"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-27-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
My sibs and I took Mom on a Caribbean cruise (Norwegian) years ago. She loved it. The bar bill was a rude awakening at the end

I agree with Bakechef, the workers make more than they would in their home countries. We prefer to stay on an island we've fallen in love with, that is also a major cruise ship stop (Cozumel) and the island takes very good care of cruise ship staff, having a number of restaurants catering to them. A couple who are good friends and restaurant owners there actually met while working on a cruise ship together.

I would love to do a Mediterranean cruise sometime, BIL and his ex went several times, and loved it. Alaska would be nice too, but we're snorkeling fools, and that might be a bit chilly!

I guess I'd be leary of a Carnival cruise after all their troubles.
And again, they had a fire on one of their ships at two in the morning last night. Another ship from another company was on standby in case there was to be an evacuation. They had the fire out by 5 a.m. Thank you Carnival, but I think I will stay right here at the bus stop and continue to wait for my boat to come in.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And again, they had a fire on one of their ships at two in the morning last night. Another ship from another company was on standby in case there was to be an evacuation. They had the fire out by 5 a.m. Thank you Carnival, but I think I will stay right here at the bus stop and continue to wait for my boat to come in.
Addie, for once, this one wasn't Carnival. It was Royal Caribbean this time and a Carnival ship was standing by if needed. Carnival had a horrible reputation even before the string of recent disasters and I wouldn't travel with Carnival if it was free.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

It was July 4th. The Enterprise Aircraft Carrier was in port in Boston. They were going to bring out the U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides) and turn her around as they do every July 4th. So the whole fam damily goes out into the middle of Boston Harbor on my BIL's boat so we can watch the ceremony. Now when OI leaves her berth, any boats in the harbor cannot have their engines running and must stay where they are until OI is back in her berth. On the way out to where we were going to drop anchor, I was fine. But once the boat stopped moving, the water was a bit rough from all the boats around us moving. I got seasick. And I mean REALLY seasick. I remember hearing the guns from OI giving a salute to the Enterprise and the return salute. I was laying on the deck and didn't see a thing. I do not remember being airlifted by the CG off the boat nor three of the four days I spent in the ICU. I had a severe second degree sunburn and was severely dehydrated and had sun stroke.

You can not even get me to stand on a dock today. I can't even watch the bow of a boat cutting through the water on TV. I immediately get dizzy and have to heave. I have to take meclizine twice a day today. It is the only way I can keep my balance and not spend the day hurling. Otherwise, I would love to go on a cruise. I love the ocean.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Addie, for once, this one wasn't Carnival. It was Royal Caribbean this time and a Carnival ship was standing by if needed. Carnival had a horrible reputation even before the string of recent disasters and I wouldn't travel with Carnival if it was free.
I'm with you, Kayelle. It's been said that it's cheaper to go on a Carnival cruise than it is to stay at a Motel 6 or Super 8.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Master Chef

I have thought about taking a cruise but, it is not easy to find one that will make allowances for a single person traveling alone. In most cases you are required to pay for two full fairs and although I understand it, I still think it is unfair.

If I do go believe me I will carry a buffet bag in order to get my money's worth!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm with you, Kayelle. It's been said that it's cheaper to go on a Carnival cruise than it is to stay at a Motel 6 or Super 8.
Yup, a classic case where you get what you pay for. I've known people who got sucked into the prices but floating beer bottles in the pool and vomit in the public restrooms because of the party animals isn't my idea of a good time. I feel really sorry for the crews on Carnival.

I've never been anything but happy on Princess, and they have a pretty good bang for the buck.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:15 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have thought about taking a cruise but, it is not easy to find one that will make allowances for a single person traveling alone. In most cases you are required to pay for two full fairs and although I understand it, I still think it is unfair.

If I do go believe me I will carry a buffet bag in order to get my money's worth!
I recall reading about some free service that will pair up single cruisers with another (same-sex) with similar interests, so they can share the fares. Sounded like a good idea.

I think a cruise is really something everyone should experience at least once!
Old 05-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #18
Senior Cook

FYI

Carnival Corporation operates as a cruise and vacation company worldwide. The company operates in two segments, North America; and Europe, Australia, and Asia. It provides cruises to various vacation destinations with a fleet of 100 cruise ships under the brand names of Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, and Seabourn in North America; and AIDA Cruises, Costa, Cunard, Ibero Cruises, and P&O Cruises in Europe, Australia, and Asia.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

A cruise has never sounded like fun to me. Day trip on a tour bus, fine...but I want to get out and climb on the scenery. Shrek and I want to do the bus trip through Glacier so we can both see the scenery. Not enough scenery on a ship.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Oh great. You go from one disaster ship to another for rescue. I think I will stay on dry land.