"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
To me, there is a difference between manners and etiquette. Manners are the way you treat the people you are with, saying please, thank you, not picking your nose or teeth in public etc. Etiquette are those rules that are applied to formal social engagements such as weddings, formal dinner parties, receptions etc. So many times people seem to cite arbitrary "rules" in order to show superiority. I figure if you follow the basic golden rule of do unto others most of the time you'll act appropriately.

That said, the one thing that seems to be ignored is the RSVP. I don't know how many times I've asked people to let me know if they are coming and I don't hear and don't know how to plan. Maybe no one ever taught them that RSVP means to respond please.
Yes, you've hit upon one of my petest (if that is a word) of pet peeves. I grew up honoring the concept of RSVPing when noted. Having hosted and assisted in the hosting of events ranging from a few people to major ones, I fully understand all the work, planning and expense that goes into them. RSVPing is, in my estimation, the most considerate way a guest has of respecting the host and their event. There is NO excuse for not responding, especially in the case where a stamped envelope is provided. How difficult is it to check the "yes" or "no" box and return the card?

Yes, we live in a "convenience" world. One in which many of our social interactions involve email, cell phone and other means of lightning-fast electronic communication, but it seems as though folks have forgotten how to slow down and enjoy a gentler, more considerate time.

I'll now get off my soap box and return you to the program already in progress.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
not picking your nose in public .
Oh! So...what you are saying is that, I shouldn't do that?

Old 04-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Oh! So...what you are saying is that, I shouldn't do that?
Behave, Rock!

Old Aunt Lizzie
Old 04-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Hold your utensils like flags and turn them upside down to cut your food. Do not use a fist to hold your cutlery.

I saw lots of that in Paris.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

LOL!!! The Physician's Assistant at work just lost "PF's Delivery Service of Faxes" she is waiting for. I doubt she even realizes it's happened, until she has to walk back to the Subacute Hall to get faxes of labs she requests. It is not something I have to do and she failed to say "Thank You,"...twice.

Manners are more important to me than etiquette. I think being taken for granted is my biggest pet peeve.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #16
Head Chef

Call waiting is rude. If I am on the phone with you, and you say--hang on, I have another call--I am hanging up.

Talking on the phone while you are at the checkout. Talking on the phone while you are on the toilet. Talking on the phone, drinking a soda and smoking a cig while you are driving is way beyond rude--it is deadly.

I pretty much hate cell phones.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:33 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Manners are more important to me than etiquette.
Well said. Feel free to wear your hat at my table, just say please when you want me to pass something and say thank you once I have
Old 04-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by niquejim View Post
Well said. Feel free to wear your hat at my table, just say please when you want me to pass something and say thank you once I have
Ditto.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Call waiting is rude. If I am on the phone with you, and you say--hang on, I have another call--I am hanging up.

Talking on the phone while you are at the checkout. Talking on the phone while you are on the toilet. Talking on the phone, drinking a soda and smoking a cig while you are driving is way beyond rude--it is deadly.

I pretty much hate cell phones.
Call waiting isn't rude. It's how someone uses it that is usually rude. I have visual call waiting, so I can see who is on the other line. I don't answer if I don't know the name/number. I tell my current caller that I have another call and will be right back. I switch calls and say "Hi, I'm on the other line. Can I call you back in ___ minutes?" I then switch back to the original call and apologize and tell them, "I just want to note that call." Then I continue the original call.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #20
Master Chef

I used to hate untrained cell phone users the first few years I didn't own a cell phone. I thought I was going to become one of them if I owned one.
Now that I've been a cell user for several years I despise these inconsiderate users even more.....especially those who talk loudly.