"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well heck yeah. The house is one thing, I was talking diners. Maybe because I live in a farm town. Even some of the waitresses wear ball caps.
I don't think ball caps are the issue. Waitresses should wear some sort of hat, cap or hair net for health purposes (preventing loose hair from falling into our food). Besides, women wearing a hat at the table (as a guest) at home or in public, is acceptable. (Honest, I don't make this stuff up! )

[A waitress who wears a ball cap at work needs to watch "What Not To Wear" - particularly if she wants to increase her tips (a proven fact, what you wear effects them! )]

Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Well heck yeah. The house is one thing, I was talking diners. Maybe because I live in a farm town. Even some of the waitresses wear ball caps.
It depends on the establishment. I always told my brother to look for the eldest male in the room/restaurant and do what he did. Can't go far wrong there.

Of course, my poor brother is a hen-pecked gentlman...three big sisters, unfortunate kid!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It depends on the establishment. I always told my brother to look for the eldest male in the room/restaurant and do what he did. Can't go far wrong there.

Of course, my poor brother is a hen-pecked gentlman...three big sisters, unfortunate kid!
It definitely depends on the establishment or situation.
That's why blanket statements that say something is totally wrong, or that things must be done this way... show poor nettiquette
Old 04-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
It definitely depends on the establishment or situation.
That's why blanket statements that say something is totally wrong, or that things must be done this way... show poor nettiquette
Aw c'mon...it's fun to generalize and see everyone come to arms over the statement.

I always, almost, sometimes make blanket ambiguous statements.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Aw c'mon...it's fun to generalize and see everyone come to arms over the statement.

Yeah, what he said.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #36
Head Chef

I'd like to add to the list of things that have died out to, after going to a party/dinner party etc. to phone, email or (OMG!) snail mail a thank you.
Also if I owned a restaurant that was considered more upscale than McDonald's, I'd have a dress code, no hats, shorts and flipflops in evening dining, and if that would put a lot of potential 'diners' off, so be it, I think I'd still make a profit from diners happy to abide with simple good manners.
And must comment that we here in this thread, appalled at bad manners and blatant non-observance of basic etiquette are (LOL--it's not a laughing matter but what else can I do!) yes we're outnumbered by a huge majority and it appears to be getting worse.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Don't be so unsure of yourself.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #38
Master Chef

I agree with what so many of you have said, but since we are all cooks here, how about grocery store manners?

It seems that the minute some people enter a grocery store, they check their manners at the door! They don't seem to be aware of the people around them, from leaving their carts in the middle of the isle, to talking on their cell phones!! Not to mention blocking the isles with their entire family in tow. Yes, I know there are people who must take their little kids with them, but for Pete sake, teach them the manners to stay out of the way of others. Then there's the check out lines. Fifteen items or less, doesn't mean 15 items to many people. Why can't people place a spacer at the end of their items for the next shopper? The free samples at Costco also get my goat. You'd think those people hadn't eaten in days! I enjoy the free food samples too, but I'm one of the few who thank the demonstrator, and move on leaving room for others. Geeze, why do people stand right there to eat their free food??

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Don't be so unsure of yourself.

I am absolutely, not-positive I agree or disagree with the last statement I made or didn't make.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:46 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSC View Post
I'd like to add to the list of things that have died out to, after going to a party/dinner party etc. to phone, email or (OMG!) snail mail a thank you.
Also if I owned a restaurant that was considered more upscale than McDonald's, I'd have a dress code, no hats, shorts and flipflops in evening dining, and if that would put a lot of potential 'diners' off, so be it, I think I'd still make a profit from diners happy to abide with simple good manners.
And must comment that we here in this thread, appalled at bad manners and blatant non-observance of basic etiquette are (LOL--it's not a laughing matter but what else can I do!) yes we're outnumbered by a huge majority and it appears to be getting worse.
Agreed, we are a very small number and the barbarians are at the gate.