"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #31
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've only used the meclizine for vertigo, never for motion sickness and I know I can use it and still drive to work. But, I can't say the same for Shrek, it knocks him out every time.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

I'm glad you enjoy your Carnival cruises. But you just have to see a few horror story reports on the news make you think another cruise line might be a good idea.

Carnival has had well publicized sea going disasters. I believe if other cruise lines had similar problems they would have made the new as well.
Thing is, right now anything that happens on a Carnival ship, or any other ship is going to be all over the news. Things happen all the time, that most would never hear of.

Carnival has been in the news lately, no doubt. Azmara, an upscale cruise line had a fire last year and had to be towed. Royal Caribbean just had a fire. One of Royal Caribbean's newest mega ships had a fire recently that luckily didn't leave it disabled, I can only imagine what a ship of 6000 passengers would have been like broken down. Princess had a major fire that caused major damage a few years ago.

This is just a small sampling of accidents that aren't carnival issues. The stories that you heard of the Triumph on the news were quite a bit different from reality. One person published their travel journal and said that she didn't realize how much they were suffering until they watched the news. I looked for any info I could since I had a carnival cruise coming up. There was no sewage running down the walls or shortage of food. Look up the first hand accounts, they are out there. The conditions on the Triumph weren't ideal, but far from dire.

My point is, there are issues on every cruise line. These ships sail 7days a week 365 days a year with a year or more between dry docks. Since the triumph incident the news jumps on everything, things that you would not have known about before.

Here is a cool site where you can look up all kinds of issues. http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
...This is just a small sampling of accidents that aren't carnival issues. The stories that you heard of the Triumph on the news were quite a bit different from reality. One person published their travel journal and said that she didn't realize how much they were suffering until they watched the news. I looked for any info I could since I had a carnival cruise coming up. There was no sewage running down the walls or shortage of food. Look up the first hand accounts, they are out there...
How do you explain the first hand videos shot by passengers and shown on TV of food shortages and sewage running down the halls.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to agree with you bakechef. I have a friend that lives in Windsor, Ontario. Her husband is a cruise ship chef. When he is out, everytime they hit port, he sends her a letter. One time he mentioned the tonnage of food they had taken on board at their last call and now were going to replace it at the present port. The cruise ship companies have contracts at each port to replace what was used up between ports. So when they were saying that they ran out of food, I seriously had my doubts.

As far as the toilets overflowing with sewage, I had my doubts about that also. On big ships toilets flush into a large tank down in the bowels (no pun intended) of the ship and then pumped out when they are far out at sea. Non biodegradable items are not removed until they are in port. They are stored in locked containers.

Well fed passengers do not make for interesting news. Clean toilets are a subject of interest to no one except the user. I have the feeling that there was more of a party atmosphere than one of total discomfort and serious health questions.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
How do you explain the first hand videos shot by passengers and shown on TV of food shortages and sewage running down the halls.
File footage?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
File footage?
That must have taken all those videos on a secret Carnival cruise disaster and hid them away for when they might need it.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:

Do you have a link to those videos? Sure there were some stopped up toilets that people used regardless of them not working. My point is, the news made it seem like a floating sewer. Reviews from people on that trip tell a different story. There will always be people willing to exaggerate to get attention.

I read from a passenger that after they boarded the bus after departing the ship, that meals from the Honey baked ham store were passed out, she said "this would be the fifth meal of the day"

There was some food hoarding early on, but after that started happening, they started passing out food instead of the normal buffet style.

Reminds me of when the Splendor had trouble, the news was reporting that they were being airlifted Spam which happened to be untrue as well.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:33 AM   #38
Senior Cook

Quote:
I'm glad you enjoy your Carnival cruises. But you just have to see a few horror story reports on the news make you think another cruise line might be a good idea.

Carnival has had well publicized sea going disasters. I believe if other cruise lines had similar problems they would have made the new as well.
See, that the thing about CNN & FOX, Royal seems to have more jumpers then Carnival but they pick on Carnival about everything because they are the largest cruise line out there.

you never hear about the rescues Carnival do with stranded ships like the one that just happened again over the weekend where they saved a few men's lives that were stuck out at sea for a week or longer.

The way CNN covered the Triumph was totally out of hand. Go over to cruisecritic.com & read the Carnival board from people that were onboard that ship.

It wasn't nearly as bad as the news made it out to be. Carnival had opened up their bars for free so the fun could continue but guess who ruined that nice gesture??? That's right, the drunks who abused the free drinks. There was plenty of food but Carnival made the mistake of allowing the guests to take the food from the buffet lines so people were taking the meat & cheese out of the other sandwiches & leaving just the onions, again, not Carnival's fault that people acted like they had to go into full survival mode.

The so called sewage running on the floors came from the water that was used to put out the fire. Have you ever seen water that put out a fire? It's dirty.

Now, I'm not saying that this was a dream vacation cruise. There were complications especially for the handicapped people who normally stay on the lower levels. They were stuck on their decks because the elevators were not working so they did have a bit of a difficult time coping. Yes, Carnival made some mistakes & they have put forth better standards because they learned from it.

No one died but I do think 2 passengers had to be airlifted for medical reasons.

Carnival sets the costs for cruising for all the cruise lines just like Wally World does with other stores by trying to be the cost of items at fair price.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
No one died but I do think 2 passengers had to be airlifted for medical reasons.
A much higher percentage than that head to the ER on a daily basis on dry land...
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Do you have a link to those videos?...
I saw them the old fashioned way, on TV. I'm sure if you check Youtube you'll find some.