"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Old 05-27-2013, 02:50 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have thought about taking a cruise but, it is not easy to find one that will make allowances for a single person traveling alone. In most cases you are required to pay for two full fairs and although I understand it, I still think it is unfair.

If I do go believe me I will carry a buffet bag in order to get my money's worth!
Sorry Aunt Bea. I can't go as your roomie.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Yup, a classic case where you get what you pay for. I've known people who got sucked into the prices but floating beer bottles in the pool and vomit in the public restrooms because of the party animals isn't my idea of a good time. I feel really sorry for the crews on Carnival.

I've never been anything but happy on Princess, and they have a pretty good bang for the buck.
I've been on Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, and Carnival (5 times). I've never seen conditions like you describe. I stayed away from carnival for a long time because of that reputation, but was pleasantly surprised on my first carnival cruise, actually kind of shocked. The ship was spotless, and the food some of the best I've had at sea so far. My most recent cruise was their oldest smallest ship on a 7 day spring break cruise with the youngest mix of passengers yet, mostly college students. Even on this trip I saw no out of control drunkenness.

Other lines have prettier ships, but the experience over all was far more similar than different. My best cruise was on Royal Caribbean, and my worst by far was on Royal Caribbean, Carnival hasn't come close to as bad as my trip on Voyager of the Seas, even as bad as it was we had a good time, because I'll salvage a situation any way I can!

I avoid any cruise less than 7 days, the cheaper cruises for 3-4 days attract a much more party hardy crowd.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Jabbur it sounds like you're a perfect candidate for a river cruise as there's obviously no issue with sea sickness. We have been on some remarkable river cruises through Europe and this summer we'll be doing another one in Russia from Moscow to St. Petersburg.

As far as sea cruises are considered, I used to get terribly sea sick before I discovered that taking meclazine every morning, even the worst of seas don't affect me anymore. It works like a charm without any side effects for me at all.
I know they have the patches for motion sickness. Just not sure how drugged I may feel. We have a few years to figure it out I guess. We had talked about taking one for our 30th but we couldn't swing it financially. We had just finished paying for college for our youngest and had too many things that needed repaired on the house that we'd been putting off.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Back in the 70's I took the ferry from Seattle to Kodiak twice. Does that count as a cruise? I went to visit a friend who lived there. I went when the salmon were running. Both times I never ventured far from her porch. I could see the grizzlies and they weren't that far off. I helped her with smoking the salmon. And I brought a mess of it home. I did get to see a very large piece of the glacier calve off and into the sea. It was just at the end of summer while it was still warm enough to be melting the ice. Now that is a sight to see. Also got to see pods of whales and Orcas. But I saw them in Puget Sound every year. I was more imprressed with seeing the glacier break off. Sure did rock that ferry.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #26
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I know they have the patches for motion sickness. Just not sure how drugged I may feel. We have a few years to figure it out I guess. We had talked about taking one for our 30th but we couldn't swing it financially. We had just finished paying for college for our youngest and had too many things that needed repaired on the house that we'd been putting off.
Motion sickness tablets are over the counter. Meclizine is the generic name. Buy a bottle and try it out on a weekend to see how it effects you. Then you will know how you react to it.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #27
Senior Cook

I just love how Carnival gets a bad rap from people who never sailed with them. I like Carnival and enjoyed the food, the people and everything about our cruises. I've never seen any beer bottles in the pool or anyone throwing up.

I love the sea days more then being docked.

One thing I have learned though is that I won't do anymore Christmas cruises. We aren't into children and there were a lot of them on the Pride during our cruise.

For the week we did during spring break, I had south more fun watching the college kids having a blast but even then I never saw anything get out of hand. I did, however, had a blood sugar crash that left me look like the story above about unruly guests. It was bad and at the time my husband didn't listen to me about how I would need to be treated if something pile that happened. I could have died and he didn't know what to do. He knows now that diabetes is very serious but I'm sure people were talking about what a mess I was.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
I just love how Carnival gets a bad rap from people who never sailed with them...
I'm glad you enjoy your Carnival cruises. But you just have to see a few horror story reports on the news make you think another cruise line might be a good idea.

Carnival has had well publicized sea going disasters. I believe if other cruise lines had similar problems they would have made the new as well.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Motion sickness tablets are over the counter. Meclizine is the generic name. Buy a bottle and try it out on a weekend to see how it effects you. Then you will know how you react to it.
To expand on that info a little: Dramamine is dimenhydrinate and is sedating.
Bonine is meclizine and is typically non sedating.

Meclizine is the generic medicine in Antivert (Rx med) for vertigo.

It typically will work in a short amt of time but max benefit may be obtained by taking for 24 hrs prior to travel. I take one every night before bed time when cruising.

Since we travel a lot I buy Meclizine in bulk on line as the brand name Bonine is expensive.
I would never be able to fly or cruise without it!

Ahoy, I'm glad to hear you enjoy Carnival and also glad you were not on the floating beer bottles cruise. I have no reason to believe my friends were making up a story however.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
To expand on that info a little: Dramamine is dimenhydrinate and is sedating.
Bonine is meclizine and is typically non sedating.

Meclizine is the generic medicine in Antivert (Rx med) for vertigo.

It typically will work in a short amt of time but max benefit may be obtained by taking for 24 hrs prior to travel. I take one every night before bed time when cruising.

Since we travel a lot I buy Meclizine in bulk on line as the brand name Bonine is expensive.
I would never be able to fly or cruise without it!
I take the meclizine for vertigo. Only I take a really strong dose. I take 25 mg three times a day for vertigo. And that is every day. When that doesn't work, then my doctor puts me on promethazine. That knocks me out long enough for my vertigo to get under control. I wouldn't wish vertigo on an ex spouse. I can't look up at tall buildings, turn to quickly, even turn over in bed, or even go around a corner to quickly. I have to concentrate on every step I take.