"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #61
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When you're cutting, the fork is holding the meat and is upside down. Then you just move the fork up to your mouth - still upside down.
Come to think of it, that's exactly what I've been doing! Sometimes I'll switch hands and the fork will be right side up.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 PM   #62
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda123 View Post
Some people may not be able to afford a sitter to go to the grocery store or want to leave their children home alone. And, if the whole family (mom, dad, kids, grandma) is there, well, that's fine with me - they are doing "something" together!
Exactly. There are other reasons the whole family may be shopping as well. We often go out as a family for the day and end up doing our shopping at the end just before heading home.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda123 View Post
Some people may not be able to afford a sitter to go to the grocery store or want to leave their children home alone. And, if the whole family (mom, dad, kids, grandma) is there, well, that's fine with me - they are doing "something" together!
My issue isn't so much the numbers, but the lack of courtesy taking up the whole aisle.

Craig
Old 04-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #64
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's the normal way to use a fork in GB. On my first trip to Europe, my husband and I were in a casual restaurant eating a hamburger (normal American "animal style") near Windsor Castle. I was enthralled watching two ladies at the next table eating their entire burgers with a knife and fork. The fork was upside down, and the knife was used to pack the food on the back of the fork. The fork never left the left hand, and the knife never left the right hand. There are certainly different "manners" in other parts of the world. I wonder if they thought we were Barbarians for eating our burgers American style, with catchup dripping down our chins?
We may look barbaric but burgers just don't taste as good when eaten any other way....
Old 04-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

So how are young children taught to eat in European countries?
Here in the US, from what I have seen and experienced myself, a parent generally cuts the food all up, so little Johnny only need concern himself with how to hold the fork "properly".
Is the plate prepared for children similarly in GB and such? If the meat is cut into bite sized pieces, do the children still use their weak hand, convex side up, even though their strong hand has nothing to do as far as cutting?
Old 04-18-2011, 03:52 PM   #66
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Here in the US, from what I have seen and experienced myself, a parent generally cuts the food all up, so little Johnny only need concern himself with how to hold the fork "properly".
Is the plate prepared for children similarly in GB and such? If the meat is cut into bite sized pieces, do the children still use their weak hand, convex side up, even though their strong hand has nothing to do as far as cutting?

You must have read my mind.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:59 PM   #67
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
My issue isn't so much the numbers, but the lack of courtesy taking up the whole aisle.

Craig
Exactly !!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't remember that far back. I ate with proper table manners at age 3. I seem to remember being bribed into learning it with the promise of going to restaurants with my parents once I learned it.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #69
Chef Extraordinaire

I couldn't put an age on it that I was using proper table manners (for my area), but I do remember getting my food cut up for me when I was little. I couldn't even tell you if I was given a knife at age three, lol.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:05 PM   #70
Master Chef

At age 3 all I remember is wearing black olives on my fingers! I still do that when in the company of three year olds.