"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-21-2011, 02:11 AM   #91
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile
We must be from the same genetic pool
Well my dear Bolas, perhaps I should be looking for a long lost brother! :-)

Old 04-23-2011, 12:55 AM   #92
Master Chef

I'm surprised that wait staff still in some states are not paid minimum wage! When I was a waitress (in the 70s, in Virgina) waitresses were considered something like "household" servants, and we were paid very little (way below minimum wage), but we had to pay income tax on what the state of Virginia decided we might be making. Because I lived within the DC environs, it was based on what a high-end DC waitress would make. Ouch. Got me out of the restaurant industry, tout suite! People who complain about the IRS ought to go to Virginia to live.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:36 AM   #93
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If a client has said they will come by to pick up tax returns between noon and 14h, do you think it's good enough to send email at 13h20 to say they can't come?

Wouldn't a phone call be more polite?
Old 04-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #94
Master Chef

somebunny, the lack of manners, not to mention the abysmal use of the English language, on television is probably my husband's pet peeve in this subject, especially the complete lack of the words "you're welcome" after being thanked. You'll listen to interviewers. One day we were watching a news interview and the interviewer said, "Thank you." The interviewee said, "Thank you." And they made two rounds of it. Thank you-no-thank YOU-no THANK YOU." Hey, folks, the answer to thank you is you're welcome. De rien. Pas de quois. Da nada. It was nothing. But not several rounds of thank you!

Another one in the thank you wars is a problem I've had with friends over the year (especially those of the girlfriend variety). That is to say, when I'd compliment one of my friends on a nice dress or cute haircut, etc, they'd immediately put whatever I complimented them on down. "Oh, this old rag" or "Oh, I think she cut it all wrong." As the king said, etc., etc., etc. Finally I told a friend particularly inclined to the self-put-down upon receiving a compliment that she was insulting whoever was complimenting her. As in, this old rag? You must have truly terrible taste if you like my (dress, hairstyle, etc.). So once someone complimented her and she started in on how awful whatever she'd been complimented on, I said, "Susi-Q, the answer to a compliment goes something like this, "Thank you; I'm glad you like it."
Old 04-23-2011, 10:22 AM   #95
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If a client has said they will come by to pick up tax returns between noon and 14h, do you think it's good enough to send email at 13h20 to say they can't come?

I don't think it's more or less polite.

In the business world, emails are a common form of communication and have replaced phone calls in many situations. The reason for the communication is to let you know he's not coming.

Being older it was an effort for me to make that change but I did because I had to. Now I'm trying to deal with texting, but not while I'm driving.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #96
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't think it's more or less polite.

In the business world, emails are a common form of communication and have replaced phone calls in many situations. The reason for the communication is to let you know he's not coming.

Being older it was an effort for me to make that change but I did because I had to. Now I'm trying to deal with texting, but not while I'm driving.
I don't object to email in the least. I find it less invasive when there is no rush. But, in this case, there was very little time left before the end of their "window". I waited until 14h30 and gave up. That was when I saw the email.

Is it reasonable to expect me to check my email every half hour?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #97
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...Is it reasonable to expect me to check my email every half hour?

If your business relies on email, you should check it frequently. How often depends on you and your business' needs.

I hear a notification sound on my computer when I get an email. Then I can check it and decide to read it or not.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #98
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

If you have given clients your e-mail address, then you must expect them to use it. Some people are more comfortable with e-mail than anything else, I know I am. I'd much rather e-mail than call.

If my business needed an e-mail account, I would set one up at Google (Gmail) for it and keep that one open during business hours so I could check it frequently.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm just the opposite. I would rather take care of all my business in one phone call than a few back and forth emails. And I recently made a sizeable purchase from a company that allowed me to call them and answer my questions right then and there, rather than another company that did not want me to call them and kept emailing me back half answers, plus ignoring my quest to find a good time to call them. That's OK. I am quite happy with my purchase of a similar item from someone else.

I have a small business. I had a customer show up out of the blue yesterday just as I was opening. She said she emailed me she was coming...
Of course, I probably would not have seen my answering machine flashing first thing either, but email gives people the impression they can do business, or take care of business related things at any hour of the day. Whereas they might at least phone you during your open hours. In my experience.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #100
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm just the opposite. I would rather take care of all my business in one phone call than a few back and forth emails. And I recently made a sizeable purchase from a company that allowed me to call them and answer my questions right then and there, rather than another company that did not want me to call them and kept emailing me back half answers, plus ignoring my quest to find a good time to call them. That's OK. I am quite happy with my purchase of a similar item from someone else.

I have a small business. I had a customer show up out of the blue yesterday just as I was opening. She said she emailed me she was coming...
Of course, I probably would not have seen my answering machine flashing first thing either, but email gives people the impression they can do business, or take care of business related things at any hour of the day. Whereas they might at least phone you during your open hours. In my experience.
How did she get your e-mail address? If you give it out for your business, then you must expect client's/customers to use it. If you don't want to do business through your e-mail...don't give it out.

Let your customers know the e-mail is only looked at during business hours.

I placed an order yesterday at 6 PM, I fully understand that it will not be looked at until Monday...but then, I have a clue about how life is.