Ever been skydiving?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I am a little shaky and nervous today, my boyfriend has decided to get his skydiving license. Today is his first day to jump. I don't really know why he would want to jump out of a moving object into the sky to plummet down torwards the earth, but he does.:( Please pray for his safe jumps this week.

Prayers are being sent!!!
I am too afraid of heights myself. My hubby would do it though. I don't think too many guys have a fear factor :eek:)

I'm praying. :) I have always wanted to go skydiving, but I would probably have to hire someone to come along and push me out of the plane!

:) Barbara

Not sure I should post this or not. I had planned on skydiving and it was 2 weeks before I was suppose to go up. Someone I know went up the weekend before me and broke both his legs. Needless to say, I didn't go and was happy to not get a refund. I took it as a warning and have never regretted not going up.

Prayers are also being sent for his safe return from me.

I have never been skydiving and have no urge to. What I cannot believe is our smokejumpers jump out of a plane and then fight a fire. Whew!! That would be way too much of an adrenalin rush for me. I visited the McCall smokejumper base in McCall, Idaho when I was on a fire assignment up there. It is amazing what those guys and gals do for a living. Our smokejumper base in California is in Redding. Lets hope that we don't have any major fires this summer and them and all firefighters stay safe.

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/people/smokejumpers/redding/

Last edited:
the rush is incredible, but it's kinda hard to breathe until you get used to it.

is he going for his first solo/non-stat jump, or is he just starting out, abj?

btw, it's not the drop that kills you, it's the sudden deceleration... and the bounce...

Last edited:
My 50+ year old dad started skydiving about 2 years ago. He is now hooked and recently jumped from a plane in Maui, he said he could see the whole island from up there. He's a bit of a thrill seeker, my dad, you could probably tell just from looking at him with his nose ring and purple hair. Sometimes I wonder who is more "grown up."

hmmm, your son has a purple face, and his granddad has purple hair. i'm starting to see a family resemblance...lol....

can wasabi and i come with you marge? the three of us could fill up the ballon with enough hot air, who needs propane?

My wife once told her dad that she wanted to try sky diving. He works for the FAA and has access to all the accident reports that have to do with planes. Well my wife started receiving emails every day from her dad of sky diving accidents. She decided she would not make the jump after all (not cause she was scared, but just to make the emails stop). What he doesn't tell you is how many people do it and walk away just fine. She is lucky he doesn't work for the DMV or he would send her car accident reports when she wants to buy a new car :mrgreen:

I would love to go sky diving, but I doubt I would ever get up the courage to jump out of a plane. The only way I would be able to do it is one of those tandem jumps, but I doubt I will ever try.

When the day comes that I'm on a plane and someone hands me a chute and says "The plane's going down" I'll be the first one out the door. Until then, I see no reason to jump out of a properly function aircraft in flight...

This from the guy who wants to swim in one of those shark cages with Great Whites around...

John

Nope! Not me! I'll stay in the plane thank you very much. Paul's jumped though and he loved it. For his birthday last year I bought him a gift certificate for a tandom jump with a paraglider. He'll do that this summer. He's a little sad because I won't do it with him but... there's just no way in the world that I could take that first big step. I'll wait on the ground for him to land. We live right by a huge hill that paragliders jump from and it is really beautiful seeing 15 -25 gliders all in the air at the same time.

I always wanted to go but by the time I could afford to go I was to heavy to jump. This reminds me of the time I signed up to ride a bull in arodeo but I got hit by a car two days before the rodeo and crushed my left leg.

Well, I get vertigo just looking over the stair bannisters, and have to tranquilise myself with sleep aids before I can get on a plane.....which is a bit of a problem because DH is taking flying lessons at the moment, and is planning to hire a plane to take us on vacations in the future, once he's got his license.....I keep trying to convince him that I'd much prefer hiring an RV....

Paint.

Bangbang said:
I always wanted to go but by the time I could afford to go I was to heavy to jump. This reminds me of the time I signed up to ride a bull in arodeo but I got hit by a car two days before the rodeo and crushed my left leg.

bang, i think the guy in the car that hit you was trying to save the bull...

Back
Top Bottom