at trader joe's (which really isnt that expensive anyway) and also much more variety too

I love Trader Joe's. The have great prices on wine, and their chocolate is outstanding. Once you go to an ethnic market, you will never buy that stuff in a regular grocery store. Pita Bread is ridiculus in a regular grocery store. I make homemade humus, and from a store, the bread comes out to between .50 and .75 cents a piece. It is about ¼ of that at the Indian market down the street, and is a much better quality. I guess we have the natives to thank for that, because if it was too expensive, they would just make it themselves. I also stock up on Rose Water, I am a tea junkie.

I agree. I am cooking Chinese for about 20 people on New Years Day. The market is across town, but I went there yesterday to stock up on what I need for the next few months. Even there, I go by these principles, if I can read more than half the label in English, I do no buy it.

I love our ethnic markets as well. The problem for me is if I can't read it I often don't know how to prepare it. That doesn't stop me from trying though :)

I concur. We have a very sizable Latino community in Omaha, and over the years an entire section of our town has slowly tranformed to reflect it.

The grocery stores are truly amazing-the variety of peppers alone, not to mention other authentic ingredients, is mind boggling!

When I lived in Queens-NYC the ethnic markets were great and everywhere.. small ones big ones it was like foodie paradise. My neighborhood was big on eastern-European, Mid-Eastern and Asian foods. Nearby was Jackson Heights with the fabulous Patel Brothers and Astoria with all its Greco-Italian splendor.

Philly not so great but there is a great Asian supermarket nearby. They have an interesting selection and good prices. I am going to have to hunt for a Latino one. I live right on the edge of a large Latin area but don't know of any good markets there.

What I meant by that is Soy Sauce, Hoisin Sauce, etc. The staples. I am not going all that way to buy Kikomann.

Got you! We have an enormous Chinese market. I don't think of buying too many sauces. What I look at is the wide selections in other areas. That is why the language confuses me. Now and then I buy foods I'm not familiar with, take them home and wonder "Now why did I buy this or that thing?"

:) I wish I had access to ethnic markets but alas it is not so. I should take a trip to Albuquerque or Denver and load up.

I love our ethnic markets as well. The problem for me is if I can't read it I often don't know how to prepare it. That doesn't stop me from trying though :)

I was in China this year and still crave the great food we ate over there. When I shop in the Asian Grocery store I will ask the owners how to prepare or use the various items they are selling. They are always happy to help me out. Now when I show up they even have new things for me to try.

Being in LA and aside from having generic Asian markets here, we also have specific Asian markets depending on demographics. We have Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, Filipino, & Thai markets, just to name a few. Most are located just a few miles of one another.
And we also have Latino, Jewish, Indian, & Middle Eastern markets as well.

With all this food shopping convenience, I just wished I knew how to cook...:-p

I wished we had one around here. The best I can do is World Market.... and that is not really what I would consider an ethnic grocery.

In smaller cities they can often be expensive. However in the bigger cities they can be cheaper and have a great selection. H-Mart (Korean market) in Dallas and Houston are great. The produce section is huge.

But the places are busy.

I go to several ethnic stores to get the best deals. They're locally-owned and have AMAZING produce. Similar to others' experiences on this thread, the people working there are diligent in their labor, there are awesome things to try, and they're really very happy to help you out with ways to use things you don't see very often and just generally friendly.

haven't done it it. but i certainly am going to do so. we have at least five spanish mkts. here. three are very near my home. one is brand new. it is very large, watch their ads in paper. cheaper on meat and produce generally. not so much on brand name cans etc. every month is say i will but then subcumb to the ease of on line shopping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom