Etiquette question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We went to Dick's Last Resort in Chicago years ago, it was a hoot! Baby bro brought a girlfriend, and watching the look on her face when they slammed the menus down and threw dinner rolls at us was priceless! The waitress kept mocking the GF's fanny pack, which was pink, and said Princess on it. Waitress also had a paperback in her back pocket that was titled, "All Men Are Pigs and Must Die."

The food was nothing memorable, think we got the bucket 'o shrimp, but the experience was unforgettable.

We have a restaurant like that. Right on the tourist path. Durgin Park. The waitresses are so rude. They will bring a large checkered table cloth and tie it around you neck while telling you, "We don't do your laundry." The also will bring you just a spoon and start to feed you. Then after about the third mouthful, they will ask you if your mother ever taught you to feed yourself. Their behavior is just outrageous. But I love their prime roast beef. You can get the baby one which is cut thin or the full size one that doesn't fit on your plate. Then if you ask for a knife and fork, they ask you if you can be trusted with dangerous utensils. :angel:

We have a restaurant like that. Right on the tourist path. Durgin Park. The waitresses are so rude. They will bring a large checkered table cloth and tie it around you neck while telling you, "We don't do your laundry." The also will bring you just a spoon and start to feed you. Then after about the third mouthful, they will ask you if your mother ever taught you to feed yourself. Their behavior is just outrageous. But I love their prime roast beef. You can get the baby one which is cut thin or the full size one that doesn't fit on your plate. Then if you ask for a knife and fork, they ask you if you can be trusted with dangerous utensils. :angel:

There's a picture of us somewhere with our paper hats at that restaurant. It was really great fun, and a good sense of humor is mandatory. Once was enough though, and I can't imagine them having much of a repeat business at those places no matter how good the food might have been.

Boston Restaurant

I found the picture of Kayelle's hat. It reads,"I hold the record for being the oldest woman alive". Mine read, I met her through Craig's list".

Attachments

• IMG_2855.jpg
    IMG_2855.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 142
I agree Kayelle, once is enough. Unless you go there before kids, then want to take them. We ended up there twice. Yes it's fun, but the area it's in has turned into a major tourist trap area.

Himself and I were at Durgin Park when the kids were in kindergarden, so it's been almost 30 years. We must have had kinder and gentler servers then, plus an earlier time before they were born, because we never had one as interactive as you did, Addie.

I'm pretty sure the prices have changed since I got the souvenir menu (free back in the mid-1970s), but I'm still amused by the notation about tax at the bottom of the inside page. (Yes, I'm a pack rat...:ermm:)

Attachments

• 2015-03-15 21.49.32.jpg
    2015-03-15 21.49.32.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 145
"Massachussetts old age tax...?" :LOL: I prefer the term 'senior'. LOL

Last edited:
Cheryl, I'm guessing that term is from 1827, when Durgin Park first opened. I bet the only things on their menu that have changed in nearly two centuries are the prices.

"Massachussetts old age tax...?" :LOL: I prefer the term 'senior'. LOL

It is the Meals Tax. You always pay a meals tax when you eat in a restaurant. And if you order a sub or premade sandwich such as a sub, there is a meals tax. We also have a hotel tax. Each night you spend in a hotel, you are taxed on a daily basis. Then there is the sales tax on any item that is not food, clothing and certain items relating to education.

They don't call us Taxachusetts for nuttin! :angel:

Normally, if it isn't something very personal, I guess it's okay with us. We don't discuss personal or sensitive issues in public simply because we hear too many of these from a table near us and we just feel like telling them to take it outside. Plus, personal and sensitive issues don't belong in public, period.

My DH is a little more reserved in his conversations and his humor is more dry and subtle than most. I love it! I'm very outgoing and I poke fun at everything and anything.

A few weeks ago we went to a fantastic Italian restaurant, and a sweet lady server came to us (we like her very much) and said she was training a new lady server, and asked us very respectfully if we would mind giving the new lady our order, etc.

We said sure, of course, but some people don't like to be bothered with a new server in training. How are you going to learn if people say no all the time? Our lady server, Lydia, said, "I'd like to bring her here to you guys because you're so much fun."

I replied, "Cool. Bring on the rookie."

So here she comes, Lydia watches a few feet away. The new lady is Teresa.

She introduced herself, and we introduced ourselves. Then I rubbed my hands together gleefully and cooed, "Oooooh, look, honey, a new victim. This is going to be fun!"

He knows to lead me on. He said, "Tell her what happened to the last new server we helped." (The answer is always weird and different.)

I smiled and said, "Oh yeah, that one. She's pursuing a very rewarding career in the Peace Corps in Siberia. Isn't that wonderful?"

Hubby shrugged. "I guess she couldn't cut it in the restaurant business."

Teresa glared at us both. Then she winked and said very sweetly, "Remember it is I who will carry your food from the kitchen to your table. You don't want any mishaps this evening, do you?"

LOL! Lydia was aghast, and said she had no idea Teresa would say that. I pretended to ignore Lydia and told Teresa, "Oh, don't mind her, dear. She's really a pussycat. Her parole officer has nothing but good things to say about her, trust me."

That was a great evening! We traded one-liners and good-natured barbs and just had a good time of it. Lydia relaxed after that, and we over-tipped them both.

Teresa was a hoot, she was on top of things with a little help from Lydia, and all four of us had fun.

Tonight we went there again, and Teresa greeted us with, "Oh. You two. The outhouse is taken, so follow me."

She took us to a table and pulled out both chairs and said, "Sit. Stay. No begging."

LOL! I said, "Yeah, yeah, no tails in the plates. I get it."

We placed our order with jokes and when the salads came, she looked at them and said, "Nope. This is wrong," and took them back.

They were the right salads. She didn't think there were enough toppings on them for us, as the salad guy was new. Oh my, those salads were heaven on earth when she brought them back! Extra cheese, extra olives, extra bacon bits, and extra dressing on the side.

Wow....just wow. We thanked her profusely (no joking, we meant it) and she smiled and said, "I love to joke and cut up with people, and I'll never forget how you two made me feel like I belong here that first night."

We told her she did belong, and that we enjoyed her, and then I have to mess it up. I said, "Well, honey, to be honest, we've had a crappy day at work and we need someone to pick on."

She gave us her sweet smile again, and replied, "Of course, I understand. That's why I've seated you at the table that self-destructs after forty minutes, so you'd better eat up quick."

Now THAT's a server! We do like to interact with them. Tonight we found out she has been married four years (gorgeous wedding set) and they're saving money to have their first child. Her DH works for the sheriff's department running background checks for people applying for concealed-carry weapons and other administrative duties.

They have a beagle and two cats and they just bought a small starter home last fall.

So anyway, when we go out to eat, it can be so much fun to get to know your server. I asked her what dog and cat stuff her pets like and she told me. I'll be clipping coupons for her she can use for them.

I'm still laughing at: "Sit. Stay. No begging."

Thank you, Teresa!

Fun is always fun when both parties can pick up on it, eves dropping is another thing.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Oh, yeah. As story goes, apparently someone in the management of the establishment heard that same piece on the radio. That waiter got fired.

Life's too short. Even at upscale restaurants we still have fun with our server. I still hold to don't bring anything controversial, personal or sensitive to the dinner table when you're dining out.

That's what your home is for. And for heaven's sake, turn off the danged cellphone! Really.

Phones are a problem nowadays. But the people were having business lunch and were talking business.

Back
Top Bottom